• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Can you describe your experience with introverted sensing?

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Thanks for the response and interesting perspective. Do you think Si users are fully aware of the complexity of the function? How do you think one would go about world building and expanding upon their Si? Thanks again for the response.

I don't think most people are fully aware of how anything works, especially if it goes on in their own brains. I find most explanations of Pi inadequate most of the time. And when it's said to be more complex as a dominant function as opposed to being a tert (etc) function, then their difference is never really explained except in the most simplest of ways. The problem with explaining these things in simple ways is that literally everybody's brains can be reduced to such simple function; there is nobody who doesn't rely on a subjective intake of information from the concrete world. (To give an example, our German instructor gave us a task: To draw a flower. EVERYONE in the class, except for one, drew the same kind of flower - in the same iconography. This is because all of us, when we were growing up, has literally been shown the same sort of diagrams so that we associate it with the same sort of words - and this is from a very transcultural perspective, since all of us were from different cultures.)

I think the expansion of Si can only be done in a very rigorous way, by taking in hard information, sorting them out, from as wide a variety and sources as is possible to maintain the best possible understanding.

As for world-building, once some things (eg: Theories, languages, the way languages function) are internalised, the same theories can be used to build something entirely new (eg: construction of a new language). That's why I brought Tolkien in as an example - to show how complex everything can be with Si as a dominant function, and, with the help of other functions, achieve vastly complex and even abstract tasks. Si is so often reduced to such a banal idea that it might as well not exist as a "function".

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't think most people are fully aware of how anything works, especially if it goes on in their own brains. I find most explanations of Pi inadequate most of the time. And when it's said to be more complex as a dominant function as opposed to being a tert (etc) function, then their difference is never really explained except in the most simplest of ways. The problem with explaining these things in simple ways is that literally everybody's brains can be reduced to such simple function; there is nobody who doesn't rely on a subjective intake of information from the concrete world. (To give an example, our German instructor gave us a task: To draw a flower. EVERYONE in the class, except for one, drew the same kind of flower - in the same iconography. This is because all of us, when we were growing up, has literally been shown the same sort of diagrams so that we associate it with the same sort of words - and this is from a very transcultural perspective, since all of us were from different cultures.)

I think the expansion of Si can only be done in a very rigorous way, by taking in hard information, sorting them out, from as wide a variety and sources as is possible to maintain the best possible understanding.

As for world-building, once some things (eg: Theories, languages, the way languages function) are internalised, the same theories can be used to build something entirely new (eg: construction of a new language). That's why I brought Tolkien in as an example - to show how complex everything can be with Si as a dominant function, and, with the help of other functions, achieve vastly complex and even abstract tasks. Si is so often reduced to such a banal idea that it might as well not exist as a "function".

Thanks for the responses and the insights!