• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Can you describe your experience with introverted sensing?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi,

Thanks to anyone who responds. How would you describe your experience with introverted sensing? Thanks again.

practicalzebra767

MBTI Type
ISTJ
My experience with introverted sensing is that I tend to be very in-tune with past memories, body sensations, and facts and figures. For example, I remember addresses, phone numbers, prices, etc. very well. I can recognize faces almost immediately. I'll remember what brand name of dish soap or laundry detergent someone uses after I've been to their house. Essentially, details that no one really particularly cares about, people with introverted sensing will most likely remember xD Also, (if introverted sensing is the dominant function) I tend to apply past experiences to current ones, since intuition is not my strong suit.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
My experience with introverted sensing is that I tend to be very in-tune with past memories, body sensations, and facts and figures. For example, I remember addresses, phone numbers, prices, etc. very well. I can recognize faces almost immediately. I'll remember what brand name of dish soap or laundry detergent someone uses after I've been to their house. Essentially, details that no one really particularly cares about, people with introverted sensing will most likely remember xD Also, (if introverted sensing is the dominant function) I tend to apply past experiences to current ones, since intuition is not my strong suit.

Thanks, that sounds familair, remembering details about people or things that no one else notices, or remembering conversations from months ago. Thanks again!

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Annoying when you'd like to forget the past but every emotion from it screams in your face.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Si is the bed I sink into when my dominant Fe becomes too much. It's like my little shell when the world overwhelms me. It's where I can go and delve deep into my memories, revel in the comfort of my mind and what's familiar.
Si is also like my guide. It's my experience, it's what I turn to when I'm unsure, it's the standard to which I hold everything.
Si is really internal for me. I'm an extrovert, so Fe-Ne is what the world sees. So when my Si comes out, it surprises everyone.

I seem actually incredibly fun-loving and spontaneous...definitely not how one would immediately picture an SJ. I'm the one who wants to go on adventures and try a bunch of new shit. But deep down, I'm in control of all that. I only like spontaneity when I call all the shots, and when I can return at any time to my little spot of familiarity. I'm terrified of change and I secretly manipulate my whole world to try to keep everything solid. Deep down I need a lot of structure, and I my mind actually has a surprising amount of organization and categories. That's another thing--I categorize everything. Everything in my mind has a label and a place in my mental web.

Also this is a stereotype but I still have a hella good memory and love traditions of many kinds. I'm your girl for remembering exact dates for things and random trivia that everyone else forgot.

Basically, my Si is what makes me an SJ deep down. On the surface I'm your lovable, witty Fe-Ne basket-case, but underneath I truly am the change-averse, tradition-loving, pragmatic, comfy SJ that you'll always read about.

I think it may be very different for ESFJs as compared to other SJs (at least in my experience; I'm not trying to be a snowflake or anything). ESFJs are extroverts and use their Fe-Ne, which often looks startingly ENFP on the outside. But any other SJ can jump in if I'm way off base.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I create my own archetypes through personal experience and live off them. They do not change.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
For myself as an ENTP hmmm Si is used not in a good way at all. Its used under stress mostly when I binge watch childhood cartoons and games I once enjoyed to revoke a sense of familiarity plus I get stuck in a rut of nostgala. In a way I couldnt use Ne without Si I think as Ne does use Si data to bounce off from in many ways.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Annoying when you'd like to forget the past but every emotion from it screams in your face.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate you commenting, do you feel your Si is helpful to you at all in any situations? How do these emotions present themselves and what triggers the response? Thanks again for the response and your time.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
For myself as an ENTP hmmm Si is used not in a good way at all. Its used under stress mostly when I binge watch childhood cartoons and games I once enjoyed to revoke a sense of familiarity plus I get stuck in a rut of nostgala. In a way I couldnt use Ne without Si I think as Ne does use Si data to bounce off from in many ways.

Thanks for your response. It seems so far in this post, Si, isn't everyone's friend. So how does Si help your Ne? Is there something you hope will happen when you use Si under stress or has it just become natural/habitual? Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

I create my own archetypes through personal experience and live off them. They do not change.

Thanks for your response, how do you live off an archetype and create them? Thanks again.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Si is the bed I sink into when my dominant Fe becomes too much. It's like my little shell when the world overwhelms me. It's where I can go and delve deep into my memories, revel in the comfort of my mind and what's familiar.
Si is also like my guide. It's my experience, it's what I turn to when I'm unsure, it's the standard to which I hold everything.
Si is really internal for me. I'm an extrovert, so Fe-Ne is what the world sees. So when my Si comes out, it surprises everyone.

I seem actually incredibly fun-loving and spontaneous...definitely not how one would immediately picture an SJ. I'm the one who wants to go on adventures and try a bunch of new shit. But deep down, I'm in control of all that. I only like spontaneity when I call all the shots, and when I can return at any time to my little spot of familiarity. I'm terrified of change and I secretly manipulate my whole world to try to keep everything solid. Deep down I need a lot of structure, and I my mind actually has a surprising amount of organization and categories. That's another thing--I categorize everything. Everything in my mind has a label and a place in my mental web.

Also this is a stereotype but I still have a hella good memory and love traditions of many kinds. I'm your girl for remembering exact dates for things and random trivia that everyone else forgot.

Basically, my Si is what makes me an SJ deep down. On the surface I'm your lovable, witty Fe-Ne basket-case, but underneath I truly am the change-averse, tradition-loving, pragmatic, comfy SJ that you'll always read about.

I think it may be very different for ESFJs as compared to other SJs (at least in my experience; I'm not trying to be a snowflake or anything). ESFJs are extroverts and use their Fe-Ne, which often looks startingly ENFP on the outside. But any other SJ can jump in if I'm way off base.

Thanks for the response. So when you Si comes, out, what about for you surprises everyone? When you slink into your Si bed, what is happening that comforts you? How do the other SJs in your life experience Si or how do you think they do in comparison to you? Thanks again!

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks for your response, how do you live off an archetype and create them? Thanks again.

they are created through personal experience. I know that a chair is a chair because growing up, what I was taught over and over again was that a chair had 4 legs and a back. So if you showed me, say, a barstool, I would not call that a chair because it doesn't match up with my personal archetype. Si archetypes are personalized, not universal, and unique to each SJ. I 'live off of them' as in it is the entirety of how I perceive the world, and I do not change my archetypes once they are established.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the response. I appreciate you commenting, do you feel your Si is helpful to you at all in any situations? How do these emotions present themselves and what triggers the response? Thanks again for the response and your time.

I feel it can be good as a warning sign. Like an experience from the past which caused you much pain can be revisited with Si so you don't fall victim as easily again. To ignore the former situation becomes really bad.
Often it is words or tones. Actions. Ones that sound familiar to the experience which left a negative impact on me. It can take me days to get out of the bad funk I get in from it though.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
they are created through personal experience. I know that a chair is a chair because growing up, what I was taught over and over again was that a chair had 4 legs and a back. So if you showed me, say, a barstool, I would not call that a chair because it doesn't match up with my personal archetype. Si archetypes are personalized, not universal, and unique to each SJ. I 'live off of them' as in it is the entirety of how I perceive the world, and I do not change my archetypes once they are established.

Thanks for the response. What type of archetypes do you form about people or something like art? Thanks again.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I feel it can be good as a warning sign. Like an experience from the past which caused you much pain can be revisited with Si so you don't fall victim as easily again. To ignore the former situation becomes really bad.
Often it is words or tones. Actions. Ones that sound familiar to the experience which left a negative impact on me. It can take me days to get out of the bad funk I get in from it though.

Thanks for the response. So how have you gone about trying to put a stop to Si, after it has served its purpose of warning you? Thanks again.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the response. So how have you gone about trying to put a stop to Si, after it has served its purpose of warning you? Thanks again.
I usually desire to stop it but its hard to do. it leaves a lasting negative emotion for a while after things end even so.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Si dom is instantly thinking of past experiences with it, vetting new information with a vast assemblage of information, adjusting said picture of the world to accommodate new information if it doesn't fit. It's essentially a world of historicism and past contexts, linking information of one era to another. Si has the immensity of multiple worlds with multiple perspectives if it is something the mind wishes to pursue (think Tolkien and world-building, but applied to the real world). It's tremendously complicated.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks for your response. It seems so far in this post, Si, isn't everyone's friend. So how does Si help your Ne? Is there something you hope will happen when you use Si under stress or has it just become natural/habitual? Thanks again.

As for how Si aids my Ne hmmm a good analogy would be that Ne is the idea so to speak a bit like say Ne says to create a battle ship and it alone can hop around and around gathering ideas for new ideas but behind all those ideas is a past experience somewhere that that idea was based on like say I brainstormed 10 ideas on how to design the battle ships lounge area even though I may create something unquie and new at the end of the day on the lower level I am using Si impressions of past lounge rooms Ive seen and used Ne to merge all the ideas into different mixtures like creating a new drink from cocktails. Oh :D a good metaphor for Ne/Si would be messing around to create new cocktails as the end result may be different but you are using mostly the same resources (Si) to create a new combo.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
As for how Si aids my Ne hmmm a good analogy would be that Ne is the idea so to speak a bit like say Ne says to create a battle ship and it alone can hop around and around gathering ideas for new ideas but behind all those ideas is a past experience somewhere that that idea was based on like say I brainstormed 10 ideas on how to design the battle ships lounge area even though I may create something unquie and new at the end of the day on the lower level I am using Si impressions of past lounge rooms Ive seen and used Ne to merge all the ideas into different mixtures like creating a new drink from cocktails. Oh :D a good metaphor for Ne/Si would be messing around to create new cocktails as the end result may be different but you are using mostly the same resources (Si) to create a new combo.

Thanks for the insight into your thought process. Reminds of a talk I heard from Charles Duhigg who defined creativity in a similar way. So now I am curious, what that type of thought process/creativity, what do you do for a living and for fun, besides making battleship cocktails? Thanks again.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Si dom is instantly thinking of past experiences with it, vetting new information with a vast assemblage of information, adjusting said picture of the world to accommodate new information if it doesn't fit. It's essentially a world of historicism and past contexts, linking information of one era to another. Si has the immensity of multiple worlds with multiple perspectives if it is something the mind wishes to pursue (think Tolkien and world-building, but applied to the real world). It's tremendously complicated.

Thanks for the response and interesting perspective. Do you think Si users are fully aware of the complexity of the function? How do you think one would go about world building and expanding upon their Si? Thanks again for the response.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I usually desire to stop it but its hard to do. it leaves a lasting negative emotion for a while after things end even so.

Thanks for the response and best of luck in your journey.