User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Creativity

MBTI
    ISXJ

Hmmm, I've been going back and forth about this topic in my mind trying to figure out if I think of myself as creative or not.

Cimarron, I can relate to what you said about instruments. I played the piano for many years, and although I was a technically good player I did not create my own music, nor could I spontaneously put something together.

However, I did always really enjoy art class and playing with color, and drawing and stuff...and I do like abstract art. Not to say that I was ever fantastic at art, but it is something I still enjoy. I did some sculpting (with clay) too...which was lots of fun.

In the sense that ISTJ's often have dry/sarcastic wit about them, I think that takes some sort of mental creativity. A well-placed punchline or comeback takes quickness and the ability to play with words. To me, that is creativity.

MBTI
    ISTJ

As far as creativity goes I am unsure. I am a Dungeon Master for Dungeons & Dungeons and have to come up with elaborate plots and fun combat encounters, and so forth; but nothing I come up with is original. I simply "change" something that was pre-existing, or sometimes use it directly, especially if it's obscure.

For example: I stole the character voice directly from a video game noone in the party had played for the first Dwarf NPC (while Roleplaying, I do voices.) The abandoned mines in the first and second sessions were stolen from Shining the Holy Ark (because of three players dropping out, there wasn't the large pit that everyone falls into at the end.)

Also, a lot of the time I'll read a book (which I read a lot of) and, because my friends rarely read the books I do, they'd never guess I stole a plot device or say an Island Kingdom (current campaign, lol.)

It simply comes off as original/creative.
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Yeah, something I should have realized at the start is that "creativity/artistic ability" obviously can't be pinned down the way I'm trying to do it here. If Intuition is tied to "creativity", then why are SPs deemed "Artisans"? I don't really trust the temperaments grouping, but there are SPs who honestly consider themselves artistic and creative, so that kind of destroys my idea right there.

Cool, though, thanks for these responses! It looks like there may be some kind of connection...

Quote Originally Posted by ArbiterDewey View Post
    ...but nothing I come up with is original. I simply "change" something that was pre-existing, or sometimes use it directly, especially if it's obscure.

It simply comes off as original/creative.
    In terms of "functions", do you think this trend could be Si?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

From another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuehrer
    I voted for Low Intelligence - High Creativity because I am more swayed by a creative idea than logical possibility (logic also has a way of changing). I believe that the most random, frivolous, and pointless inspirations at any given time could end up being useful in the future in one form or another.

Personally, it feels more rewarding to come up with a random idea than it does to uncover a truth through analysis.
    I can't identify with that at all. I believe that random, frivolous, pointless inspirations are frivolous and pointless. They may be useful, but they don't seem reliable as a factual thing--unless validated afterwards by logic.
    And it feels so much more rewarding to me to systematically analyze something and uncover the truth at the bottom of it, than to just find a random idea. But I guess those are our differences, it's not meant as a criticism at all. It's my expression of wonderment at a certain viewpoint, that's all.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm totally uncreative and untalented lol. This is actually a pressing issue for me right now because I have to do a demonstration speech for Speech class (shocking, right? ) and I don't know how to do anything lol. I've pretty much decided on meditation but I don't expect a great grade.

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm really uncreative too. haha. I can't draw a stick figure to save my life. Arts and Crafts? Can I cut a piece of paper into a square and throw some glitter on it? I used to want to draw a picture of a horse exactly like it appeared in a magazine and I got frustrated and cried to my mom. lolz

MBTI
    ISTJ

I somehow got into a position at work which requires some degree of creativity. I am incapable of coming up with one original idea, so I usually just look to see what has been done in the past by other companies, and then just edit it to meet my company's needs.

However, I am awesome at pointing out flaws in others' plans... which they just love, I am sure.

MBTI
    ESTJ

I don't know why SJs couldn't be creative. Even if you aren't, your strengths definitely make up for it.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I know, and yet it seems that most of us think we aren't creative. Hopefully not because we're told so and it just sinks in over time, but that could be affecting our answers.

Just looking for individual responses.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

True, Spirilis, and that's pretty much what my music teacher always used to say about music: it's all been done before, the creativity is in how you put it together this time. Your interpretation of it.

But for me the thing that stands out the most is my inability to just make something up spontaneously...well, actually I'm working on it. Maybe with effort and experience, I'll build up to it eventually.