User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm ISTJ, but i'll vote for obama if i have a chance...

Quote Originally Posted by hermeticdancer View Post
    ...it will be good because we took out Sadam...
    It's Saddam..

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ubijalar View Post
    Right, which goes with what many people have pointed out: that for ISTJs (and any SJs), your political/cultural climate has a strong effect on your personal political ideas. Put negatively, you could say that we are more likely to conform to our own society's main values and ideas.

For example, I wouldn't be surprised (but don't know from experience) if a lot of ISTJs in mainly-liberal California cities and Northeast U.S. cities hold liberal views.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 10-25-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: example
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It depends on upbringing.

ISxJ will tend to cling to what was already established. (That's a generalization but if we're going to discuss type influences on political leanings, then that's what we're discussing.)

If ISxJ grew up with more "liberal" thought processes, then that's what they'll go with.
    Agreed.

If only blue/liberal were mainstream...then we would have so many SJs on our side, because they conform like sheep.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    ISTJ

I grew up in a pretty moderate (blue leaning) state, Minnesota. My parents made a point to never talk politics in front of me. I think my dad leans Republican, but I can't be sure...My point being, I don't think my environment predisposed me very strongly to make me lean either way. I ended up pretty staunchly Libertarian. I'm skeptical about all government, and I especially hate social conservatism. Srsly, just let the gays marry.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Cool. It looks like most ISTJs are kind of predisposed to be Fiscally Conservative, careful with our money. That was one of our values before it was ever a Political Stance. In that sense, I guess most ISTJs either tend Republican or Libertarian, or whatever party is perceived to be fiscally conservative.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 10-26-2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: more accurate
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Lee View Post
    I grew up in a pretty moderate (blue leaning) state, Minnesota. My parents made a point to never talk politics in front of me. I think my dad leans Republican, but I can't be sure...My point being, I don't think my environment predisposed me very strongly to make me lean either way.
    Actually that means your environment predisposed you to being socially liberal since 1. Minnesota is socially liberal and 2. your parents obviously didn't encourage anything to the contrary.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Actually that means your environment predisposed you to being socially liberal since 1. Minnesota is socially liberal and 2. your parents obviously didn't encourage anything to the contrary.
    Yes true, but it just seems like the influences weren't as strong as most people would experience. Everybody says "you're just a democrat/republican because your parents are" but I have no idea what my parents are, so I thought I was special for a minute. And I grew up in an urban area so even more unconscious reason for me to be liberal.
    "If I find out who has called me ruthless, I will destroy him."
    ~RFK

MBTI
    eNFp
    Enneagram

Mostly my turning away from the Republican party has to do with their pro-war, pro-military stance. I understand we do need military, and defense, but I am anti-war.

I don't think it's possible to "win the war" when you can't even define what winning means, or keep making up arbitrary definitions along the way, and rationalizations. Even with good justification, war is bad, and should be ended as soon as possible.

I think we should break up with Iraq! And let go of trying to fix everything in the middle east, unless we seriously want to end up destroying ourselves in the process, it's the healthy thing to do.
    Some people still need to let go of the idea of winning a war... ahemm Mc Cain...

From a conservative stand point, you would think ISTJ's would be against war for some obvious reasons that don't include feeling, its pretty expensive and costs a lot, of lives, time, money...

A good wesite is antiwar.com. It's not pro Obama, or Mc Cain.I like to listen to their radio programs.

MBTI
    eNFp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ubijalar View Post

It's Saddam..
    Thanks for the spelling correction.

What do you mean, if you have a chance? Go out and vote!

Vote411.org

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Cool. It looks like most ISTJs are kind of predisposed to be Fiscally Conservative, careful with our money. That was one of our values before it was ever a Political Stance. In that sense, I guess most ISTJs either tend Republican or Libertarian, or whatever party is perceived to be fiscally conservative.
    I'd think most SJs will have a bias towards conservatism (as will all Js, actually). But generally as an ideology, not automatically as a party. That means that even with the bias (which is only a bias), the expression of it can be very different.

What the OP is describing is better measured by 'social dominance' (SDO), least as it relates to Republicans rather than conservatism (at this point, I only consider libertarians to be conservatives, just without the social institution part of it). It sounds like the boyfriend ranks extremely high on that scale.

To generalise though, there is a bias towards conservatism in Js. Some Js will care about being fiscally responsible, and some won't, meaning that the reasons why they tend that way aren't universal. In the present day, republicans tend to be much higher on the SDO and that doesn't directly translate into conservatism.

IOW, the support for Bush probably has nothing to do with being a conservative. It's a different preference that matters!