User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 72

  1. #41
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    OMG INTP's really know how to run a smooth discussion eh?

    Haha... well, don't pick your pitchforks up yet people - see bold below.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    SJ's seem, on average, to have less intellectual curiosity than NT's... is that statement really that surprising and controversial? I'm not saying they are less intelligent.
    He is allowing after all, for it just being a surface appearance...

    *whinces*
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  2. #42
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    SJ's seem, on average, to have less intellectual curiosity than NT's... is that statement really that surprising and controversial? I'm not saying they are less intelligent.

    It could be a different type of curiosity.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #43
    Senior Member mlittrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    all types can be intellectually curious but they all go about it in different ways. its too hard to narrow down if SJs are more or less intellectually curious then say NTs because that depends on the person not the type. the type will change how you go about being intellectually curious
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

    "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

    Mahatma Gandhi

    Enneagram: 9w1

  4. #44
    Senior Member ZiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I engage in long, bizarre, speculative conversation a good amount of the time. My sense of humor is very off-kilter and transgressive, as well. My intellectual curiosity is also quite strong, but it's more about trying to learn as much relevant information about a given topic as I can (and, believe me, I get obsessive about it), as opposed to learn the underlying principles that make it work. I enjoy reading about cosmology, for instance, but I couldn't stand to do the simplest equations in Survey of the Universe class at college.
    This is the way my ISFJ friend does things. He gets a big kick out of finding information and trying to remember it so that he can pull it out like a big compendium at a later date and blow you away with it. He's curious, but not usually about the same types of things as me, and he expresses the curiosity in a totally different way. I remember we were in AP European history together, and he got the biggest kick out of learning all the details about an event or historical period, while I preferred to find historical patterns that interested me and only research details relevent to the pattern I had found. He could memorize easily by date, while I needed concepts to help with memorization.

  5. #45
    Senior Member dnivera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?
    Posts
    165

    Default

    SJs perhaps seem less intellectually curious to you than NTs because we are systematic thinkers. We don't challenge your ideas or do the sparring back-and-forth like NTs do. That doesn't necessarily mean that we're less intellectually curious, capable, or intelligent than NTs. SJs tend to think "inside the box" and accept things as they are, incorporating ideas into universal belief systems, rather than challenge mainstream ideas and look for hidden meanings and connections.

    So maybe it seems like we're not intellectually curious, but we're just not interested in testing ideas with you or engaging in debates or sparring. I'm not a confrontational person, so if someone tries to provoke me, I'm going to give my (differing) opinion, but I'm not interested in arguing with you. When I get attacked by people I tend to ask them questions about why they believe what they belive, rather than challenge their position. This is IRL face-to-face conversations - in writing, I will tear you apart. But I'm a really curious person who is more 5ish than SJ. I want to know about everything and anything.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

    Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

  6. #46
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnivera View Post
    So maybe it seems like we're not intellectually curious, but we're just not interested in testing ideas with you or engaging in debates or sparring. I'm not a confrontational person, so if someone tries to provoke me, I'm going to give my (differing) opinion, but I'm not interested in arguing with you. When I get attacked by people I tend to ask them questions about why they believe what they belive, rather than challenge their position. This is IRL face-to-face conversations - in writing, I will tear you apart. But I'm a really curious person who is more 5ish than SJ. I want to know about everything and anything.
    This kind of resonates with me. What do you think about asking "why"?

    Do SJ's see no need to ask the question "Why?", or maybe we pass it through the "Why should I care?" and "Does it really matter/make a difference?" filter before bothering to ask "Why"?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  7. #47
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    This kind of resonates with me. What do you think about asking "why"?

    Do SJ's see no need to ask the question "Why?", or maybe we pass it through the "Why should I care?" and "Does it really matter/make a difference?" filter before bothering to ask "Why"?
    Perhaps so to not disrupt harmony and tradition? Perhaps because of valuing functional groups and rules more than the need for change and questioning things?

    Or simply just a lack of caring about issues that to them are so removed and abstract and have nothing to do with them and what they do care about.

  8. #48
    Senior Member dnivera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?
    Posts
    165

    Default

    I'm not interested in arguing because I don't think it's worth the energy, especially if it's something that seems cut-and-dried or black-and-white to me, but not to other people who want to debate it to death. I have other things I could be doing! You can try to engage me, but I'll refuse, unless it's something I'm passionate about. (like defending SJs, apparently....)
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

    Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

  9. #49
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnivera View Post
    I'm not interested in arguing because I don't think it's worth the energy, especially if it's something that seems cut-and-dried or black-and-white to me, but not to other people who want to debate it to death. I have other things I could be doing! You can try to engage me, but I'll refuse, unless it's something I'm passionate about. (like defending SJs, apparently....)
    To me, certain kinds of argument and debate are just one of the many kinds of ways intellectual curiosity expresses itself.

    Maybe you could list some ways you see average SJ's expressing their intellectual curiosity? Hmmm, but you did just say you don't like to argue... but don't think of this as arguing.

  10. #50
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    To me, certain kinds of argument and debate are just one of the many kinds of ways intellectual curiosity expresses itself.
    Then what about listening to other people debate/argue? That would provide an SJ, as an audience, with the exploration of ideas, but wouldn't be using too much energy and wouldn't be getting personally and actively involved in challenging traditions.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 09-29-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: italics
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] A theory about SJs and mistyping
    By Zeego in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-13-2016, 03:42 PM
  2. [SJ] How do SJs experience crushes?
    By Usehername in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 01:19 PM
  3. Intellectual Interests
    By labyrinthine in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 07:00 PM
  4. Does SJ vs SP account for gender bias?
    By Tayshaun in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO