• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] How do you deal with ESTPs?

D

Dali

We have an incredibly similar sense of humour and, once I get to know one, we get along like a house on fire... for a week or two and then I start avoiding them and they get perplexed. Perhaps I've only been meeting unhealthy ESTPs but a common thread with all that I've known is an intense need to manipulate and control other people. All of them that I've known, ranging from my father to my flatmate, have been like that. And a lot of the time, it either ends with a confrontation (which they seem to thrive on but which is draining for me) or me giving in and resenting the person later on.

How do you best deal with them... or should I be reduced to avoiding them altogether?

Mo

wolfy

awsm
We have an incredibly similar sense of humour and, once I make friends with one, we get along like a house on fire... for a week or two. Perhaps I've only been meeting unhealthy ESTPs but a common thread with all that I've known is an intense need to manipulate and control other people. All that I've known, ranging from my father to my housemate, have been like that. And a lot of the time, it either ends with a confrontation (which they seem to thrive on but which is draining for me) or me giving in and resenting the person later on.

How do you best deal with them... or should I be reduced to avoiding them altogether?

Mo

I've met a few unhealthy ones. I like to keep away. Too much.

Unique

Can't say I've ever felt the need to manipulate or control others... sounds more like something my ESTJ father would do. I'm more into freedom of the people.

Could you be a little more specific?

T

ThatGirl

they do always have a way of getting their way, but i think it is less stratigic and more that they are just bad ass and stuborn, and also they suck very very much

How do you deal with ESTPs? You never really do, even if you think you are.

Ones I met were not into drama, but it seemed to trail in their wake. Don't love them or hate them but wouldn't choose to "deal" with them anymore.

Addict_Inquiry

MBTI Type
ENTJ
My best friend is an ESTP, I now know, and this explains much about our disagreements. I work with an older ESTP (I'm 23, he's 37). He's quite a character, and if it weren't for his devastating cocaine habit he'd be a much more stable individual. He consistently takes ever riskier risks and is completely self-absorbed and unaware of others' feelings, though he is quick to say the contrary if he thinks it'll get him into her bed.

D

Dali

I've met a few unhealthy ones. I like to keep away. Too much.

I don't want to have to resort to that but seems to be the only viable option I can see right now which is why I'm asking for tips on how others deal with them when they're being as they tend to be (the ones Ive known).

Can't say I've ever felt the need to manipulate or control others... sounds more like something my ESTJ father would do. I'm more into freedom of the people.

Could you be a little more specific?

Pal will ask me to do X, I'll (cordially) pass, pal will persist and persist in the most annoying manner possible and will be even be a little aggressive (in a 'friendly' and 'humourous' manner) till I rather rudely shut him out or give in. Pal will emotionally manipulate you (one told me about his deceased mother right before he asked me for a huge favour). Pal will tell me what to do, how and when to do it and he knows what's best for me. Pal looks down upon what I do and quite judgmentally puts it down as it doesn't correspond to what his view on it is (I've been called a idiot - in much less cordial terms - for being a fan of fiction books when I could as well watch a movie). Pal is incredibly perceptive about my facial expressions (always 'calling me out' on being tired, annoyed... whatever 'negative expression') but will never catch on the times that he is the cause of my annoyance. Rather ironically, pal has a strong desire for independence and resents it when he feels that he's being told what to do. That has been a common thread among all the friendships I've made with ESTPs.

Another thing that I'm not very fond of is that they tend to be rather proud of the violent (and most of them completely unnecessary) physical altercations they've been involved in and are very confrontational.

How do you deal with ESTPs? You never really do, even if you think you are.

Could you please elaborate on that?

T

ThatGirl

Could you please elaborate on that?

I guess what I mean by that is you may think you are "dealing" with an ESTP but in they end they are uncomprimising, stubborn, self validating individuals, who always consider themselves right beceause they honestly believe they are right and if they aren't they simply blow it off as they dont care. It is what it is.

They will accept any viewpoint that is contredictory as insignificant to themselves and will continue to do as they please without hessitation and without contemplation of their actions. Should you pose a threat to an ESTP you will be stricktly banned and considered the enemy who threatens their existance.

I guess what I am saying is that they will play along if there is something for them, and if not they couldn't give two shits about making it known they were only for themselves.

I've had a bad run with ESTPs as well so I can say that my view may be biased but ultimatly, I'm just glad I moved.

