User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 31

  1. #11
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Being educated/getting good grades isn't the same thing as being smart, as anyone attending university should know. Many of the people I've met who get the top grades, often ISXJs, can get excellent grades via rote memorization without actually being clever (though some are clever as well, of course). I am not sure whether you mean genuinely smart or just able to get good grades, which any fool with a lot of time/patience can do.

    If you do mean people who are actually intelligent, it surpises me that you prefer to interact with people whom you perceive as being below you in intellectual ability. You're the first person I've talked to expressing that preference. I would be so bored talking to stupid people, but I suppose everyone has different needs.

    It also sounds as though you're saying that you dislike arrogant/confidently smart people, which doesn't make much sense, as that is a trait I have seen far more often in NTs than Ss (in general of course). It makes me wonder if you are assuming that people you see as smart in a "good" way are Ns, which may not be the case.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Being educated/getting good grades isn't the same thing as being smart, as anyone attending university should know. Many of the people I've met who get the top grades, often ISXJs, can get excellent grades via rote memorization without actually being clever (though some are clever as well, of course). I am not sure whether you mean genuinely smart or just able to get good grades, which any fool with a lot of time/patience can do.

    If you do mean people who are actually intelligent, it surpises me that you prefer to interact with people whom you perceive as being below you in intellectual ability. You're the first person I've talked to expressing that preference.
    I prefer to interact with smart N's.

    but if I have to interact with S's, often I find it easier to get on with the not so smart ones, because they are easier to deal with. a smart S can make you think you have these things in common, but when it coems down to it, you don't. it's the most frustrating experience.

    well that's my experience. I don't think it can be "wrong".
    dead man talking

  3. #13
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    I would take an emotionally intelligent sensor over any type who was really intelligent but cold at heart. I would also take a quirky, original person over a really smart but unoriginal meme repeater. I value people who have thinking hearts.

  4. #14
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Qui Parla View Post
    clever S's are very sharp, witty and observant...they can tear an N apart and they are very good at the things we aren't good at
    Sharp, witty and observant are independant of type.

  5. #15
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Qui Parla View Post
    ok maybe srtupid is a harsh word, but...you'll all get over it. and no-one is going to define themselves as stupid, so no-one need be offended
    I'm stupid.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    I think it depends more on what mbti type the S is rather than how smart they are.

    You probably just get along better with say... an ISFP rather than a ESTJ for example

    Of course how smart someone is factors in

  7. #17
    Senior Member Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    426

    Default

    I don't think it's really a matter of intelligence at all. I think that a lot of the time, we ASSUME that clever, witty people have a preference for Intuition, or that whimsy and fantasy are solely the realm of Ns, but fail to realize this isn't the case. I think a big part of the problem is that, if someone doesn't agree with you, you might tend to label them a "smartass rigid S" wanting to stigmatize them. It's another form of stereotyping - I know many great, creative, fun-loving people of all MBTI types.

    I don't know, this whole post just has this air of arrogance to it. It's like saying "I can handle the stupid people who notice details (but they don't obviously because they're stupid haha), but the ones who think they can handle me in a conversation I don't like cause they think they know everything, but I obviously know everything." I understand that this may be your personal experience, but this is just another way that the MBTI is used as a tool to stigmatize people that you don't like into one category. It just isn't meant to be used this way.

    No offense intended, but that's just the way I saw this post. I'm probably not 100% accurate, but I just don't like this type of discussion about people of a wide swath of personalities all being lumped into one category and given negative traits.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

    Fonewearl and proud of it!

    I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

  8. #18
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I'm stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I would take an emotionally intelligent sensor over any type who was really intelligent but cold at heart. I would also take a quirky, original person over a really smart but unoriginal meme repeater. I value people who have thinking hearts.

    Jeff: no you're not (and if you are, then so am I). There are 9 types of intelligence, and EQ is one of 'em. I agree with Heart on this issue. EQ can bridge the gap between N's and S's just fine, as long as both sides employ it.

    I work with two ESFJs and one ESTJ. And the ESTJ is actually one of the very smart ones that I get on with brilliantly (so far ). In fact, its the IXTJ that I don't have a very good click with, not that we don't get on. But considering my preferences for INTJ, you'd expect it differently. She's just way less openminded than the ESTJ (these people were btw tested in an MBTI class in order to get certified in the system; they're psychologists). The resident ENXP is my fav new friend, of course. And although I get on with the ESFJs, there's one that feels more restrictive/judgemental to me, and it's not my boss, thank god.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  9. #19
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Qui Parla View Post
    I disagree.

    I'm friends with a group of clever N's.

    there are lots of smart ESXX's at my uni who are very sharp and educated, but who I just don't get on with, because they'll have no patience for a whimsical approach to things. perhaps you think they're too clever for me, but I just don't think that. they're clever in a different way, but by no "objective" measure, ie academic ability, are they "cleverer".

    However, I can find it easy to get on with not conventionally clever sensors, because they aren't pretentious. seems to me that smart S's I know are very concerned with the "appearance" of being clever and they need you to be always "on your game", something I don't do very well. the not so clever or educated ones just don't give a fuck, and I can relate to that. I guess I present a modest face ot the world on purpose, and they present a modest face to the world by accident, so we get on. however, smart sensors I know, at least the ESXX ones but often the ISXX ones when you get to know them, are very concerned with presenting a clever face to the world too.
    With what validity do you equivocate being clever with being pretentious?

    Also, it seems like you dislike extroverts, and assume that most of them are pretentious too.

    Finally, how do you that someone is "concerned" with presenting a clever face to the world? Everyone I know who is intelligent and functional tries to do the best at whatever it is they are engaged in, unless of course everyone is just pissing off and goofing around, so what does that have to do with "presenting a clever face to the world?" I think that's more likely a sign of a capable person applying themselves to the task at hand. They probably don't give a rat's ass if you or anybody else thinks they are clever or not, they know what their own capabilities/limitations are and are simply operating around them.

    I know a few pretentious INXX folks myself. Any type can be pretentious, it is not a trait that is limited to sensors alone, or extroverts.

    Thoughts?

  10. #20

    Default

    I think you are intimidated by smart S's, in particular by their charisma, and might feel inferior to them because you assume N's ('or less smarter S's') take a less "dominating situational position". *
    The thing is you can "beat them right back" from the moment you'll believe in what you are saying the same way you think they believe in what they are saying. your spiderwebbish whimsical approach might actually be something challenging/interesting for them as well - just don't fear their self-assuredness when they talk about something they are good at.

    * Halla74 put this well:
    a sign of a capable person applying themselves to the task at hand.

Similar Threads

  1. [ESTJ] How to get along with ESTJ's
    By INTPness in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 01:09 PM
  2. [MBTItm] New graduate. All my "mentors" are idiots, and looking to get on a power trip. Help!
    By mysavior in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
  3. This is just beginning to get on my nerves...
    By MerkW in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO