User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: Ask an ISFJ

  1. #1
    Sweet Summer Dik Dik yama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe
    Posts
    7,693

    Default Ask an ISFJ

    All ISFJs are welcome to answer. Please don't let me be the only one because I'm hardly the archetype of an ISFJ.

    Questions about making you a sandwich will be aggressively ignored.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

    not a type description

  2. #2
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,587

    Default

    How do you experience your sense of the past and future? Do you have clarity of memory, nostalgia, dreams about the future? I'm having a little trouble wording my question, but I understand that Si and Ni have time orientations towards past and future, although both plan things out. It may be that Si enables more accurate memory than the other functions, so I was wondering if you experience Si as a strength for memories, etc.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

    I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

  3. #3
    Musician Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    7,234

    Default

    What about the process of a sandwich?

  4. #4
    Marshmallow Heart thepink-cloakedninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    269 sp/sx
    Posts
    844

    Default

    Do you hold onto grudges? What's your sense of humor like? Do you feel appreciated by the people in your life?
    Skinny people are easier to kidnap
    Stay safe
    Eat cheesecake
    Likes Pinwheel94 liked this post

  5. #5
    Sweet Summer Dik Dik yama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe
    Posts
    7,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labyrinthine View Post
    How do you experience your sense of the past and future? Do you have clarity of memory, nostalgia, dreams about the future? I'm having a little trouble wording my question, but I understand that Si and Ni have time orientations towards past and future, although both plan things out. It may be that Si enables more accurate memory than the other functions, so I was wondering if you experience Si as a strength for memories, etc.
    I don't see myself as being fixated on the past, and I definitely don't live in the future. The present is where I reside and focus all of my attention. However, the past has shaped my experience and thus influences my decisions in the present. ("I won't talk to that person because that person was an asshole to me in elementary school.")

    Honestly, I have a shitty memory. I remember almost nothing about my childhood. I don't remember what I did last week. After a couple days, everything gets purged from my mind unless it's really important and made an impact on me somehow. What I do remember, though, I remember accurately; I wouldn't say detailed in the visual sense (everything in my imagination looks kind of fuzzy and vague when visualized), just detailed in events. I'm not nostalgic (lower Si imo) as much as I am sentimental (higher Si imo--and which is different from nostalgia). This sentimentality is rather closed off though--well, I am a person am rather closed off--so some people see it and some people don't. My ENFP mother and INTP sister have accused me of "having no sentimentality" because I didn't want to do something I saw as useless (walk when I graduate from college). However, my choice not to walk at graduation is because, from my knowledge of high school graduation, graduation ceremonies as boring as fuck and a waste of time because I don't know anyone at my current school. I don't see this at all as not being sentimental. Basically, nostalgia is like hearing that one song you danced to at prom and having a "moment". Sentimentality is a complete re-experience of past events in the present. Where was I going with this again? Oh yeah, so I'm not nostalgic as much as I am sentimental but unless people are close to me and I've let my barriers down around them (none of you would recognize me irl I'm so different) they don't even see that sentimentality. Sentimentality to me is a very private thing, too.

    I don't have any dreams or goals for the future. I don't think about the future at all. The present will lead to the future so I focus on this. If I try to plan out my life it just stresses me out. The plans would just get fucked up anyway when things inevitably come up. I don't even have a vague end goal.

    Honestly though, memory, sentimentality and nostalgia are not what Si is; Si is about archetypes. I think I made a post somewhere else about what I mean by that but I'm too lazy to find is so I will just try to re-explain it.

    Si creates archetypes from personal experience and compares what it faces in the present to that archetype. This archetype is solid, unchanging, completely static; if archetypes could change or be altered and re-defined, then there is literally no point to there being an archetype. This is why Si doms may have a reputation for being stubborn or "stuck in their ways" depending on the archetype.

    For example:

    One Si dom's archetype of a chair is a seat that has legs and a back. Imagine this Si dom sees a barstool and someone calls it a chair. They argue with that perosn. No, it's NOT a chair. It doesn't have a back and all chairs have seats, legs, and backs. This item does not qualify as a chair because it does not meet a chair's archetypal qualities.

    BUT, unlike Ni (which I think it more about universal archetypes), Si's archetypes, being based completely on past experience, are unique to the individual. One Si type's archetype may not match another's.