Unique

Pal will ask me to do X, I'll (cordially) pass, pal will persist and persist in the most annoying manner possible and will be even be a little aggressive (in a 'friendly' and 'humourous' manner) till I rather rudely shut him out or give in. Pal will emotionally manipulate you (one told me about his deceased mother right before he asked me for a huge favour). Pal will tell me what to do, how and when to do it and he knows what's best for me. Pal looks down upon what I do and quite judgmentally puts it down as it doesn't correspond to what his view on it is (I've been called a idiot - in much less cordial terms - for being a fan of fiction books when I could as well watch a movie). Pal is incredibly perceptive about my facial expressions (always 'calling me out' on being tired, annoyed... whatever 'negative expression') but will never catch on the times that he is the cause of my annoyance. Rather ironically, pal has a strong desire for independence and resents it when he feels that he's being told what to do. That has been a common thread among all the friendships I've made with ESTPs.

Another thing that I'm not very fond of is that they tend to be rather proud of the violent (and most of them completely unnecessary) physical altercations they've been involved in and are very confrontational.

Alright I think I've got some tips for you now.

ESTPs (like myself) think they can sell anyone on any idea. The best thing to do is to make it an "impossible sale". You will only be able to deal on a logical level with an ESTP its not that they don't care about people, its that they don't understand peoples feelings as well as other types... they simply don't take them into account.

ESTPs like it when you "sell" back to them and they love team work. If theres something that needs to be done often the ESTP can get things started and someone else can help finish as they struggle with that.

Your friend sounds like a bit of a douche bag no offence. Most ESTPs are extreamly well liked. In fact they are one of the more "popular" personality types in a lot of cases.

So try to motivate your friend to help you rather than simply putting you down.

Edit: I also noticed you are in fact an F type. This could be why you are having issues with them. Just make sure you speak to the ESTP with your brain, not your heart.

T

ThatGirl

Alright I think I've got some tips for you now.

ESTPs (like myself) think they can sell anyone on any idea. The best thing to do is to make it an "impossible sale". You will only be able to deal on a logical level with an ESTP its not that they don't care about people, its that they don't understand peoples feelings as well as other types... they simply don't take them into account.

ESTPs like it when you "sell" back to them and they love team work. If theres something that needs to be done often the ESTP can get things started and someone else can help finish as they struggle with that.

Your friend sounds like a bit of a douche bag no offence. Most ESTPs are extreamly well liked. In fact they are one of the more "popular" personality types in a lot of cases.

So try to motivate your friend to help you rather than simply putting you down.

Edit: I also noticed you are in fact an F type. This could be why you are having issues with them. Just make sure you speak to the ESTP with your brain, not your heart.

#1)They do not deal with objective logic, it is subjective to themselves

#2)Needy, without being reciprocated

Ok, I'm done

No more ESTP hate'n

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you sure this friend is not ESTJ? Desire to control you and constantly tell you what's best for you sounds awfully J to me.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Are you sure this friend is not ESTJ? Desire to control you and constantly tell you what's best for you sounds awfully J to me.
The characteristic, I believe, is too variable to be reliably applied to a preference of Judging.

D

Dali

Your friend sounds like a bit of a douche bag no offence.

If you'll scroll back up, you'll notice that I mentioned that the behaviour I mentioned has been a common thread among all my ESTP pals (and my dad too. But he's developed his F side and mellowed down a lot in the past half-decade)

Most ESTPs are extreamly well liked. In fact they are one of the more "popular" personality types in a lot of cases.

And my friends were all very much charmed by my housemate when they first met him. Two of my pals crashed at my place for a week (in separate stays) and, when they left, each of them was at the end of their tether and they remarked on my seemingly boundless patience in my interactions with him.

How do you propose I do that? With my housemate, the only time he respected my space was for a few days when I got as aggressive in my communication as he was and he seemed to respect that. I reverted to my usual self and, what do you, he did too. The ones I've known don't respect assertiveness; only aggressiveness.

Thanks for the advice on 'selling'.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
How do you propose I do that?
I don't think you can. I've been trying to get my dad, the ISFP, to do that for as long as I can remember, to no avail except frustration. I have actually tried giving up countless times, but of course he won't let me, as he forwards his F-based opinions on politics and such regularly.

D

Dali

ESTJ's desire to control comes from a place of adhering to social mores...etc
My ESTP pals' desire to control comes from a place of what is best for them and THEY THINK is best for me.

I don't think you can. I've been trying to get my dad, the ISFP, to do that for as long as I can remember, to no avail except frustration. I have actually tried giving up countless times, but of course he won't let me, as he forwards his F-based opinions on politics and such regularly.

I can communicate quite well with my other T friends but it's the ESTP's particular brand of logic that puzzles me and I was seeking a response on what 'thinking with your head' means to an ESTP.

Unique

#1)They do not deal with objective logic, it is subjective to themselves

#2)Needy, without being reciprocated

Ok, I'm done

No more ESTP hate'n

I didn't quote your other posts but you are just being plain bitter towards a type for no good reason now. What I said DOES apply to any healthy ESTP and most are far from needy people.

I would have to agree with you, from what I've heard described about this friend it sounds much more like an ESTJ to me. I can not relate to a lot of what has been said so it does sound a lot more like my ESTJ father than myself.

Thanks for the advice on 'selling'.

It was a metaphor. :doh:

Pal will ask me to do X, I'll (cordially) pass, pal will persist and persist in the most annoying manner possible and will be even be a little aggressive (in a 'friendly' and 'humourous' manner) till I rather rudely shut him out or give in.

Pal will tell me what to do, how and when to do it and he knows what's best for me.

With my housemate, the only time he respected my space was for a few days when I got as aggressive in my communication as he was and he seemed to respect that.

Anyone else smell ESTJ?

Sorry, but its true... I can relate to a lot of this only because it sounds like you are describing my father and I assure you, he annoys me.

I know you seem hellbent convinced that this is ESTP behavior but I suggest you read some more descriptions.

The most controlling thing I've personally done is probably give someone reasonable advice... which is hardly controlling.

My ESTJ father on the other hand cannot stand things not to be the way they "should" be.

I can also relate in the fact that he makes stupid jokes that are not funny that usually come back to him wanting you to do something.

In a living situation the ESTP is likely to be a bit on the messy disorganized carefree side. While they like to "do" things as in... practical application... they usually need what they deem to be a "good" reason for doing the task. Often ESTPs are likely to be the kind to hire people to clean their house!

I'm constantly searching for the "easier" way to do something. If there is a faster and better way than ill do it.

On the other hand a ESTJ hates this behavior. They want closure and will do WHATEVER it takes to get it done even if it does not end up being the best way.

D

Dali

It was a metaphor. :doh:

I know.

In a living situation the ESTP is likely to be a bit on the messy disorganized carefree side. While they like to "do" things as in... practical application... they usually need what they deem to be a "good" reason for doing the task. Often ESTPs are likely to be the kind to hire people to clean their house! .... I'm constantly searching for the "easier" way to do something. If there is a faster and better way than ill do it.

That describes him perfectly and, believe me, I've not mistyped him. I'm speaking in particular about my former housemate but a lot of what I mentioned also applies to others of the type that I've known.

Perhaps my type, with our behind-the-scenes communication style, is just incompatible with that particular type. I'd like to hear from ISFPs on this.

Unique

I know.

That describes him perfectly and, believe me, I've not mistyped him. I'm speaking in particular about my former housemate but a lot of what I mentioned also applies to others of the type that I've known.

Perhaps my type, with our behind-the-scenes communication style, is just incompatible with that particular type.

Its possible... with introverted feeling being dominant an ESTP may seem like some kind of deadly weapon to you.

If you truely want to believe that there is no hope for improvement than we may as well stop talking now.

wolfy

awsm
The only advice I can give you is the ESTPs I was thinking about came around alot when I proved myself (this was at work).

The unfortunate thing is by that time I'd made my decision "screw you".
You're either on my side or not.

You need some leverage. Something they want. Those are the rules the type of person you're describing whether ESTP or ESTJ deals in.

I have to think about it. I will post later.

wolfy

awsm
We have an incredibly similar sense of humour and, once I get to know one, we get along like a house on fire... for a week or two and then I start avoiding them and they get perplexed. Perhaps I've only been meeting unhealthy ESTPs but a common thread with all that I've known is an intense need to manipulate and control other people. All of them that I've known, ranging from my father to my flatmate, have been like that. And a lot of the time, it either ends with a confrontation (which they seem to thrive on but which is draining for me) or me giving in and resenting the person later on.

Mo

Maybe you could try detachment. You say you get along well for a while. Some people show they care by seeking to influence others. So they could be attempting to build the relationship.

There is the difference the between manipulation and influence too as I'm sure you're aware. Sometimes I find myself blocking peoples influence out of habit.

So I would say the best way to deal with them is with an ironic detachment.
That's what I try to do at least.

Cool was once an attitude fostered by rebels and underdogs, such as slaves, prisoners, bikers and political dissents, etc., for whom open rebellion invited punishment, so it hid its defiance behind a wall of ironic detachment, distancing itself from the source of authority rather than directly confronting it.

Am I helping at all or am I way off?