User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 33

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Tertiary Temptation
    For introverts
    "When introverts run into a situation that their Dominant Function can't handle, they need to adapt by negotiating, going along with the limitations of low-bandwidth social interaction, or otherwise doing something that does not involve total control or understanding of the situation. The Tertiary Function provides justification for maintaining an Introverted approach directly opposite to the worldly expansiveness that the person is ready for."

    "Tertiary Ni: "I can't possibly go along with this, 'cuz it's all a lie. It's all a set-up by the Man. I'd just be serving his interests and not my own. I'm not gonna be suckered by all this self-serving bull. No way, man, I gotta go my own way." Or "Why should I imitate the cool people? Despite their shiny clothes and social connections, they are still as vulnerable as anyone else.""

    Introverted Intuition
    "...tertiary Ni can give ISFPs the will to hold to a belief even when others don't agree with it..."
    Ni is not all negative as a tertiary function though. You need to learn to use Ni and balance it with your Se. S like facts and detail, where N likes possibilities. S can shoot N down and N can shoot S down. If I am stuck and need help I turn to Ni. Whatever Ni comes up with I try and use Se to verify or prove it. Its like an N arguing with a S. We can shoot down there theories and possibilities with fact. They can shoot down something we believe to be fact with theory or the how and why. When in N mode I get these thoughts and immediatley have to use my Se and verify if they are true. With an Ne they can branch out without actually having data to support, To me Ni seems to need data or else it goes the wrong way. I get alot of data for Ni by learning why and how things work. Being introverted I read alot. I like theory that contains alot of data and facts that are known to be true. If I let my Ni take over though it makes me think that what my Ni comes up with as fact(become stubborn with what I think is fact). So to stay healthy as an Se and not let Ni take over we need to question our Ni and verify what it comes up with before we act on it.

    To give an example. I see alot of N and S in my son(he is almost 5). He becomes very stubborn because he takes his N as fact. He will argue "I know you did this because of..." Using something Se as a reason. He is using N supported by S and believes what N decides to be a fact and becomes very stubborn and hard headed even when I prove him wrong with Se and his Fe comes out with a grunt. Eventually his hard headed ness goes away and out comes the sad/mad face, he knows he was wrong but doesnt want to admit defeat. Holy crap that was one of those "ah-ha" moments, tying together something I my Ni came up with and actual Se data.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    To give an example. I see alot of N and S in my son(he is almost 5). He becomes very stubborn because he takes his N as fact. He will argue "I know you did this because of..." Using something Se as a reason. He is using N supported by S and believes what N decides to be a fact and becomes very stubborn and hard headed even when I prove him wrong with Se and his Fe comes out with a grunt. Eventually his hard headed ness goes away and out comes the sad/mad face, he knows he was wrong but doesnt want to admit defeat. Holy crap that was one of those "ah-ha" moments, tying together something I my Ni came up with and actual Se data.
    To summarize, to strengthen our tertiary Ni function we need lots of Se data and to stay healthy we must never believe that what our Ni comes up with as fact or truth. We need to stay open and flexible with what we come up with.

    Hopefully I am not way off.

  3. #23
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Sarah referred me to Dario Nardis book "8 Keys to Self Leadership: from Awareness to Action" which says:
    We can get powerful results using extraverted Sensing in tandem with introverted Intuiting. We can be very tuned in to the surrounding environment, with anticipation of whats coming next. We may constantly read our industrys current news to be sure to catch the next wave of innovations. Or we can engage people in fun activities, drawing them out and helping them transform themselves. We might pull a shy person onto the dance floor, convinced that there is an inner dancer waiting to be released; that person experiences his or her potential firsthand. Or we might shape the current context to what we envision it can be, like a sculptor who can see the final statue within a chunk of marble and sculpts everything else away to get to it.

  4. #24
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Do estp lose things too ? (cough)
    I'm trying to bond here
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  5. #25
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Tertiary is imaginary.
    Si-tertiary has been a compelling force in my psyche for maybe 25 years. The problem with TiNe is its correlation with living in one's head and neglecting real-life necessities.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #26
    Mind Wanderer Zeego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Si-tertiary has been a compelling force in my psyche for maybe 25 years. The problem with TiNe is its correlation with living in one's head and neglecting real-life necessities.
    Would you say your Si is stronger than your Ne, and has it always been that strong or only become stronger with time?
    We will meet again in Etruria.

    INTP
    INFp/IEI
    5w4 - 9w1 - 4w5 sp/sx
    MelPhleg

    Johari | Nohari

  7. #27
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Si-tertiary has been a compelling force in my psyche for maybe 25 years. The problem with TiNe is its correlation with living in one's head and neglecting real-life necessities.
    How do you know?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  8. #28
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    I wrote: "Si-tertiary has been a compelling force in my psyche for maybe 25 years. The problem with TiNe is its correlation with living in one's head and neglecting real-life necessities."
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeego View Post
    Would you say your Si is stronger than your Ne, and has it always been that strong or only become stronger with time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    How do you know?
    According to the JCF tests I've taken, my Si is not stronger than my Ne. But they conflict nevertheless. So for @Jeffster, the answer to how I know is when a type of conflict presents itself in my mind. Ne despises control; Si despises chaos. The type of control that Ne despises is that which stifles its need for creativity and limits possibilities. Ne needs to experience change; Si needs to experience sameness and routine.

    My work demands Si sameness and routine. Most work does. It took me many years to get used to the idea. Many times in the past, Ne invoked Shadow Ni in order to create a depressing view of my future as one of dull sameness. I know it was Ni because of its method of relating the past into the future via the present. It was a bad habit of thinking that was undercutting any idea of hope for the future, and so it needed to be stopped. Exercising Si by focusing on the moment in terms of rules that I set for myself (Si is rules-oriented), and then on short-term positive goals, helped keep my mind grounded and killed most of Ni's shadowy aspects.

    Later, there came the terror of having to take phone calls at a new job. These were/are tech support calls and not sales-related or collection agency work (thank god). I focused my energies on helping people with their computer problems and learning more useful techniques for fixing computer software, as well as obeying the rules of a company whereas previously I had created my own rules. After almost five years of that I now feel Si strong enough to take on sales or collection agency work involving grouchy people if I have to. The Ne need for spontaneity can come later, during breaks or after work, and of course there are the weekends to look forward to.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #29
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I wrote: "Si-tertiary has been a compelling force in my psyche for maybe 25 years. The problem with TiNe is its correlation with living in one's head and neglecting real-life necessities."



    According to the JCF tests I've taken, my Si is not stronger than my Ne. But they conflict nevertheless. So for @Jeffster, the answer to how I know is when a type of conflict presents itself in my mind. Ne despises control; Si despises chaos. The type of control that Ne despises is that which stifles its need for creativity and limits possibilities. Ne needs to experience change; Si needs to experience sameness and routine.

    My work demands Si sameness and routine. Most work does. It took me many years to get used to the idea. Many times in the past, Ne invoked Shadow Ni in order to create a depressing view of my future as one of dull sameness. I know it was Ni because of its method of relating the past into the future via the present. It was a bad habit of thinking that was undercutting any idea of hope for the future, and so it needed to be stopped. Exercising Si by focusing on the moment in terms of rules that I set for myself (Si is rules-oriented), and then on short-term positive goals, helped keep my mind grounded and killed most of Ni's shadowy aspects.

    Later, there came the terror of having to take phone calls at a new job. These were/are tech support calls and not sales-related or collection agency work (thank god). I focused my energies on helping people with their computer problems and learning more useful techniques for fixing computer software, as well as obeying the rules of a company whereas previously I had created my own rules. After almost five years of that I now feel Si strong enough to take on sales or collection agency work involving grouchy people if I have to. The Ne need for spontaneity can come later, during breaks or after work, and of course there are the weekends to look forward to.
    No, I mean how do you know any of that is "Si" or "Ni" or whatever?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  10. #30
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    No, I mean how do you know any of that is "Si" or "Ni" or whatever?
    Si is rules-oriented and rejects change, Ni is concept-oriented.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. How does your name affect your personality?
    By Aquarelle in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 12-20-2014, 05:46 PM
  2. How does Bipolar disorder affect personality type?
    By Tyrinth in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 09:18 PM
  3. [NF] How does unresolved conflict affect you?
    By fidelia in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM
  4. How does chronic illness affect type?
    By TexasChaos in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO