• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJ Profile- By BlackCat

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This profile is open for discussion and open for being dissected for error. Enjoy. :)

=========================================

SPECIAL THANKS TO d@v3, Eagle, and all of the ISTJs in vent that helped contribute mentally to me!

ISTJ- The Knight

paladin.jpg

Meet the ISTJ- ISTJs are the ultimate loyalists. An ISTJ's life is typically centered around their loyalties, whether this be to people, things in their lives, etc. These loyalties come from what they think to be right and how they think things should be. These loyalties are based on how they have seen things, if they see something as good then they will want to keep it that way. This sort of gives them an inner radar that lets them know when something isn't going right, this will allow them to keep things up to par in their lives and will urge them to achieve perfection. This doesn't necessarily mean that they refuse to change in life, if something is seen as inefficient for them anymore then they will change. But up until then they will try to keep things the way they need to be (according to their judgment). When I say this I mean that every little detail is noted, everything is worked on to be kept up to pat. ISTJs are also very concrete people, they don't give theory much merit unless it has a practical use. They like to live in the physical world, and not with their head in the clouds.

ISTJs are also very organized people. In life they will try to be as organized as possible (maybe even a minor case of OCD!) for efficiency. This organization isn't limited to physical things either. ISTJs generally have an excellent memory of things (especially those that are important to them). When making conversation with one they may say the most random details about something (especially if it's a memory that is significant to them).

ISTJs are most comfortable when they have things under control. This can mean inward control or outward control. When something isn't under their control in life they will try to get this back. They are constantly adjusting things to keep them suitable in life, which ultimately also leads to things being under control. They love stability. It's because of this fact that before making any decision they will try to learn all that they possibly can before making it, no hole will be left uncovered in their mind. It's because of this that they are often perceived as overly cautious by other people.

Function order- Si Te Fi Ne

Dominant- Introverted Sensing, Si- Introverted Sensing (Si) is the ISTJ's dominant function. Si is about remembering details and remembering how things were. The dominant function is unconscious, in the ISTJ's mind they will constantly be reminded of how something was, and they will constantly be observing and taking in the details about something. So what does this make an ISTJ, with this as their dominant process? This trait (Si) is what makes them famous for being super loyal, remembering, and trustworthy of duties. If a promise is made it isn't broken (unless they have a GOOD reason to break it). With these details kept in mind they form values of sorts, these values are based around the way things have always been for them. These values change when something is inefficient to them to carry on (as said above). These values aren't so much emotional attachments as they are "norms" in their minds. These norms are always being broken in the outward world, and if they took it too seriously when they saw it happen then they would not be very happy people. With this in mind they are great at finding error in things.

Auxiliary- Extroverted Thinking, Te- Where Si finds error or takes notice in things, Te makes action. Extroverted thinking in it's basic form is used to apply logic to things, and to be efficient. Te also checks for the logical consequences of things in life. What does this mean when paired with Si? This means that all of the details about something will be applied to a logical choice, which is basically the basis to most ISTJ decision making. With Si's nack for details, efficiency in ISTJs is a given paired with Te. (This section may or may not need improvement, please give feedback on it)

Tertiary- Introverted Feeling, Fi- To an ISTJ, feelings and emotions are a very private thing. Talking about personal things and personal emotions may be awkward for them, so this subject is usually avoided for them. Fi will generally attach value to things in an ISTJ's life, give them a sense of what someone's true intentions may be (based on what they know), and will cause them to have emotional attachments to things. Some things to an ISTJ may not "feel right" to them, and this I think is the FiNe tertiary/inferior combo. These feelings may lead to an idea of why they are feeling that way, then leading to them wanting to see if their feeling is correct.

Inferior- Extroverted Intuition, Ne- Ne may manifest itself in many strange ways in the ISTJ. (The following is PURELY from observation) Ne may perhaps give them a strange gut feeling, a realization of things that may come with no real concrete base to this thought. It's relative to the person as to whether they follow through with this idea or just dismiss it. Ne also may make ISTJs paranoid, since with immature Ne they may have a flawed view of the future. Random bursts of Ne may be dismissed due to irrationality. However along with that, Ne is an idea based function. Just because it's inferior doesn't mean that they are closed minded or anything like that. Changing things doesn't become as much of a priority as preserving from the inferior slot.

People with inferior functions can still use them. ISTJs can get a good sense of how something is "just because" using Ne, or get a good general picture of how someone or something is. This may take a form of a "gut feeling," where something might not feel right or something might feel a certain way with no or little concrete basis. Chances are when they get one of these ideas they will be curious to get the concrete part of the idea to confirm the things they intuit.

Relationships- ISTJs love to feel useful, this especially shows itself in the relationship side of things. They will often try to make their partner feel good in a romantic relationship. The loyalty of an ISTJ really shines in the romantic department. Actions speak louder than words for an ISTJ in a relationship of any kind, an act of kindness will go a very long way. ISTJs are super loyal, very trustworthy, and are very good listeners due to their attention to detail. As stated above their feelings are a very private thing, most of the time these are only expressed to those closest to them and their spouse.

-OVERALL-

- Loyalty
- Reliability
- Sense of Integrity & Honor
- Duty first, then pleasure
- Like facts
- Tend to collect large stores of reference material
- Objective
- Logical
- Timely
- Quiet
- Serious
- Responsible
- Sensible
- Patient
- Steadfast
- Memory for details.

Good points (coming from the ISTJs themselves!)-

-Always aware of their surroundings
-Never forget
-Respectful
-Responsible/ Competent
-Loyal
-Trustworthy
-Dutiful
-Protective
-Organized (Minor OCD)
-Selfless
-Courteous
-Always on time
-Good money management

Bad points (also from ISTJs themselves)-
-Can be controlling
-Can be blunt at times
-Tendency to see things “black & white”
-Can be anxious at times, although rare
-Can come off as negative or pessimistic
-Tendency to jump to conclusions too quickly
-Can come off as uncaring (although in most cases they actually do care)

Last edited:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Looks sweeeeet Cat! You kept all my key points! :cheers:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Added a line to the Ne section, to make it sound less sucky.

EDIT: Just so you know I am aware that I left stuff out. Your input is appreciated.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Much more enlightening about my ISTJ friend than any of the other profiles I've come across for that type.

Samwise Gamgee is blatantly an ISTJ.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
conversation with blackcat regarding the description:

raz: poke

BlackCat: sup?

raz: oh
raz: I was reading your Ne description
raz: and like I was saying
raz: Ne and Fi are more of used to serve Te
raz: Te's systems gain priority over any random ideas that Ne brings or the feelings that Fi invokes

BlackCat: mmm

raz: but Ne is infinitely useful as an information gathering tool
raz: at times when you need to know what to do, Te can't do it
raz: so you fall back on Ne

BlackCat: post that in the thread so i won't forget. :p

raz: I don't know if other ISTJ's see it the same way

BlackCat: well just say that that's what you do

raz: it's just like, right now, with me learning daily maintenance stuff that I have to keep up with, Te can organize it just fine, but coming up with new ideas to make sure I have variety requires invoking Ne

BlackCat: mhmm
BlackCat: as i said, just because it's inferior doesn't mean it sucks

raz: yeah
raz: but it goes through the filters of the functions above it
raz: in the end, Si reigns supreme

BlackCat: mhmm :p

raz: like, with Si
raz: I can be extremely loyal, to the point that no one else can compete with me for loyalty to something
raz: but that extreme loyalty is just so personal
raz: it requires trust
raz: and it's hard to find that trust in something lately for me ><

BlackCat: mmm
BlackCat: feels empty?

raz: I just need reassurance that it's worth it
raz: that there isn't something better or I'm wasting my time doing something that'll accomplish very little or nothing

BlackCat: i won't remember all of this :\

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Much more enlightening about my ISTJ friend than any of the other profiles I've come across for that type.

Samwise Gamgee is blatantly an ISTJ.

Hmm, or an ISFJ.

Yes, and I really love him, both books and movies! I like Strider and Legolas also, but Samwise is the most approachable and nice seeming of them. :wubbie: He's just adorable.

There, a rare example of an ISTJ gushing. :blush:

Anyway, so far the profile looks great! Not sure what I would add, really... I like the graphic, as one of my names translates to "female warrior." Interesting. Oh, I know!

With Si's nack for details, efficiency in ISTJs is a given paired with Te.

My Si wants to let you know that it is spelled knack. :devil: Sorry, couldn't help it!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, and I really love him, both books and movies! I like Strider and Legolas also, but Samwise is the most approachable and nMy Si wants to let you know that it is spelled knack. :devil: Sorry, couldn't help it!

