Senior Member Just another ISTJ's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Of course you could always ask them straight up, and you may or may not get the truth in response.
    That would be the point where I throw my hands up in frustration and walk away.

With that in mind, I've decided to take a "ball is in their court" direction with this one particular ISFP and go on with my life. It's been a while since I've felt this good!

Dali

I have a feeling I've mentioned this before on the site but... I forget.

Anyway, sometimes, my mind processes words faster than I can get them out coherently and I then switch the syntax of the words and get them out in the wrong order. i.e. I tend to babble every now and then. Admittedly, much less than when I was younger but it's still not a pretty sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover) View Post
    I have a feeling I've mentioned this before on the site but... I forget.

Anyway, sometimes, my mind processes words faster than I can get them out coherently and I then switch the syntax of the words and get them out in the wrong order. i.e. I tend to babble every now and then. Admittedly, much less than when I was younger but it's still not a pretty sight.
    YES! Sometimes I am articulate, but other times I feel like if I could write it down it would be so much easier. "Can't--talk--good--" hehe!

Sometimes it takes ISFPs so much mental energy to talk they just cannot do it (the phone call or whatever). It's not personal.

I had a boyfriend who would just run off at the mouth how upset he was and then say, "So! What do you have to say about all that? What do you think? How does that make you feel?!" And there was just... NOTHING. I was frozen. I needed time. I didn't know what to say. He (ENFJ) hated that.

MBTI
    STP

YES! Sometimes I am articulate, but other times I feel like if I could write it down it would be so much easier. "Can't--talk--good--" hehe!

Sometimes it takes ISFPs so much mental energy to talk they just cannot do it (the phone call or whatever). It's not personal.

I had a boyfriend who would just run off at the mouth how upset he was and then say, "So! What do you have to say about all that? What do you think? How does that make you feel?!" And there was just... NOTHING. I was frozen. I needed time. I didn't know what to say. He (ENFJ) hated that.
    I am the same way. You get overloaded with all this stuff and then get put on the spot.

Dali

Oh man, the worst is when you start off telling a funny/interesting story and then babble or peter off in the middle. I come off feeling rather retarded (easy there, PC police).

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan
    Because communication is about sending and receiving a message. That's failing the receiving part.
    You're right. Need to work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover)
    Oh man, the worst is when you start off telling a funny/interesting story and then babble or peter off in the middle.
    I hate this. This usually happens because I realize about halfway into the story that the relevance of said story to the conversation is actually incredibly tenuous at best. Or possibly even obtuse.

MBTI
    ????

I have trouble taking phone calls not so much that I'm a bad communicator as it is that I find it a *pure struggle* to try to talk on the phone. I find it laborious to take the initiative to pick up the phone and say, "Hello?" I just don't like it---it's hard work. It's not necessarily that I don't care or am uninterested...it takes what seems to be a ridiculous amount of effort just to talk on the phone. In person I'm just fine though.

I am not very blunt when communicating...my criticisms are very subtle. I'm usually careful about what to say and how to say it before I say it, because it could come off as disrespectful. I tend to keep my harshest judgments to myself.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Because communication is about sending and receiving a message. That's failing the receiving part.
    Well for understanding written words, I'm pretty good. If it's any objective measure (maybe) I got a 710 on the reading comprehension section of the SAT. Forums sort of confuse me though, I'm really bad at picking up on sarcasm. Literature (written by pros) is easy to figure out though. The trick is to think of it like this: the page you are looking at used to be blank space. Someone put words there. They put those words there for a reason. Figure out the reason. Make it a puzzle and it's easy to understand.

That trick can be applied to most speech too.

Face to face, I generally don't say much. I took a speech class in college and people always commented that I had really clear facial expressions and hand movements, so I'll take that as a good thing. My actual speeches really sucked though. No preparation.

Awso, whens I gets arund perrty gurls i strat giiten awl awkwerd and I'm like uh ah er huh? Then I .

No but seriously I use a lot of filler words in my everyday speech.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I don't know about ISXP's but I certainly have ran across poor communicators, as a matter of fact I just ran into one today...
    i know a ISFP. I have to strangle him to make him talk. arghhhhh
    he starts telling you about something. about 5 words later he just stops. then i have to fill in the blanks.

a few years back he told me that he saw this girl at a lecture. well that's it. i had to finish the rest

He - (Enthusiastically) i saw a girl
    I - yeah is she cute?
    He - yes, but.........
    I - but what?
    He- she is, you know, she is............... she went
    I - (PISSED OFF) she WHAT???????
    He -i was.... when she got.....
    I -(EXTREMELY ANNOYED) you were what????? about to squeeze her butt???
    He - Noooooooooooooooooooooo. i went..... then .... the lecturer
    I -ohhhh you went to talk to her?
    He -YESSSSS!!!
    I - but then the lecturer came???
    He -yes, yes, yes
    I - so you couldn't talk to her?
    He -yes.. and she was wearing green and you know, you know.... and ... you
    I - (completely lost and infuriated) what the???
    He - stares at me and smiles
    I -ohhh you were gonna comment about what she was wearing because it was beautiful?.
    but when you were going to say hi, the lecturer came so you went and sat?
    after the lecture she quickly left, so you couldn't talk to her?

He - happily nods as if he nailed the girl.

3 years later he still hasn't spoken to her.

i never get annoyed. but pray i do when i talk to a ISFP. or atleast the guy i know.

Ps: we have been friends for about 5 years.

so yes. the answer to your question is yes.
    Last edited by Riva; 02-24-2009 at 01:14 PM.

MBTI
    ISTP

I understand your boyfriend thing. Not because I have a boyfriend, because that would make me gay, but instead because I had a good friend who would always want to know my inner feelings and all that nonsense. She literally couldn't comprehend why I didn't think about my inner feelings, and told me so quite forcefully. I guess she was trying to force me into it? She just didn't understand that I don't even think about it.
    "Raisin Bran Crunch? More like Amazin' Bran Crunch!"