User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default are ISFJ's squeamish?

My ISFJ sister lives in North Carolina. We correspond by e-mail, mostly. Yesterday I went out to a nature reserve and took lots of pictures of all the different kinds of mushrooms they have there (and though I say it myself, the pics aren't half bad). I sent her the link to my Flickr so she could have a browse and she wrote back:

"Euw, looking at mushrooms makes me want to puke. Gross."

I laughed and said sis, you've always been squeamish, I remember a time when I mentioned the word 'spleen' in passing in a sentence and you pushed your dinner plate away and blamed me for 'making' you not be able to eat it.

She answered,

"I'm not that bad anymore, but if I think about what I'm eating (meat-wise) I totally can't eat it anymore. That's why I have to have steaks cooked at least medium well and hate handling raw chicken.
    I'm also very careful about what I eat around J after he has tricked me into eating rabbit and deer and probably squirrel too, who knows with that red neck!!!!
    I like my food to look nice and B makes fun of me all the time because whenever I order a sandwich I have to dismantle and rebuild it so it looks pretty and the fillings are distributed evenly. I hate when there's a giant mound of turkey in the middle and the tomatoes falling out and the cheese is all on one side etc. Ok so maybe I'm a little OCD, but I'm ok with that! Probably why I have a miniature hand sanitizer clipped onto my handbag too. I hate germs, euwwyyyy!"

And I'm thinking, is this the beginning warning signs of a person en route to developing the life-taking-over kind of OCD that I'm familiar with in another SJ friend of mine?

I just find it a bit worrying, considering that this girl grew up on a farm like I did and when we were kids we used to play with mud and bugs and dead rodents caught by the cats, and y'know... she didn't develop this squeamishness until her late teens... I wonder what it's all about??
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INXP

I've known a few ISFJs well both personally, and in the workplace. I'd say they are sometimes squeamish, and usually about as squeamish as a typical feeling type.. but not as squeamish as a cold impersonal INTP type.

2 out of 3 (personal experience, so ymmv) don't like the sight of blood.

MBTI
    ENTP

yeah I'm wondering, is it just typical T thinking to say "well if you'll eat a cow why not a squirrel? dammit either don't eat meat at all or base your choice on flavour or something, not just whether it has a cute face or not ffs!"?

just the miniature hand sanitizer and the 'I hate germs!' thing makes me sorta go on red alert for OCD... I could understand it if she ever had occasion to think her hands were 'unclean' but since she works the kind of job that, if I worked it, I'd consider I could get away without showering for a week, and I really can't see any logical or scientific need for sanitizing her hands 'on the move' like that... hmmm...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Dali

My ISFJ close pal also has a very low tolerance for what he considers disgusting stuff. Looks away during whole sections of some movies, shushes us or walks away when we discuss stuff he considers nauseating... just a low tolerance for things that I might consider normal.

Naturally, I taunt him a lot.

He has the pottiest mouth of anyone I know though so taunting him comes with its (verbal revenge) hazards.

The only really squeamish ones I know are ENFP, ESFP, and ESFJ. Gotta be an E-thing

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

My ISFJ mom can deal with all varieties of blood and guts and has spent some time working in the E.R.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

My ISFJ mom is very squeamish, to the point that we can't watch any form of gory movie while she's there. I know another ISFJ, however, that is as morbidly non-squeamish as I am.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISFJ

This topic screams at me. I changed my major from medical lab sciences to nutrition just recently for the fear of having to deal with morbid and exotic disease after disease. Even certain smells set me off and even cause me to vomit along with just normal anxiety inducing situations. Chalk it up to the possibility that I'm a bit extreme but I think Si followed by Fe makes for the worst when dealing with any sort of primal fear. Can possibly focus overly on the formation of emotions provided from archetypal fearful scenes.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

The ISFJ friend I know finds the sight of salad cream and butter touching in a sandwich highly disturbing.

But proving Geoff's theory, I don't like the sight of blood either. Despite being a devout scab-picker.
    Um, yeah.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    And I'm thinking, is this the beginning warning signs of a person en route to developing the life-taking-over kind of OCD that I'm familiar with in another SJ friend of mine?
    Really good point!