• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Ask an ISTJ Anything!

Unionruler

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How could one distinguish between when an ISTJ does something:

• Reluctantly as a social obligation; and
  • Enthusiastically or just normally in the course of duty

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Unionruler said:

Reluctantly as a social obligation; and
Enthusiastically or just normally in the course of duty

I've been to several weddings that I didn't want to attend but felt obligated to; I've been to several lunches/dinners with relatives that I didn't mind and I doubt that you could tell the difference. I'm quiet and not very facially expressive. Of course, if someone asks, I'll say I had a great time because I don't want to upset anyone on their special night.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream

• Reluctantly as a social obligation; and
  • Enthusiastically or just normally in the course of duty
...ISTJs have clear principles, but also tend to be very loyal (to either individuals or causes), and pragmatic about it. To determine whether or not you are one of those that they really like (therefore, they're enthusiastic about your wedding, for instance), see if you can also answer the question "would they help [person/cause] bury a body if it serves a practical purpose for [said person/cause]?"

If they would, they're enthusiastic about it.

(This is kinda a joke. I don't doubt there are ISTJs who would under no circumstances bury a body for anybody.)

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What do you think some unsual ISTJ enneagram combos woudl look like. Below Ill list some.

2w3
7w6
4w3

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
What do you think some unsual ISTJ enneagram combos woudl look like. Below Ill list some.

2w3
7w6
4w3

4w3 sounds like the kind of guy who's incredibly quiet, but always the backbone of whatever small group of friends he has in a counterculture, holds down a job and somehow is even popular, but comes moshing at a pit or something during the weekend. and hypercompetent, or at least tries to be

there's a istj 7e thread here, if you're interested in reading.

Ragù

MBTI Type
INFP
What does it mean to be istj? How can i know if i am one?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What does it mean to be istj? How can i know if i am one?

This is way too general of question, look up general mbti stuff, and maybe look up yamato's Si thread in the general mbti question, or ask a more specific question.

Lloyd

Ain Soph Aur
MBTI Type
INFP
Instinctual Variant
sx
Can you describe your relationship about INTJs?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

hmm well I say I tend to get along with the intjs I have met ( at least the people I have identified as intj). We tend to argue a lot, but it's fun.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream

Te alpha wannabes. Nobody asked for that commonsensical Te info and yet it is offered freely and willingly, like something that makes them superior...... Oh and that tert Fi is super annoying when they turn it into a battle of "who's morally superior". Like. Nobody asked, Peter. I know you don't give a shit about humans, just animals. And by humans that includes me.

...But that's only about one vegan INTJ who exhibits all the traits of a covert narcissist that I have to deal with daily. ...And yes, I shouldn't have generalised, but I did it because it was cathartic. :p (Sorry, other INTJs.)

I think with INTJs it depends on how well you get to know them and what kind of person they are. The unfortunate part of INTJs is that it's so stereotyped that a lot of 'holier than thou' people associate themselves with it.

When INTJs actually aren't assholes, though (I honestly don't care if they mistype themselves at some point, it's on them, not me, to type them, though I will probably proof the idea), they're great for offering alternative insights especially about others behaviour, and Te-Fi usually can agree on some level, assuming a degree of similarity and understanding on the way the world works. (Otherwise you go back to the first paragraph, where it becomes a battle of ego, and they're definitely going to win the ego thing because of how Ni interacts with Fi.)

Ni is pretty much Si's blind spot, and vice versa. It's about communication, and the quality of exchange offered depends on the individual.

But anyway, I seem to attract quite a few at the moment.

DB968

Ginger Snap
Have any of you mistyped before settling for istj?

Why did you mistype?

How an istj would mistype if they had been living under stress for a long time? Or depression?

Thank you.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Have any of you mistyped before settling for istj?

Why did you mistype?

How an istj would mistype if they had been living under stress for a long time? Or depression?

Thank you.

First, third and fourth question:
I always type as INTP or ISTP based on depression/anxiety variety of the day. Would come across as some XNFP type, probably.

Second question:
Because the tests and description heavily skew towards N types. I'm not dumb as a rock, or a blind rule-follower, so I don't really get typed as ISTJ except in functional tests, and even then it's something like Si-Ti-Fi, not Si-Te. I've heard somewhere that Si-Te and Ni-Te can basically work kinda like Ti, except unlike true Ti it can't work with ideas that don't already exist. I'm not sure what to make of that because when I read it it was unsourced, but it sounds reasonable and plausible; it seems unlikely that people of some intelligence only use some kind of deductive or inductive reasoning, when sometimes it is necessary to use both.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I have a question... Do ISTJs have the capability of being very affectionate with their children? And of showing strong emotion at certain moments? Is there ever moodiness present in this type: low-level anger/depression/irritability?

Thanks

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Yes, I have a question... Do ISTJs have the capability of being very affectionate with their children? And of showing strong emotion at certain moments? Is there ever moodiness present in this type: low-level anger/depression/irritability?

Thanks

Possible depending on person, but it's a different feeling from Fe users.

Tert Fi emotion is strong, but probably not something more discernable to people with higher Fi or Fe. You can probably tell if you're used to reading the IXTJ. A lot of our emotions can come across as 'logical' or 'get down to business and just do things' because it's Te and introverted Feeling is not as... contagious?????? ??? as Fe, IMO. I would say this seems applicable to INTJs from observation, as well; deep feelings, strong sense of personal values, but not necessarily expressive.

Hmmmmmm moodiness: also yes. Usually happens like Ne grips and Si-Fi loops. Fi will seem a lot more pronounced than Te, and there'd be a lot of guesswork and intuiting.

DB968

Ginger Snap
First, third and fourth question:
I always type as INTP or ISTP based on depression/anxiety variety of the day. Would come across as some XNFP type, probably.

Second question:
Because the tests and description heavily skew towards N types. I'm not dumb as a rock, or a blind rule-follower, so I don't really get typed as ISTJ except in functional tests, and even then it's something like Si-Ti-Fi, not Si-Te. I've heard somewhere that Si-Te and Ni-Te can basically work kinda like Ti, except unlike true Ti it can't work with ideas that don't already exist. I'm not sure what to make of that because when I read it it was unsourced, but it sounds reasonable and plausible; it seems unlikely that people of some intelligence only use some kind of deductive or inductive reasoning, when sometimes it is necessary to use both.

Thank you very much, and I agree, I believe that an individual uses functions or patterns, that are more natural to them, but can adapt more than a stack of functions in a certain order. I don't like that much the descriptions either. The probable istjs I've known, and there aren't that many, do not fit the profile, however they used Si and it was very thinking for themselves, and not very much following.

Lloyd

Ain Soph Aur
MBTI Type
INFP
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you talk about how you appreciate the appearance of attractive people?