    Let's imagine the person the Si dom from the argument above was arguing with--the one who called a barstool a chair. Maybe this person is also an Si dom, but their archetype of a chair looks different; to them, a chair need only have a seat and legs. Thus, a barstool qualifies as a chair to them, but not to the first Si dom. And neither of them are going to change their minds about who's right, ever. Because archetypes do not, cannot change, or else they lose all meaning.


    ...This ended up being longer than I expected. Sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    What about the process of a sandwich?
    Bread. Mayo. Cheese. Lettuce. Bread. Done.

    Quote Originally Posted by thepink-cloakedninja View Post
    Do you hold onto grudges? What's your sense of humor like? Do you feel appreciated by the people in your life?
    I'm really bad at holding grudges. In the heat of the moment I feel like I'm going to have a grudge forever, but end up actually being the one to approach the person who angered me to resolve things, because I don't want to lose them. That is, depending on what they did and how important they are to me.

    I have many senses of humor. Stupid humor. Morbid humor. But mostly, inside joke kind of humor. There's a specific humor dynamic between ISxJs that's hard to describe but it's really fun.

    And no, no one expresses appreciation to me so if they do appreciate me, I do not know it or feel it. I don't really do anything worth appreciating anyway, not at this point in my life where all I'm doing is going to school and living at home for free.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

    not a type description

  6. #6
    Cyber Strider Korvinagor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Posts
    914

    Default

    Would you say you have an artistic or creative side to you? The idea that intuition is the sole proprietor of creativity is silly to me - apparently, Tolkien was an ISTJ.

    Also, why the username 'Yamato Nadeshiko'? It certainly conjures up the stereotype of an ISFJ: demureness and civility hiding a core of steel. Or perhaps that was the point...?

  7. #7
    Member Unionruler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    2 so/sp
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korvinagor View Post
    Would you say you have an artistic or creative side to you? The idea that intuition is the sole proprietor of creativity is silly to me - apparently, Tolkien was an ISTJ.
    Yes. I:

    • Arrange my own covers of songs I like on piano
    • Create templates and processes for clients as a consultant
    • Co-authored two books in which I had to make up many case studies of problems (beyond 101 level) company directors face

    I come from Singapore's education system which stifles creativity and churns out productive conformists. Hence nothing to say that ISFJs can't be creative too.
    Likes Korvinagor, thepink-cloakedninja liked this post

  8. #8
    Nyarlathotep ESFJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thepink-cloakedninja View Post
    Do you hold onto grudges? What's your sense of humor like? Do you feel appreciated by the people in your life?
    Sometimes. Indescribable. I make them appreciate me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korvinagor View Post
    Would you say you have an artistic or creative side to you? The idea that intuition is the sole proprietor of creativity is silly to me - apparently, Tolkien was an ISTJ.

    Also, why the username 'Yamato Nadeshiko'? It certainly conjures up the stereotype of an ISFJ: demureness and civility hiding a core of steel. Or perhaps that was the point...?
    Yes. Highlander was taken.
    In that which is night to all things, therein the self-subjugated remains awake; but where all else is awake, that is night for the knower of the self.

  9. #9
    Sweet Summer Dik Dik yama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe
    Posts
    7,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korvinagor View Post
    Also, why the username 'Yamato Nadeshiko'? It certainly conjures up the stereotype of an ISFJ: demureness and civility hiding a core of steel. Or perhaps that was the point...?
    Exactly. It's my way of poking fun at the steretypes... because despite being an ISFJ I don't fit that image at all. :p
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

    not a type description
    Likes Korvinagor liked this post

  10. #10
    Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx
    Socionics
    INTp None
    Posts
    117

    Default

    How do you react to corny jokes?
    For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISFJ] Ask an ISFJ
    By amazonian in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2015, 11:52 PM
  2. [ISFJ] Ask an ISFJ 1.0!
    By Giggly in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 346
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 05:25 AM
  3. [ISFJ] Rant about an ISFJ male
    By Anna212 in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 02:43 PM
  4. [ISFJ] How to ask an ISFJ out?
    By Grungemouse in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
  5. [ISFJ] Attempt at an ISFJ profile?
    By chimpuloc in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO