• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs are they all in the can for Mc Cain?

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
Are most ISTJ's Republican?
My BF is pro guns and pro white male. lol.
Anyway, I am voting for Obama and i get really pissed that he can't admit that the Republican party is not what it used to be.I tried to explain to him what a neocon is... He said he would vote for Bush again if he was up for election. WHAT? This makes me question his judgment and wonder if he has a death wish or is racist or something.

I am more independent minded, and not easily scared. When he argues he uses examples to try and scare me, like terrorists will kill you, the whole world is coming to an end, and he sounds like a whiny B**ch.

I think he thinks democrats are pussy's, and we need to be tough,,,bla bla bla.
On the other hand he is so full of contradictions its unbelievable.

This election is making me hate him! I don't mind him being republican, its his NARROW MINDEDNESS that Kills me ,and his stereotyping, irrational fears about things going horribly wrong...

Anyone have an opinion on this?

I hate the way he generalizes.
I wish he would change but I know its better to except him as is? I just don't know if I can...I hate ignorance. I am starting to have contempt for him.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How important is this to you?

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
How important is this to you?

Its pretty important... I am passionate about this historical election. I want to improve our standing in the world.

I feel like I want to agree with someone I love on important issues. We don't agree on Religion or Politics,and it kind of sucks. Ya know the feeling?

It's like I used to think he was smart and logical, but some of his views are downright base. Good/Evil, Right/Wrong, Weak/Strong, Win/Lose.
Hello... its not all balck and white!

Also, my cat looks identical to your avatar picture! whoa.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is a funny thread. I like how it stacks up with recent SJ forum threads:

(Feelings)
(Feelings)
(Feelings)
(Politics)
(Feelings)

Though there's probably a lot that can be said on this topic.

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
I think that any political agenda that is too extreme, right or left, is not good.
I think that there should be a govern near the center approach.
So I think the fear stems from our country being led by someone who is too Left or too Right.

I am more left of center, and I have heard that our country is right of center.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTJ's are they all in the can for Mc Cain? Are most ISTJ's Republican?

... I hate the way he generalizes.

:rofl1:

Stop it, I'm choking to death on irony!

... He said he would vote for Bush again if he was up for election. WHAT? This makes me question his judgment and wonder if he has a death wish or is racist or something.

Get used to it.

Think "risk management."

It's better to dance with the devil you know than take a chance on the one you've just met.

I am more independent minded, and not easily scared. When he argues he uses examples to try and scare me, like terrorists will kill you, the whole world is coming to an end, and he sounds like a whiny B**ch.

Well, that approach is rather fearmongering.
But it's effective for many.
Obviously it means a lot to him.

I think he thinks democrats are pussy's, and we need to be tough,,,bla bla bla. On the other hand he is so full of contradictions its unbelievable.

Again, get used to it.

The biggest thing I have seen over the years is that many people are great at taking one or two points that matter to them personally and otherwise not worrying about whether someone's speeches and comments create a large consistent pattern. People really DO pick their ideologies that way and vote for candidates that way. I was stunned the first time I realized people didn't think through things and look for patterns like I did, they sometimes even use "backwards logic" to justify the candidate they already wanted to vote for.

This election is making me hate him! I don't mind him being republican, its his NARROW MINDEDNESS that Kills me ,and his stereotyping, irrational fears about things going horribly wrong... Anyone have an opinion on this?

I've generally heard a lot of that mentality among ISTJ guys I have known, yes. They like to preserve status quo, because the tried and true is always better than the unknown risk.

Protect the beachhead.
Dig in and hold firm.
Forget advancing the troops and taking risks.
It's just the way the type thinks.

I wish he would change but I know its better to except him as is? I just don't know if I can...I hate ignorance. I am starting to have contempt for him.

He's your boyfriend.
If you want the relationship to work, you'd better start accepting him like he is.
If you decide he isn't going to change and it's not what you want, then you need to make some hard choices.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Jennifer said:
The biggest thing I have seen over the years is that many people are great at taking one or two points that matter to them personally and otherwise not worrying about whether someone's speeches and comments create a large consistent pattern.
Yeah, over the course of the election I've noticed that nearly all politics seem to work that way. The lack of logic is annoying to me, too. But who knows? Maybe I could be accused of the same...

Hermetic, changing his mind would probably take a pretty long time. I'm sure he's not trying to offend you or anything. He will be more open to discussion of politics if you take it calmly and rationally, I would guess.

Last edited:

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
My mother is an ISTJ and she can't stand Bush or Mc Cain or Palin.
She is also remarried to an ENFP male. My mom ironically is more of a feminist. She tends to blame a lot of things on men, and aggression, testosterone. (im not saying I agree, but that is just her)

Funny how she is militant but opposite because she is a woman.
My BF has some sexist views about women too.

