User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which sense is your strongest?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely sight

15 27.27%
  • Definitely hearing

11 20.00%
  • Balanced between hearing and sight

9 16.36%
  • Really good sense of smell

13 23.64%
  • Really good sense of touch

11 20.00%
  • Really good sense of taste

4 7.27%
  • I'm not sure

6 10.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 2345 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

touch (which leads me to compulsively touch almost EVERYTHING ) and taste- which I kinna have to have.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

If anyone feels like tackling it, what did you think of the 2nd half of my OP? This thing:
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    My main reason for this thread: I have good Sight memory. If I see a word or a name once, I'll probably remember from there on out exactly how to spell it. Meanwhile, I have horrible Hearing memory. If I'm listening to someone talk and I'm not in closely-engaged conversation, I'm going to miss all the details, and almost always start drifting off. When I picture what that person is saying as written words, I automatically catch more of the content. Obviously, it helps the most when I write it down, so I can directly look at it. (I have college lectures in mind, specifically.)
    Edit: I just remembered, I can keep a lot of details with me if I'm listening to someone intently--usually a good friend. But in everyday observation, it doesn't stick with me.

Does any of this sound familiar to you? Maybe it's the same for you, but with Hearing instead of Sight?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

to make an extremely vague generalization:

SJ = occipital lobe = has something to do with eyesight
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Kind of a weird question, but I'm curious. Usually, it seems either Sight or Hearing is the strongest of a person's 5 senses. I guess we could give the honorable mention to unexpectedly strong Touch, Smell, or Taste, though.

My main reason for this thread: I have good Sight memory. If I see a word or a name once, I'll probably remember from there on out exactly how to spell it. Meanwhile, I have horrible Hearing memory. If I'm listening to someone talk and I'm not in closely-engaged conversation, I'm going to miss all the details, and almost always start drifting off. When I picture what that person is saying as written words, I automatically catch more of the content. Obviously, it helps the most when I write it down, so I can directly look at it. (I have college lectures in mind, specifically.)
    Edit: I just remembered, I can keep a lot of details with me if I'm listening to someone intently--usually a good friend. But in everyday observation, it doesn't stick with me.

Does any of this sound familiar to you? Maybe it's the same for you, but with Hearing instead of Sight?
    I usually rely on hearing mostly, but I also have a good sight memory -
    at least short term - it's even somewhat photographic.
    I don't need (or want) to touch things.
    My sense of smell is also pretty keen.
    I can smell things my other family members don't.

I had never given too much thought to this, but, by seeing this poll, I realised that all of my senses function very well.

I have a famously good sight, I can spot things in very long distance and people usually ask me to check for, for instance, bus numbers, road signs, etc. I can't think of many people who have stronger sight than me.
    My hearing is pretty good too, though I've never cared too much about it. I have a very strong sense of both smell and taste, especially smell might be my most sensitive sense and the one that can annoy me the most.

I think if I were a bit more observant, I could perceive an overly large number of information, by simply allowing my senses to function as they always do, and without the least additional effort of my part.

EDIT: Touch?! Sure, it's a sense, but how can it vary from one person to another? You have skin, you have touch. Except of course if we mean whether you prefer to use it as a mean to collect information, which in my case, I don't find extremely important the information touch can give me.

MBTI
    INtP

1. Vision: Not very good, but I depend on and focus on it by far the most.
    2. Touch: Probably average.
    3. Hearing: Not that good. It's sensitive enough, but I have difficulty distinguishing between sounds (music lyrics are often a complete no-go, for instance). Things tend to fade into the background, amplifying my already annoying tendency to space out and not notice stuff .
    4. Taste/Smell: Probably my worst. I tend not to notice a lot of smells, and although there are a lot of things that taste good, they're not particularly subtle - chocolate ice cream, etc.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I'm a great deal better at detection than discrimination. Memory is a different issue though. I think it ought to belong in a separate category. Noticing something is not the same as recalling it later. That said, my memory is pretty lousy unless I force myself to remember. I can't believe I completely forgotten I had a class Thursday morning... *smacks head*

Ummm breakdown...
    Vision: Probably my dominant. I'm a visual learner. I'm good at tracking movement, bad at spotting details especially when there's too much flashing lights etc.
    Hearing: Same as vision, I'm sensitive to sounds so long as I don't get overloaded. I can pinpoint them and distinguish between tones. It's usually easier for me to recall from images than sounds though.
    Smell/Taste: Average I suppose. These two are the most difficult to describe with words so I can't exactly compare them with other people's.
    Touch: Probably average. I depend on it much less than vision and hearing.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

If anyone feels like tackling it, what did you think of the 2nd half of my OP? This thing:
    I understand you entirely. My memory is flawed to begin with, but if someone says something that I don't already know, I nearly always make them write/spell it out so that I can understand what they're saying exactly. My ears blurr P's, B's, D's etc. so its easy for me to lose meaning. On top of that, my mind starts to wander WHILE I'm in conversation, even if I REALLY want to hear what they have to say. Meanwhile, when reading, I'm capable of going at my own pace and let things settle in. The words don't fade, and there's a sense of security in that for me.

I'm very good at things like lining things up, memorizing colors, and other things that come with good sight memory.

Nearly always though if I smell or taste something, that memory of it is with me. I can remember the way things tasted years and years later.. One year, when I was still like 12 or something, we had this guy set up at the flea market selling homemade root beer. It was the best soda I ever had in my life, and I still remember the significant difference which makes me, to this day, refrain from the generic sodas in the stores that taste disgusting in comparison.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTJ

You're a visual learner as opposed to an aural learner. I am the same. Any information that comes in through your weaker learning sense isn't retained as well. That's my attempt

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

Nearly always though if I smell or taste something, that memory of it is with me. I can remember the way things tasted years and years later.. One year, when I was still like 12 or something, we had this guy set up at the flea market selling homemade root beer. It was the best soda I ever had in my life, and I still remember the significant difference which makes me, to this day, refrain from the generic sodas in the stores that taste disgusting in comparison.
    My sense of smell is great. There are certain smells that have stayed very embedded in my memory and can affect mood as well. For me a few are the smell of new books, the antique smell of say a 40+ yr. old rusted Baritone Saxophone (the antique smell covers more than just the sax, but it was my first run-in with it; another would be my grandfather's nutcracker collection) and this certain perfume/cologne/lotion/etc. that I love smelling..even though I have no idea what it is.
    Last edited by ArbiterDewey; 10-12-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: removed uneccesary comma
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram

INTj here. I have really good senses of touch and hearing (though apparently my hands are utterly insensitive to heat). I have almost no sense of smell and my sense of taste is slightly below average. I tell people apart by the sound of their voices, not by faces.

I also have no depth perception and almost no peripheral vision, so I've learned not to rely on my sight... unlike most people.
    "Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sense-experience correspond to a logically uniform style of thought." -Einstein

"Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily — weak people, in other words — they stand no chance!" -Snape

Em. Female INTx and Proud of it. Left-handed Calligrapher. Writer. Scientist. Type Five Enneagram.