:rofl1: :heart:

Part of the reason why I made this is that I love you guys. :D

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Awww, he loves us. Did you all here?

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Very well done list and descriptions. Personally, I seek control inwardly - of myself as opposed to situations or people. Other than that, I'd probably fit right in with most of what is described - probably to the extreme.

batumi

MBTI Type
infj
They are excellent listeners, wonderful partners, and quite romantic. I married an ISTJ a few weeks ago and hope to post a pic on my site here this week.
I am happier than I could ever imagine being. I highly recommend this type to all women seeking a solid, trustworthy, reliable, honest husband who is also romantic and generous.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very well done list and descriptions. Personally, I seek control inwardly - of myself as opposed to situations or people. Other than that, I'd probably fit right in with most of what is described - probably to the extreme.

When I said "control" I meant both inward and outward, that being relative to the person to relate to. I added in a sentence for clarity.

Everyone's input is appreciated. :yes:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am happier than I could ever imagine being. I highly recommend this type to all women seeking a solid, trustworthy, reliable, honest husband who is also romantic and generous.

This would describe my grandfather. He had a very romantic and expressive side to him.

Blackcat, some thoughts on the weaker functions in an ISTJ. They are my best guesses, but someone call me out if I'm way off base.

ISTJs that embrace their Fi side can be very romantic, offering grand gestures of poetry and other Fi fueled artistic expression of their caring. They can be incredibly tender underneath the rock hard shell. Fi can also cause them to have 'weak spots', where an otherwise rational being can become irrational. These weak spots are generally very narrow and focused, though. For example, they can make unwise financial decisions in an attempt to make their partner happy... however, they won't usually let it go so far as to financially ruin them.

ISTJs can be great at determining someone's character. Si/Te causes some people to not 'fit' quite right. An ISTJ with developed Fi/Ne can take that a step further and be extremely good at figuring out the basic quality of someone's character and motivations. It's not a deep understanding like in the INFP, but it's a big picture understanding that rarely leads them astray.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
really well done, nice job.
t7xhappy.gif

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reading this reminded me how much I love ISTJs. :wubbie:

Very good job. :happy0065:

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
Anyway, so far the profile looks great! Not sure what I would add, really... I like the graphic, as one of my names translates to "female warrior." Interesting. Oh, I know!

My Si wants to let you know that it is spelled knack. :devil: Sorry, couldn't help it!

:laugh: Lol, it is an ISTJ thing then. I spotted that too but reigned myself in.

Also, I agree that the knight graphic is cool. There was a bit of discussion that it might not be suitable for female ISTJs, but I'm honoured by it! For some reason it made me think of Queen Elizabeth I of England - I always thought she was amazing even before I realised we shared a personality type :alttongue: - as she said, "I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and a king of England too."

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
This would describe my grandfather. He had a very romantic and expressive side to him.

Blackcat, some thoughts on the weaker functions in an ISTJ. They are my best guesses, but someone call me out if I'm way off base.

ISTJs that embrace their Fi side can be very romantic, offering grand gestures of poetry and other Fi fueled artistic expression of their caring. They can be incredibly tender underneath the rock hard shell. Fi can also cause them to have 'weak spots', where an otherwise rational being can become irrational. These weak spots are generally very narrow and focused, though. For example, they can make unwise financial decisions in an attempt to make their partner happy... however, they won't usually let it go so far as to financially ruin them.

ISTJs can be great at determining someone's character. Si/Te causes some people to not 'fit' quite right. An ISTJ with developed Fi/Ne can take that a step further and be extremely good at figuring out the basic quality of someone's character and motivations. It's not a deep understanding like in the INFP, but it's a big picture understanding that rarely leads them astray.

I'd say they're accurate observations.

batumi

MBTI Type
infj

I would say you are exactly correct. And thanks for your post and sharing about your grandfather.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Motion seconded. Though, the INFP might get an instinctual understanding that is deep I many times can understand people and get a read off of their most basic reasons for doing things. Their overall character might be just a stencil though. But, how deeper can you get than knocking everything back to the basics? I guess it depends on the person. I do think we do get decent reads on people's character. I have yet to be wrong, and the more I think about it the more I trust my gut feelings. I don't typically, if ever, second guess my gut reads on people. I've been right, from what I can see, every time so far.