User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

^^^I was getting there. I need to unleash my Monday Morning Fury.

Of course the default for Ns is intellectually curious.
    Smart S=average N.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTP

Proteanmix - I don't see this being about intelligence/smartness, but curiosity... perhaps you equate the two and perhaps they are often associated, but they're not the same thing entirely, so it doesn't necessarily follow that someone not seeing the one in a person would automatically assume the other to not be present.

Perhaps ajblaise in the OP is falling victim to simply not recognizing or understanding these different manifestations of intelligence and curiosity; considering how as I described earlier, I find it very difficult to get my SJ friends and relatives to engage in speculative conversation triggered by sheer curiosity, I can see how it would be easy for me, and has been in the past, to assume that this is because they have no curiosity. This I've begun to realize is a false impression, and this thread could be a positive attempt to fully expose this fallacy and address the root causes of the prejudices upon which it's built - i.e., the different ways in which people manifest similar qualities and the lack of recognition of the fact that something simply not being noticed by certain people does not equal it not existing.

But I don't know how anything constructive is going to be discussed or how ajblaise is going to realize the errors of his impressions if this thread descends into another witch hunt, started by a rather thinly veiled ad hominem attack against someone for simply being young and tactless, even though the very existence of his question, however tactlessly worded, shows that he is QUESTIONING the false assumptions upon which it hangs - surely a good thing?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ISTJ

I thought this thread was going okay....
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

this thread smells like generalizations ...
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ISTJ

Uhm, this was a very nice middle-of-the night converstion, thank you very much....I'm an SJ and wasn't offended by it.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Proteanmix - I don't see this being about intelligence/smartness, but curiosity... perhaps you equate the two and perhaps they are often associated, but they're not the same thing entirely, so it doesn't necessarily follow that someone not seeing the one in a person would automatically assume the other to not be present.

Perhaps ajblaise in the OP is falling victim to simply not recognizing or understanding these different manifestations of intelligence and curiosity; considering how as I described earlier, I find it very difficult to get my SJ friends and relatives to engage in speculative conversation triggered by sheer curiosity, I can see how it would be easy for me, and has been in the past, to assume that this is because they have no curiosity. This I've begun to realize is a false impression, and this thread could be a positive attempt to fully expose this fallacy and address the root causes of the prejudices upon which it's built - i.e., the different ways in which people manifest similar qualities and the lack of recognition of the fact that something simply not being noticed by certain people does not equal it not existing.

But I don't know how anything constructive is going to be discussed or how ajblaise is going to realize the errors of his impressions if this thread descends into another witch hunt, started by a rather thinly veiled ad hominem attack against someone for simply being young and tactless, even though the very existence of his question, however tactlessly worded, shows that he is QUESTIONING the false assumptions upon which it hangs - surely a good thing?
    I think you are exactly right, Sub! When these questions are posed on the forum there is a definite failure to distinguish between intelligence and (intellectual) curiosity and which types have it and which ones don't. It seemed to me that he was insinuating that SJs more often err on the side of not having intellectual curiosity which is what took issue with. Since you've teased that nuance maybe this thread can move in a more productive direction. Given ajblaise's bumptious posting style (how's that for thinly veiled ad hominem?? ) it's good brought up that very pertinent point.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    this thread smells like generalizations ...
    I think it smells more like EXPOSING generalizations and dispelling them through respectful discussion...

Let's not go all strawman now, please! I'd love if the topic could remain the differing expressions of intellectual curiosity and not descend into discussions over whether ajblaise is or isn't evil and nasty for asking the question...

*sees first ever successful contact/communication between self and Proteanmix*
    *faints*
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ISTJ

I think when you're not there when a thread starts you could miss the atmoshere of it when you read it later.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    I think when you're not there when a thread starts you could miss the atmoshere of it when you read it later.
    Who you tellin?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I think it smells more like EXPOSING generalizations and dispelling them through respectful discussion...

Let's not go all strawman now, please! I'd love if the topic could remain the differing expressions of intellectual curiosity and not descend into discussions over whether ajblaise is or isn't evil and nasty for asking the question...

*sees first ever successful contact/communication between self and Proteanmix*
    *faints*
    it's a lot faster and more fun to expose it lol
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1