User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Some of the things I like about my NT husband are traits shared by my favorite SJs. Like others have said, they do what they do for different reasons, but the outcome is the same. For instance, my husband values competence, so he is conscientious like my favorite SJs. Both types can be very loyal and hold to their principals very staunchly, if for different reasons.

Also, both INTs and ISJs can have kind of a grumpy, stubborn, pessimistic vibe and dry/sardonic sense of humor.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Also, both INTs and ISJs can have kind of a grumpy, stubborn, pessimistic vibe and dry/sardonic sense of humor.
    This is true. ISTJs can be especially dry and sarcastic. I have a friend who I thought was an INTJ from some time for that reason. In terms of intelligence, I would say he has high strategic and logistical intelligence. Some things that make him different from the NT though is that he seems to get a lot of joy from planning social events and he is definitely more interested in the concrete than the abstract (engineer rather than getting a math degree). He also tends to get along the best with other more easily-typed-as-Guardian people. Guardians also have a much stronger sense of duty than Rationals. However, Guardians can be very geeky and science-oriented. If a Guardian is more naturally intelligent than a Rational, that Guardian will likely excel more in the sciences.

Also I also talked about MBTI with him and he said that he sees himself as an ISTJ over INTJ. However, he is someone who can seem very INTJ from first meeting him just from the fact that he's really smart.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not sure about SJ, but ST and NT yes, have many things in common. Valuing logic and reason, things making sense, being the main common ground there.

The two of my closest friends whom I've known the longest and who are my first choices to do anything with are both ST's - one ISTJ and one ISTP. I can see that in some ways I have more in common with the ISTP because of there being two letters in common; but in other ways I have more in common with the ISTJ - a sense of duty being the main thing, though yes, usually for totally different reasons.

I find the place me and ISTJ butt heads most often is when it comes to me seeing different kinds of truth, whilst he only sees truth is truth is truth, and there is no place for lies in truthful behaviour/thought patterns. That is, to him, 'true' means 'factually true', whilst to me it's more along the lines of 'in the spirit of truth'... meaning that if keeping integrity to a root principle entails telling a lie, I don't see that as dishonesty, whilst he does.

However, as long as we don't examine each other's movitations, we tend to agree and get along very well 90% of the time. The trouble is that if he looks into my motivations, he tends to find me more and more 'unpredictable', 'untrustworthy' and other unflattering adjectives, and to see me more and more as 'fickle' and 'a loose canon'. These are things that my actual behaviour doesn't provide any evidence for at all! He only thinks these things of me when we discuss the reasons for the behaviour he previously approved of and even praised in me!!

I don't think the clashes between us are down to NT vs SJ, but more NP vs SJ. When it comes to the T part, we seldom disagree on anything.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by substitute
    I'm not sure about SJ, but ST and NT yes, have many things in common. Valuing logic and reason, things making sense, being the main common ground there.
    I agree with substitute here. An ISTJ will seem much more like an NT than an ESFJ, for instance.
    All the XXTJ types are stubborn sonuvabitches for sure!

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah it's difficult to say what values an NT and SJ would share because I find the groupings of the temperaments quite arbitrary anyway... like I say, I can think of plenty of values STJ's share, but it's more on the T front than anything else - plain speaking, saying what you mean, being reasonable, being objective, avoiding emotional outbursts/pleas, making sense, judging things as good/bad/desirable/undesirable by usefulness and practicality as opposed to "how they make you feel"... but these things wouldn't be as deeply shared between an NT and SFJ.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I think the intelligences Keirsey use are arbitrary as well because one can be equally skillful at strategy and logistics AND one can be equally skillful at diplomacy and tactics.

They are not opposites.
    However, I agree with the idea that all Guardians will be skillful at logistics, all Rationals will be skillful at strategy, etc...

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I think the intelligences Keirsey use are arbitrary as well because one can be equally skillful at strategy and logistics AND one can be equally skillful at diplomacy and tactics.

They are not opposites.
    However, I agree with the idea that all Guardians will be skillful at logistics, all Rationals will be skillful at strategy, etc...
    I tend to see it from this point of view. Diplomacy is more about finding common ground of two opposing systems, while tactics are about finding weak spots in another system. Logistics are about ressource managment, for example, while strategy is maximizing the effort in one direction to reach a goal; what can mean to sacrifice ressources and to speculate.

---

My ISTJ homie and I like to have harmony and predictable outcomes, when we meet in our circle of friends. We both value logic above all else and while he tends to be realistic, I tend to be idealistic. I would say I trust him until this point, where I know he would betray me. Maybe I am doing him wrong in thinking so, but he is a very private man and I am not sure about his intentions everytime, so I try to keep him at safe distance.

But for the simple going out on weekends having a beer marathon, he is really a great guy. He is easy going and has his basics rules, like "I would never drink dutch beer" but with that everybody can perfectly go along. In our group I accepted him as the boss and leader, because he is steady and everyone can rely on him.

We get along on those weekend trips pretty well, until I am drunk and launch one of my crusades . But he is used to it, as he saies, by now
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Well, theoretically. SJs and NTs have a focus on structure, while SPs and NF have a focus on motive.

I am not entirely sure how that translates to reality.

But in my interpretation of the theory (stereotypes)...

SJs have a focus on roles, responsibilities, duties, etc. NTs have a focus on principles, models, and truths. Both these create a focus on what may be called "structure" when looking at how people interact, and how the "ought" to interact.

SPs focus on courage, impact, impression, action, etc. while NFs focus on significance and meaning. Both these create a focus on what may be called "motive" when looking at how people interact, and how they "ought" to interact.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    This may sound a bit farfetched, but I know that there are some.

For instance, I've noticed that my INTP dad and I both tend to put off really important things like sleep in order to do more work. We both tend to think sleep isn't nearly as important as getting that LAST THING DONE... and then that last thing turns into ten last things, and it's four in the morning and there you are.

What do you guys think?
    To add more "meat" to what I am saying. This would be a good example of overriding personal motives in submission to duty, or some principle. SJs don't want to shirk their duties or let people down, while NTs know the objective consequences while neglecting the personal ones.

Granted, there are likely workaholics of all types, but theoretically, SPs would overwork due to a constant crisis situation, and NFs over a need to feel significant.

I think we all share a bit of the motives for each temperament.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

My ISFJ wife and I are both very low drama ... most of the time. We both value a stable home life that is free of conflict. The fact that we're both introverts also helps us give each other the alone time that both need.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Lots of interesting responses here. Subs, I am very inclined to agree with everything you said, because I have had many similar experiences with my INTJ and ENTP friends. You're right, the problem or disconnect comes when we start talking about truth and the different motivations for our beliefs. My INTJ friend gets really hung up on epistomology and things of that nature, when really, I don't heavily concern myself with such things because I feel that for the most part I have those things worked out to the point where I am content and it all makes sense...he however, is not. Same with my ENTP friend...it's the motivations thing all over again...we just don't see eye to eye there.

It really is amazing though, because I get along with both of them remarkably well and they are 2 of my most favorite people in the world. So long as the INTJ and I don't talk about motivations and stuff, on the outside you'd think we are the same person. We pretty much enjoy the same hobbies, our tv/movie watching partterns are very similar, we're both easy-going, logical, straitforward, need alone time and reading time, we both share dry, sarcastic humor, and we both have perfectionistic tendencies. I feel there's lots of common ground we share, it's just our thought processes are very different.

One of the funniest debates/arguments I've ever had with him was on something we both concluded the same on, but did not agree on the process to get there. After awhile of back-and-forth debate I was just like, "Can we just agree to agree, and leave it at that?" :rolleyes2: