User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

The ever so open question of "tell me about yourself" in formal settings.

LETS JUST GET TO WORK!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    When I'm in a caffeteria I will deliberately choose a table where nobody is sitting so that I can eat quietly and happily. Myself, my food and my thoughts....
    Then somebody joins me, and another, and another and with each addition I become more uncomfortable and anxious! The worst is when someone plonks themself down right across from you so that it is impossible to look up without looking into their face, OH, THE TORTURE OF IT ALL! I want to take my plate and run for the hills, but I don't. Instead I keep my head down and chew for dear life. By now I'm so nervous and aware of everyone at the table that I don't even taste the food and am entertaining the most hostile thoughts towards the poor human beings who are innocently eating their food.
    I seem calm but it looks very much like this inside::steam:
    i dont kno if anyone advised this.....but why dont u just stack a bunch of papers on the table around uso u create a bubble ....maybe a books, newspaper and just look at the paper while eating as if ur looking intently and reading and using alllll of them at the same time....then if someone asks "is this seat taken" (where ur papers are) just say " im sorry but i need the space" or something to that extent.

also maybe u shouldnt feel so uncomfortable with the people at your table seeing as it may be the only seats left open for them.
    if its a choice of standing and eating or sitting with one or a few random people, id think most people would choose the table....unless its in the UK(?)

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    What... you mean actual strangers come and sit at your table?

Woah. I've gotta move to where you live. That would NEVER happen in the UK. You'd have say, 10 tables in a cafe, each with one person sitting at them. A new customer walks in and walks out again - "no room".

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Yeah, I figure in the bathroom it's pretty easy to tell who's introverted and who's extroverted. We introverts head to the stalls even when we're not going #2...
    I don't know about that. I have no problems with that. The stall is too much work, what with having to pull your pants down and all. I've got better things to do.

People I know coming up unexpectedly throws me.

MBTI
    ISTJ

One of my least favorite situations is when anyone tries to make pointless conversation.

I dont know what small-talk is, I dont know how to "make" it, and if I dont have a vested interest in the conversation I would prefer that we all enjoy the silence as it so rightly deserves.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    What a sad truth.
    not sad - good!

I was in the hairdressers today getting colour done which takes along time - out of the corner of my eye I spotted an old friend who is really introverted - she was reading -like me and I got the feeling she'd seen me but wasnt letting on. We both read and then when she was going to leave she popped over and said hello and wished me happy new year -lovely. How annoying would it have been and uncomfortable to sit and make small talk whilst somebody pokes about with your hair in a noisy salon
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

When I'm in a caffeteria I will deliberately choose a table where nobody is sitting so that I can eat quietly and happily. Myself, my food and my thoughts....
    Then somebody joins me, and another, and another and with each addition I become more uncomfortable and anxious! The worst is when someone plonks themself down right across from you so that it is impossible to look up without looking into their face, OH, THE TORTURE OF IT ALL! I want to take my plate and run for the hills, but I don't. Instead I keep my head down and chew for dear life. By now I'm so nervous and aware of everyone at the table that I don't even taste the food and am entertaining the most hostile thoughts towards the poor human beings who are innocently eating their food.
    Yes yes yes I totally get this. I read when I eat. ANYTIME I eat. It's the way I have always been but it's caused significant friction at points in my life. I don't want anyone sitting with me, certainly not just plopping down at my table and starting a conversation. The reading material helps that but even without I would not be comfortable with it.

I work in an office of 10. Most of them eat in the conference room every day. We get a paid hour for lunch so I take full advantage by leaving the office. I work in a mall so the choices are huge. I can shop if I wish, just walk..whatever. I like being by myself for lunch. I browse the bookstore, walk over to the food court and relax. The problem is that the people in my office think I am blowing them off and don't want to lunch with them, don't like them and blah blah blah. Which is partially true. It's mostly women and frankly, they have the same conversations every day and I don't want to hear it. Try as I might I can't impress upon them my real need for recharge time during lunch. Uggghhh.

I have told people to go away when they have attempted to sit with me although I'm always polite about it. Don't speak. Please..just..goooooo.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISTJ

weddings! THE HORROR of going to weddings without a date! It is VERY awkward and uncomfortable when you don't know anyone. In October, not only do I have to GO to a wedding, I have to be IN the wedding! Perhaps I will have to resort to bribery to get a date because Iam NOT going alone! I dread having to walk down the isle arm in arm with some married woman I don't even know!

(And yes, Im kidding about the bribery )
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I actually prefer to go alone. Easier to disappear.

I hate when getting a haircut, the barber tries to talk to me. Just cut my hair please, and don't make a mistake.

MASTER OF APATHY AND PURPLE SIGNATURES

MBTI
    I

You should just eat quickly and if they talked to you, say you have to go somewhere, and then get up to leave. If they didn't talk to you, just eat quickly and get up to leave. You don't have to tolerate an uncomfortable situation if you don't want to.