• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] How do you deal with ESTPs?

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Avoiding is the best way to deal with a difficult person....... If murder is not possible that is.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm extremely ESTP and reading these comments of theirs on a finally blunt laundry list of ESTP issues feels so good. They're hella accurate on where I've been at different points in my life.
I think this is the answer. I can see the ESTP appreciating direct communication. People can also always choose avoidance if they don't want interaction with someone - ESTP or otherwise. There are some types that I think direct communication can result in fiasco, although I know generally counselors tell everyone to talk things out. People who are highly complex with language who can twist reality, or lie a lot can be a problem communicating with directly and also people in power over you who are hyper-sensitive to criticism (like employers) can have bad repercussion when speaking too directly.

I was reading in this thread references to manipulation. I have an idea that manipulation or perhaps providing a more neutral term, is an additional personality parameter that can apply to any personality. There is a way each type can be the most or least manipulative. I can see some ESTPs being so direct and concrete that they would be the last one to manipulate, but there is also the conman stereotype. I'm not sure what that dichotomy would be called but it has to do with solving problems in circumventing sorts or ways as opposed to direct approaches.

I used to have a brother in law who was a strongly ESTP person. He did enjoy talking about scams and seeing through cons. He also took very direct approaches to solving problems like when he saw two kids bullying a special needs, developmentally delayed kid, he walked over and slammed their heads together and walked away, never saying a word. That was a very ESTP moment.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I think this is the answer. I can see the ESTP appreciating direct communication. People can also always choose avoidance if they don't want interaction with someone - ESTP or otherwise. There are some types that I think direct communication can result in fiasco, although I know generally counselors tell everyone to talk things out. People who are highly complex with language who can twist reality, or lie a lot can be a problem communicating with directly and also people in power over you who are hyper-sensitive to criticism (like employers) can have bad repercussion when speaking too directly.

I was reading in this thread references to manipulation. I have an idea that manipulation or perhaps providing a more neutral term, is an additional personality parameter that can apply to any personality. There is a way each type can be the most or least manipulative. I can see some ESTPs being so direct and concrete that they would be the last one to manipulate, but there is also the conman stereotype. I'm not sure what that dichotomy would be called but it has to do with solving problems in circumventing sorts or ways as opposed to direct approaches.

I used to have a brother in law who was a strongly ESTP person. He did enjoy talking about scams and seeing through cons. He also took very direct approaches to solving problems like when he saw two kids bullying a special needs, developmentally delayed kid, he walked over and slammed their heads together and walked away, never saying a word. That was a very ESTP moment.

he sounds like me in my early twenties

rav3n

I quite like healthy ESTPs since they can be a lot of fun, willing to take what they dish out and not getting upset about it. The unhealthy ones are avoided at all cost.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't get it. When and where did I ever mention something about eating people? :shock:

You didn’t. That INFPs are cannibals is a running joke between The Cat and Luminous. I’m not entirely sure of the origin though. :shrug: