• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Being given responsibility

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A lot of times, I hear that SJs like being given responsibility (not necessarily authority). I can think of a lot of cases, though, where I did not want it, because I was afraid of letting others down.

So do you like being given responsibility? To know that others are depending on you? When yes, and when no?

This is probably a difficult question to answer, because choices like this seem to happen on the subconscious level (totally making this up, but who's keeping score?).

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Depends. If we feel confident we can handle the responsibility, sure, I even enjoy it but if not, it's just a weight on the shoulders and added stress. I think that speaks for most people though...? Well, I guess there are those that escape responsibility at all costs...

They don't call us the duty fulfillers for nothing, I don't think. It's a big part of how we "grade" ourselves, by taking on responsibilities and hopefully excelling at them.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depends. If we feel confident we can handle the responsibility, sure, I even enjoy it but if not, it's just a weight on the shoulders and added stress. I think that speaks for most people though...? Well, I guess there are those that escape responsibility at all costs...
Yeah, to me it did kind of seem general enough to apply to anybody, which makes me wonder why they think it's worth mentioning in SJs more than others.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Check my edit. There might be more to it but I think it kind of nails it. hah

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good call. :D There may be something to that.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I find this interesting (if I may interject, not being an SJ :unsure:)

I don't tend to assume responsibility voluntarily, being naturally inclined to self-doubt and fear that I'll fail. But if someone gives it to me, I take it as a compliment; a vote of confidence that helps override my own insecurity and do the job full justice to repay them for this much appreciated trust they've placed in me.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I see this pattern in my very ISTJ husband. Any group he belongs to he soon rises to an authoritarian position. He can be very clear about goals and needs. He is also exceedingly clear about his methods being the best possible choice. And he is frequently correct.

Little by little he assumes responsibility for nearly everything, becomes tired, then sometimes resentful that others aren't pulling their weight but he has already usurped their responsibility.

It looks like a trap, this pattern. In getting his needs for order met he also becomes thwarted in contributing to group harmony and cooperation.

bbites

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmm. I don't like being automatically given responsibility. If someone else can't handle it than I'll usually step in and take over but usually for selfish motives; like group work at school, I won't volunteer to be the leader but if the leader isn't "leading" than I'll step in and do whatever needs to be done to save my grade. But in general I get anxious about taking the reigns, so to speak. Too much pressure.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
First off, yes, I think there is a big distinction in wanting to have responsibility and wanting to have authority.

Authority I am not such a fan of...it is the one aspect of teaching that I likely find the hardest to deal with. I don't like making decisions that people will be unhappy with, but I also realize that things need to get done and I can't make everyone happy. I usually end up being too diplomatic and accommodating and people take advantage of that.

As for responsibility, it can go either way. I like it when people come to me and ask me to lead...kind of like what Substitute was saying...because those people have seen some sort of quality in me that they think would be right for the job. Also, that way, if things go badly, I can simply say, "Hey, I gave it a shot, but I didn't ask for this position so you should be unhappy with yourselves for putting me there." (This hasn't really happened though, I'm just speculating).

I'm also ok with taking over when the current leader is incompetent...if I find the other person to be incompetent it means that I know I can do the job better. Plus, I'm probably better with responsibility/authority in this position, because when I'm ticked off, I go into major productivity mode and I don't care what other people think and I tend to lose that whole diplomatic, soft side to myself...I just get stuff done.

Usually though, I never volunteer for responsibility or authority roles unless no one else wants to do it (teaching is different because I'm not leading peers or my elders). I prefer to be assigned something, and I'll get it done.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmm. I don't like being automatically given responsibility. If someone else can't handle it than I'll usually step in and take over but usually for selfish motives; like group work at school, I won't volunteer to be the leader but if the leader isn't "leading" than I'll step in and do whatever needs to be done to save my grade. But in general I get anxious about taking the reigns, so to speak. Too much pressure.

Agreed. I'll rarely volunteer for the leadership position, but as soon as I see things turning sour, I find myself leading; most times unintentionally.

This also applies to conversation concerning decision making, I believe. I remain quiet, observing all the data from the others. Once they come to a conclusion, if I feel there is a better, easier option I interject my solution. Rarely do I speak during these conversations until this point.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. :) I think Recoleta's and Dewey's points resonate the most with me. But I think we are all generally feeling in the same area.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like being needed and valued so I don't mind being given responsibility. I might get bored otherwise.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I avoid being given responsibility. I try to reject as many situations as possible where others "depend" on me. It's quite a drag. I don't really like thinking about what could be if I failed at a task I was "responsible" for as such. E.g. Can you promise to be here on X day at X time? Uhh, not really. Interestingly enough, when I was a Christian, and we'd have gatherings... if I did show up, I was always early :).

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really like thinking about what could be if I failed at a task I was "responsible" for as such.
You mean for fear of letting others down, or just for fear of how bad whatever condition/situation it is could become?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You mean for fear of letting others down, or just for fear of how bad whatever condition/situation it is could become?

Both, really. Although, it might be less of a fear of letting others down, and more of a fear of just having a bad rep for being irresponsible :p. I don't really care about responsibility as a whole. I'll do what I absolutely have to do, but nothing more. Anything more I do, consider it a gift.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Being expressly introverted, I don't seek it out (responsibility) but it ends up in my lap anyway. Most of the time I get additional tasks that others have failed at. In a weird way, it's probably that I don't want the responsibility that I usually get it. I'll simply get the task done as simply and effectively as possible. Then it's over with. Because I want it over with quickly, I don't make assumptions, I don't rely on second-hand information, and I don't put myself in a position to rely on others at all - except for what I expressly dictate to them.

I find it extremely efficient. Others find it extremely annoying and anti-social. People who gave me the responsibility in the first place find it extremely satisfying (that the task is done - right).

Ironic, isn't it?