Thread: ISFP Advice

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Default ISFP Advice

ISFPs, those of you that have lived awhile, what advice would you give to us younger ISFPs?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You should to travel to Texas and go out with me.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Be aware that you have something valuable to offer.
    Figure out where your passions lie.
    Some kind of skill. A way in which to express yourself.
    Master the way you have chosen and then express yourself fully.

That and save 10% of your income.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    ....That and save 10% of your income.
    Oh, God yes....if nothing else, please do this.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    ISFPs, those of you that have lived awhile, what advice would you give to us younger ISFPs?

Does being 37 qualify as old enough? I'm still figuring out what's real and what's not, but some things I've learned over the past five years are:

1. Just because I feel something to be true doesn't necessarily mean it's true all of the time, for all people. My feelings right here and now are not always the best indicator of what's fact and what's not. Often what I know to be true in my mind doesn't match what I feel might be true. Very few circumstances merit the words "always" or "never".
    2. Beating myself up for my failures never helps me get beyond them. Sometimes it's fine to just exist. I don't need to actually produce lots of "wow" experiences for others in order to have a positive impact. I've been told by people whom I believe are being sincere and honest that my just being who I am has had a positive impact on them, and I need to work on accepting that this is true rather than doubting it. Racking up all sorts of tangible achievements isn't the same thing as having a positive impact on others. Someday I hope to fully believe that with my heart, not just with my mind.
    3. Just because someone says an opinion or an idea is true (or "fact") doesn't mean it actually is. Many times, people's statements of fact simply reflect what they want to believe is true.
    4. It's worthwhile to pick my battles, and not allow myself to feel I need to fight everybody who says something that offends my sense of what's right and wrong. I sometimes manage to get my point across, but the next moment, someone could come along and undo (or simply choose not to value) everything I've tried to accomplish. Sometimes I just need to be my myself to determine whether this is a battle that needs to be fought or not.
    5. It's worthwhile to take some time to envision what I ultimately want to achieve before I plunge ahead with a project. Having a vision in mind keeps me focused on results rather than getting sidetracked. ANd self-discipline is something that doesn't come naturally to a lot of people, including me, but is worth cultivating even if I never really feel I measure up to what I think I could be.

These are a few off the top of my head... I'm sure I'll think of more during the day.

Sarah
    ISFP

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    That and save 10% of your income.
    But... I'd prefer to go backpacking for 5 months now and not when I'm 60.

p.s. Thanks for sharing, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover) View Post
    But... I'd prefer to go backpacking for 5 months now and not when I'm 60.

p.s. Thanks for sharing, guys.
    Yeah I went hitchhiking around for years when I was in my early 20's. It's good to travel before you have kids.

Save when you have money coming in. Keep hold of the base money. Don't use it all. At least that's what I never did.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

What about career wise? Are you guys career minded people or is it something you struggle with like me? When I am interviewed for jobs I know they want me to be this super ambitious career driven person but I'm just not. All I really want is financial security for myself and to start a family, along with a bit of flexibility. Almost all of my ambitions lie outside of work. I feel I have made a lot of poor decisions in the past when it comes to career/work.

MBTI
    ISTx

^My brother had no interest in work or pursuing education for getting into a career. He likes knowledge and wisdom but is very focused and driven towards things that are of no relation to material stability.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    ^My brother had no interest in work or pursuing education for getting into a career. He likes knowledge and wisdom but is very focused and driven towards things that are of no relation to material stability.

Yep, sounds exactly like me! Or at least, I was that way until I finished college and wondered "now what"? All of a sudden it hit me that nobody was going to take care of me and I had to get a job that gave me enough to live on. I had majored in fine art in college, which isn't exactly the most practical thing, but at the time, all I cared about was drawing and printmaking. So I bit the bullet enrolled in grad school to get a degree in library science, so I could have a day job that brought me an actual salary.

I still do my art (I just don't make a living off of it), and I've found ways to love my job as a children's librarian. So it's good. I have no doubt your brother will eventually find a practical job that he can find ways of making fun, and he can always keep learning whatever he feels like in his free time.

Sarah
    ISFP