User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default "Finding" yourself

Okay, so from what I've read around here, generally speaking, most people seem to think that SJ's don't feel the need to "find themselves", that that's not a focus in their lives or not important. Less likely than the other three "temperaments", at least. But I'm wondering whether it happens more often than people realize.

Well, what's your personal experience? Have you ever tried, or are you trying, or do you try, to "find" yourself? Would/is such an endeavor important to you?

(Yes, I know the term "finding yourself" may be vague...but for now, let's see what we can work with.)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

ENFP's are notorious I think for authenticity and wanting to find the real self beneath all of the layers and contradictions we have.

To me, it seems unsettling to know someone for a long time, or THINK you do, only to find out suddenly a dramatic different truth. I guess I am not very good at explaining all of this myself.. but I do know it's important to me, and it always will be.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

-----no big deal here-------
    Last edited by Cimarron; 09-28-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: edited out

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

-.-;; ... I was more trying to get to the point of "ENFP's are the total opposite of that stereotype you mentioned! From that perspective, getting to the root of WHY people seek their "true self" would help maybe identify why SJs may not deem it a vital concern." Next time I'll just leave it to ya'll though. Sorry for your inconvenience.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Doesn't everybody go through at least a short phase of "finding themselves"? I mean, teen years, after graduation, mid-life when the children are grown, etc. I mean, I think we all have periods of self-evaluation, maybe some types are just prone to do it more often.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Get out, 'Ster. You're not a J.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Get out, 'Ster. You're not a J.

Hey, wait! Neither are you! Nerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Daah! Blast! Discovered again! Damned be that Type display! .. >.> .. <skitters out of here now so that this guy can get whatever answer he's seeking>

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Okay, so from what I've read around here, generally speaking, most people seem to think that SJ's don't feel the need to "find themselves", that that's not a focus in their lives or not important. Less likely than the other three "temperaments", at least. But I'm wondering whether it happens more often than people realize.

Well, what's your personal experience? Have you ever tried, or are you trying, or do you try, to "find" yourself? Would/is such an endeavor important to you?

(Yes, I know the term "finding yourself" may be vague...but for now, let's see what we can work with.)
    I'm not sure (as your caveat indicates) of the concept of "finding myself", but to question...

I've never consciously tried to find myself. The first I can remember acting "all grown up 'n stuff" was as a junior in high school. I made a plan (I actually wrote it out) that I would graduate in June of the next year at 17, enlist in the military and retire at 37, get a second career and retire at 57, and then I'd decide what to do. I actually wrote it out when I was 16.

I retired at 34 instead of 37, and plan to retire from teaching in about five more years. I think back to that day I spoke with my father and said, "Here's my plan" with amazement. To this day, I have no idea what prompted me to do such a thing, other than just trying to be ready for what was after high school.

Anyway, that's the experience. I don't know if it qualifies as "finding myself", but there it is.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    -.-;; ... I was more trying to get to the point of "ENFP's are the total opposite of that stereotype you mentioned! From that perspective, getting to the root of WHY people seek their "true self" would help maybe identify why SJs may not deem it a vital concern." Next time I'll just leave it to ya'll though. Sorry for your inconvenience.
    Ohh, I get you. Look, I'll just be more patient and take out the addendum to my OP, okay? We're cool...