MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Me too. I just took mine out.

I was thinking about this the other day, and you know what these sites can be like? A little like a role playing game. When you choose a type, you choose a character. Then there is a set of expectations you are supposed to live up to. You have an assigned set of strengths and weaknesses. When you start to go outside of character, people get uncomfortable. If you change your character/type it almost feels to some like you are breaking the rules. For some it is as elaborate a game as chess. Each chess piece/type is allowed certain moves in a debate. If an NF is more logical than an NT, they have broken the rules. If a T gets emotional it is because they have underdeveloped Fe. If an F gets emotional, it is because they are a subjective thinker. It is all really quite fascinating. Any given post is a bit like a lump of clay that can be molded in a variety of ways based on type assumptions.
    lol, yeah it sure seems that way a lot of the time. That's why I left mbti sites (after NCentral shut down) and never looked back, for a while... got sick of the pedantic preconceived notions everyone had.

But still, even so, the idea of thinking up behaviors and thought processes, and then attempting to associate them with type... is sort've important when learning about MBTI, because it's required to help one discover how to relate typology with their experiences in real life. It can just get out of hand, especially when people forget to take a pinch of salt with all of it.

So while pigeonholing types and temperaments is bad, exploring unique characteristics of each function, and a particular type's affinity to them, is a good thing, so long as you remember everyone is capable of it. It's just a fine line we have to learn to watch.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post

See I can be proactive too!
    And you follow your own advice well

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    How is it not the same as the difference between T and F? Thinkers seem to feel that they have intellectual superiority and Feelers think that they have human development superiority. There is no difference of course and also there are more of these types than N types. Therefore their feelings of superiority would have a greater impact through numbers than N types which make up a smaller part of the population.
    There is an important difference: T and F has no bearing on interest in delving into MBTI, but S and N does. Thus, while the unhinged T and F discourses balance each other out, the bias against S goes more or less unchecked. To the extent that we want more Sensors here (and it is MBTIc, after all, not Nc), we Ns should therefore work especially hard on being objective on this dimension.

How about we come up with a snappy truism to throw at each other as a reality check whenever we lose our perspective? I'm thinking we need something along the lines of Please Don't Feed the Troll (i.e. something one can post in five seconds whenever moved to groan), but applying to S-bashing/N-glorifying. Individuals with excellent use of Ne, this would be your cue.

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    There is an important difference: T and F has no bearing on interest in delving into MBTI, but S and N does. Thus, while the unhinged T and F discourses balance each other out, the bias against S goes more or less unchecked. To the extent that we want more Sensors here (and it is MBTIc, after all, not Nc), we Ns should therefore work especially hard on being objective on this dimension.

How about we come up with a snappy truism to throw at each other as a reality check whenever we lose our perspective? I'm thinking we need something along the lines of Please Don't Feed the Troll (i.e. something one can post in five seconds whenever moved to groan), but applying to S-bashing/N-glorifying. Individuals with excellent use of Ne, this would be your cue.
    I think it's important to let things flow because that's how you see what cognitive processes are strong and weak in each personality type participating on this forum. If you squash this you won't get people posting true to their personality. Your thoughts?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zhash View Post
    I think it's important to let things flow because that's how you see what cognitive processes are strong and weak in each personality type participating on this forum. If you squash this you won't get people posting true to their personality. Your thoughts?
    I'm not sure I understand you correctly. What does S-bashing/N-glorifying have to do with any of the types posting true to their personality? In other words, exactly what is compromised by promoting greater objectivity regarding the S/N dimension?

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. What does S-bashing/N-glorifying have to do with any of the types posting true to their personality? In other words, exactly what is compromised by promoting greater objectivity regarding the S/N dimension?
    I really don't think there's too much bashing going on. Making reference to examples of the S/N differences is important. Many people aren't even aware of the differences in a concrete way. If you point them out, it's easier to understand what those differences are all about. The key is to not take things personally. I think if you make it too objective, it will be difficult to see what's obvious. Many people are not that introspective.

I've had people point out that I'm weak in the area of Fe. They are correct and I value that information as it helps me to tune in to developing my Fe. It also provides me with important information for my personal growth.

MBTI
    INTJ

I really don't think there's too much bashing going on.
    This is where we disagree. I'll provide my own take to complement proteanmix and FineLine's after you provide a decent rationale for not replying to post #161 in this thread, deal?

This is where we disagree. I'll provide my own take to complement proteanmix and FineLine's after you provide a decent rationale for not replying to post #161 in this thread, deal?
    Grow up.

MBTI
    INTJ

Grow up.
    I am growing up. That's why I currently can't cut other INTJs who haven't any slack.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

Grow up.
    I do think that that post should have been replied to with a decent explanation.