I just wonder seriously if any ISTJ males don't consider themselves republican. You would think that they would be more libertarian.

I have noticed that a lot of ENFP's ironically are pretty conservative, at least the one's that Ive argued with online.

Anyone want to tell me otherwise, please do...

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
The whole idea behind MBTI, is a big generalization I guess as well. But its fun.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It depends on upbringing.

Again, note the gist of what I said: "Maintain stability. Don't take risks."

ISxJ will tend to cling to what was already established. (That's a generalization but if we're going to discuss type influences on political leanings, then that's what we're discussing.)

If ISxJ grew up with more "liberal" thought processes, then that's what they'll go with.

The last ISTJ guy I met, I didn't at first recognize as ISTJ because he seemed more liberal until I got to know him better. But he had been in the military, lived overseas, traveled a lot, had basically been exposed to different ways of life, and it softened him up.

Still, when I went past the initial conversations, I realized almost immediately that he was still a "create a safe place, then stay in it" sort of guy.

Big indicator of ISTJ: Avoids change like the plague.
They're great at making things conform to spec.

I just wonder seriously if any ISTJ males don't consider themselves republican. You would think that they would be more libertarian.

Almost all the ones I know are Republican... and sort of stubbornly so.
(They tend to have paranoid or irrational arguments against those with other viewpoints.)
But note, they grew up and live in a Republican area (!).
Hence, they're just reflecting the status quo.

So... hard to tell.

I have noticed that a lot of ENFP's ironically are pretty conservative, at least the one's that Ive argued with online.

I wouldn't know.

Although with ENFP, the Fi is strong. Again, values learned in childhood will tend to persist, despite the N.

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
Yeah, over the course of the election I've noticed that nearly all politics seem to work that way. The lack of logic is annoying to me, too. But who knows? Maybe I could be accused of the same...

Hermetic, changing his mind would probably take a pretty long time. I'm sure he's not trying to offend you or anything. He will be more open to discussion of politics if you take it calmly and rationally, I would guess.

Ya he is not going to change. I can be rational, but sometimes I get passionate about things when I feel like my views are being attacked. I get attached to my beliefs.

I was watching Larry King the other day and Maria Shriver was on, she said that her and Arnold argue about politics. She said that they try to do it in a respectful way around the kids. (ya right)

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
ya it's funny he is voting Republican because my BF doesn't even really like Mc Cain, and he thinks Palin is really green.

He said that Mc Cain is too liberal for him, and he doesn't like his ties with Liberman.
He thinks that we shouldn't have gone into Iraq the way we did for so long, that we should have been more precise in our "bombings" yet he argues that it will be good because we took out Sadam, and some good democracy might have come out of it. Nice rationalization.

I say Id rather have keep my freedoms and risk getting hit than have (the patriot act) (preemptive war) than living in fear of being attacked.
It's impractical to think that we can police the world. It really bothers me how our government intervening in other countries that have little to do with 911.

Also if one is for the second amendment, the right to bear arms, then why do some of those same people get all hacked off, at the idea of Iran having weapons...? Why should we tell other country's what they can and can't have?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Its pretty important... I am passionate about this historical election. I want to improve our standing in the world.

I feel like I want to agree with someone I love on important issues. We don't agree on Religion or Politics,and it kind of sucks. Ya know the feeling?

It's like I used to think he was smart and logical, but some of his views are downright base. Good/Evil, Right/Wrong, Weak/Strong, Win/Lose.
Hello... its not all balck and white!

Is it all important enough to lose someone over?

Also, my cat looks identical to your avatar picture! whoa.

He's some strange mixed breed, kinda like me.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
This is a funny thread. I like how it stacks up with recent SJ forum threads:

(Feelings)
(Feelings)
(Feelings)
(Politics)
(Feelings)

Though there's probably a lot that can be said on this topic.

Yes, Cimarron, that's very odd, we start many threads about feelings, though we suck at it. What does this mean?

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The political leanings of SJs usually either inhere or match surroundings. To that end, they may reflect regional preferences or media sentiments.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
He said he would vote for Bush again if he was up for election. WHAT? This makes me question his judgment and wonder if he has a death wish or is racist or something.

Whaaaa? Why would wanting to vote for Bush again make you think he is a racist? :huh:

ISTJ's are they all in the can for Mc Cain?

Looks like you just answered your own question.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, Cimarron, that's very odd, we start many threads about feelings, though we suck at it. What does this mean?

But most threads in this section were not started by SJ's. If only SJ's were allowed to start threads in this section there would probably only be 3 threads. lol

(that was a joke...sorta)