• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Intellectually curious SJ's

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
What separates the intellectually curious SJ's from the non-intellectually curious SJ's?

SJ's, on average, seem to be one of the least intellectually curious of the types, but some break this stereotype.

Do you think extroversion vs. introversion has to do with it? Maturity? Intelligence? Upbringing?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It's a good thing for you there aren't many SJs on the board. Did I mention LOL? LOL.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't know but I hope you're going to give your opinion.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Upbringing was an interesting thing to mention. It might have heavy weight in this case, since if an SJ is raised to value curiosity and intellectual pursuits, and if SJ's feel best when they uphold their values, then they would try hard to be curious and grow up to be "intellectual". Does that sound plausible?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know but I hope you're going to give your opinion.

I think an SJ will have to have some conditions favorable to intellectualism, more so than the other types, for them to be of the intellectually curious breed. Like introversion, IQ, an upbringing where free thought was encouraged, and/or intellectual parents who could answer all of their "why" questions.

And also, since SJ's are goal oriented, if they happen to have a goal of understanding the world, finding themselves, attaining wisdom..etc. this will of course help.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Upbringing was an interesting thing to mention. It might have heavy weight in this case, since if an SJ is raised to value curiosity and intellectual pursuits, and if SJ's feel best when they uphold their values, then they would try hard to be curious and grow up to be "intellectual". Does that sound plausible?

Very.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I think an SJ will have to have some conditions favorable to intellectualism, more so than the other types, for them to be of the intellectually curious breed. Like introversion, IQ, an upbringing where free thought was encouraged, and/or intellectual parents who could answer all of their "why" questions.

And also, since SJ's are goal oriented, if they happen to have a goal of understanding the world, finding themselves, attaining wisdom..etc. this will of course help.

And if you're T...not so?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And then how would those pursuits be different for an SJ than they would for a more naturally intellectual type? Assuming the SJ does not continue these intellectual pursuits for the sole (or main) reason of obligation, and develops a true liking for them (is that possible, deep-down?)...would the only difference be in how they found the path that led them to that enjoyment?

You started out with the question, and now we're all asking you questions...:D Pardon us.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
And then how would those pursuits be different for an SJ than they would for a more naturally intellectual type? Assuming the SJ does not continue these intellectual pursuits for the sole (or main) reason of obligation, and develops a true liking for them (is that possible, deep-down?)...would the only difference be in how they found the path that led them to that enjoyment?

You started out with the question, and now we're all asking you questions...:D Pardon us.

They might go about and think about intellectual pursuits in a more deliberate, practical, and clear way, rather than welcoming fuzzy abstractions.

And since they are more group orientated, they might enjoy having others come along with them for the ride rather than go about it in a strictly solitary way... such as joining forums like this or joining book groups.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, I see how it's meshing together. Your general idea might work.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
They might go about and think about intellectual pursuits in a more deliberate, practical, and clear way, rather than welcoming fuzzy abstractions.

And since they are more group orientated, they might enjoy having others come along with them for the ride rather than go about it in a strictly solitary way... such as joining forums like this or joining book groups.

Yes, I don't think intellectualism (is that a word?) is such a "pursuit" for us. It's something I enjoy here (and only when I know what the heck someone is talking about) but I don't go to bed with all of this. Not like er..Bluewing and the like.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Geez, that boy never comes out for a little light hearted somethin' somethin'.
Ah well, whatever blows your hair back, huh.

MEC

What separates the intellectually curious SJ's from the non-intellectually curious SJ's?

SJ's, on average, seem to be one of the least intellectually curious of the types, but some break this stereotype.

Do you think extroversion vs. introversion has to do with it? Maturity? Intelligence? Upbringing?
Well Iam introverted, mature and according to my IQ test intelligent SJ.:reading: I am intellectually curious about things that interest me, I think that's what makes the difference.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My ISTJ is very intellectually curious. He's often fascinated by things he encounters and wants to know more about them.

The difference seems to be that when his interest is triggered, he makes a mental note to research/look it up when he has time. Whilst I'll just tend to think about it myself right there and then and want to discuss it and theorize about it and then only later maybe look it up and see if my theory was right. He doesn't join me in this, I'll propose a thought in connection with this thing that's just captured both of our curiosities, and rather than consider it and talk about it with me, he'll just sorta say "Well, that might be a point, we'll have to look it up later". It's like nothing is a point to him until a published authority corroborates it lol

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Yes, I don't think intellectualism (is that a word?) is such a "pursuit" for us. It's something I enjoy here (and only when I know what the heck someone is talking about) but I don't go to bed with all of this. Not like er..Bluewing and the like.

This is well-said, and I completely agree. I pursue things that interest me, or things that make me curious. If I have no interest whatsoever in something, the chances of me bothering to explore it are slim-to-none. Perhaps ISTJ's come off as "intellectuals" because we can be so painstakingly thorough. Once something has our interest we put lots of effort into researching and practicing whatever it is, which in turn makes us seem incredibly competent about our areas of interest.

The difference seems to be that when his interest is triggered, he makes a mental note to research/look it up when he has time.

Lol...I do this too. I have a long list of things I want to know more about, do, and books I want to read. I think for me, the reason I like doing research first is that I like to read different perspectives than my own, see what others have to say (to see if they match or go against what I think), and then draw my conclusions. Before doing research I might have my own ideas and theories, but I know I bring my own experiences, biases, and notions into the mix, so I think it's nice to see how other people approach the same thing.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
yeah I think the same thing Recoleta, that's why I instantly want to talk about my own theories with other people :laugh:

I just figure y'know, published stuff is only the result of other people knowing stuff and writing about it, but lots of people know lots of stuff that they haven't written about or published, so I don't get why your fellow human being, whom you know to be intelligent and to have knowledge in many areas, isn't just as viable a source of information as the library. Then you can always check up later if you missed anything or got anything wrong that way :)

I guess it's the thing where we don't trust our inferior functions or don't think they're any use... in his case he won't trust his intuitive connections made from his own knowledge in order to talk about things without physical evidence (which he regards books to be, never mind how regularly they're debunked, disagreed with etc by rival authors), whilst I don't see any point in going straight to the authorities without having a go myself. It's a strange pairing, an ISxJ and an ENxP! :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've got a better suggestion. How about intellectually incurious NTs?