• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] ESTJ vs ISTJ - Compare & Contrast

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Exactly what it says in the title.
Could somebody, anybody, be willing to compare and contrast the similarities and differences between ESTJ and ISTJ, and in detail?

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Te-Ne is more intense. The first thing that comes to their mind when they look at something is "how can this be of use (to me)? What can be done with it?" It's about doing things, using things, verifying things etc first and foremost. Si-Fi perceives and weighs first, then acts accordingly. IMO more reflection on an intuitive level.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
My observations are based on a very small sample size.

1. The ESTJs that I know seem a bit more self-absorbed; they seem almost oblivious to the feelings of other people (ex: hogging the remote control) and so they can be quite harsh with their words (too blunt, imo).

2. There's the usual E vs I difference. I very seldom have conversations lasting more than 2 minutes; the ESTJs I know can talk for a good hour.

3. The ESTJs I know also seem much more driven to complete a task; they want to complete a project as soon as possible, sometimes to the detriment of their health. I'm fine with leaving projects unfinished.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTJs tend to be more Go-getterish, ISTJs are lazier and need more time to think things through.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had two colleagues once who were officially tested.

The ESTJ ran the office when the boss was away, preocupiednwith getting shit done and keeping thibgs flowing. She was utterly petite, yet had no problem removing a 6'4'' muscled, disgruntled and possibly aggressive guy from our officenwith just a stern voice and steely attitude.

She was utterly polite and a trained psychologist so she did focus on people as it was her job but the job always came first, as did optimizing the organisation. She was a go getter in terms of following up leads and getting customers and during a crisis she d have a cool head and revert to the 'manual', using logic and rules to solve and determine the best course of action based on precedent.

Interestingly, she liked details only in that kind of situation. When a big project for the city came in, which she helped develop the lead on, we had to send in an offer. I saw her look at the guidelines which typically are quite anal and robust, and groan. She had no patience for it as it would suck up hours to follow to the exact specifications.

She showed it to the istj, who lit up like a christmas tree. Like the estj, she liked doing a thorough job and competition. Bur she especially loved the idea of putting together in exact detail an offer that was perfect for landing us this great client. The idea of being in her office, alone, with this perfect puzzle and a carefully constructed manual on how to achieve this perfection and earn a cookie, so to speak - aka the prestige/pat on the back for landing a big client, was pure bliss, and something that fit perfectly in her wheel house. And she did get us that client, i believe ;)