• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Are many SJ's ever on the left?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It could be both. We'd need to see statistics to really know if trends exist. I think they do.

As I said, there may be correlations saying SJs are more likely to reflect parents' views than other types, though even with statistics, a correlation is nothing more than a correlation and there will always be individuals who don't fit.

I wonder if anyone's ever done or is interested in doing some sort of research about this.

Also, American youth may be very different from youths in other cultures.

Yes, time period matters just as much as location.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yamato Nadeshiko said:
though even with statistics, a correlation is nothing more than a correlation and there will always be individuals who don't fit.

A strong correlation would indicate differences in thinking, information processing, critical thinking, etc. For example, I suspect that most Monty Python fans are INTPs (a strong correlation). This means that there is something about Monty Python routines that fascinate the INTP but has zero appeal to SJs.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A strong correlation would indicate differences in thinking, information processing, critical thinking, etc. For example, I suspect that most Monty Python fans are INTPs (a strong correlation). This means that there is something about Monty Python routines that fascinate the INTP but has zero appeal to SJs.

Really? I like Monty Python. :(

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yamato Nadeshiko said:
Really? I like Monty Python.

Nothing wrong with liking Monty Python, but you don't memorize their routines do you?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nothing wrong with a right-leaning SJ.

I'm moderate myself. Left on some things, right on other things.

What matters is balance in a national and global perspective.

If Truth only existed in a single dimension, diversity wouldn't exist.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nothing wrong with liking Monty Python, but you don't memorize their routines do you?

Well no, but then again I don't really bother taking the time to memorize anything. Unless it involves like, love live: school idol festival or pokemon. :laugh:

Nothing wrong with a right-leaning SJ.

I'm moderate myself. Left on some things, right on other things.

What matters is balance in a national and global perspective.

Of course, I'm not saying one view is better than the other. Just that to think there are no left-leaning SJs is wrong and can lead to mistypes. (Not accusing you of doing this, just saying for the record). :p

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well no, but then again I don't really bother taking the time to memorize anything. Unless it involves like, love live: school idol festival or pokemon. :laugh:

Of course, I'm not saying one view is better than the other. Just that to think there are no left-leaning SJs is wrong and can lead to mistypes. (Not accusing you of doing this, just saying for the record). :p

Ever since I started playing Pokemon red and blue (I was in 1st grade). I memorized all 151 Pokemon. (Well 150 but the additional wasn't too hard to memorize just subtract the -two)

Oh no I didn't think it was your intention. But I feel this forum is very pulled to the left overall making it seem conservatives are dead wrong like as if it were a fact rather than an opinion. (Just my take on it. :p)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
SJs don't always side with their parents on politics, but the will use their experiences to decide which party they believe is better. I think this is more about information availability. Like the SJ is from a conservative family/environment then they will most likely understand it more. Not to mention hearing people bash liberals. But SJs from a conservative environment can still be liberal if they are presented with the facts (or opinions they mistook as facts), and decide that they agree with it more. Most will learn about politics from the internet *cough tumblr cough*, and is one of the main reason why young people deviate from their parents. It doesn't necessarily mean they will make an educated decision though.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, but usually they are disenfranchised people like women or minorities

You don't have to be in one of those categories to be a liberal SJ at all, not do you have to be privileged to be a conservative SJ, lol

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
SJs usually like to be a part of power structures unless they feel they are on the outside of them

Yeahhhh... that's actually a harmful SJ stereotype

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
SJs usually like to be a part of power structures unless they feel they are on the outside of them
SJs usually like to be a part of power structures unless those power structures are unjust and/or counterproductive.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Exactly. That's why it's so hard to budge.

You are familiar with my posts. I do not blithely post "S is stupid" sentiments.

Everyone has limitations, what differs is how those limitations apply.

S types that I know are definitely not stupid, but they can be very very literal. As long as I stay with in very literal constraints, I can talk about very complicated things with Si types. Once I start going into my more native Ni-style hand-wavy explanations, communication falters. It's how I can tell who is what type, based on what particular communication style I need to adopt to communicate clearly.

Si types can have a "very very big box", if you will, and be experts and even masters of their particular intellectual domain. But due to being concrete, that domain is static, and it's difficult to introduce new ideas that don't fit into that domain.

There is NOTHING wrong with that. It has strengths and weaknesses, but there is nothing wrong, and these kinds of experts are essential to our society. They're also mostly invisible: the kind of people who understand how engines work, or sewers work, and keep track of all the details that keep us from dying due to engines exploding or water being contaminated.

Ni types tend to be experts in more abstract domains (like math and physics), instead of concrete domains. General principles that work universally, not concrete things like engines and sewers that have lots of specific details that, if ignored, result in very bad things happening. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

When I offer vague generalities such as "inside the box" and "outside the box", I'm not positing "stupid" vs "smart" but one set of strengths/weaknesses vs another.

Yes. What I have noticed is that many SJ types are quite smart but for me to get my point across, I always have to translate what I want to say into how it relates to their box... or they tune me out or go on rants about how stupid it is (especially XSTJs).

In fact, I was quite taken aback by my ISTJ friend when I recommended that book you were reading, "The Riteous Mind". He is always going about how can other people have such ridiculous, illogical viewpoints so I thought the book might give a different perspective. The general message behind his response was, "morality is subjective. You and others use your mental energy on pointless things.. The answer is obvious to me."

My ESFJ dad will just flat out ignore me if I give him any hint of "hypothetical or philosophical talk... even anything light-hearted.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yes. What I have noticed is that many SJ types are quite smart but for me to get my point across, I always have to translate what I want to say into how it relates to their box... or they tune me out or go on rants about how stupid it is (especially XSTJs).

In fact, I was quite taken aback by my ISTJ friend when I recommended that book you were reading, "The Riteous Mind". He is always going about how can other people have such ridiculous, illogical viewpoints so I thought the book might give a different perspective. The general message behind his response was, "morality is subjective. You and others use your mental energy on pointless things.. The answer is obvious to me."

My ESFJ dad will just flat out ignore me if I give him any hint of "hypothetical or philosophical talk... even anything light-hearted.

I could be wrong but this could be more of a "uneducated thing" than "SJ thing".

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could be wrong but this could be more of a "uneducated thing" than "SJ thing".

No, I was not implying "uneducated", these two people would just prefer things to be explained in applicable, plain English... rather than waste time on things that they don't view to have much impact in the real-world.

My dad went to one of most elite military academies in the world and loves to read about history and theology. My friend loves to read about science, technology, finance, business but tends to get irritated with metaphysics, religion, morals, psychology/relationships because he deems them to subjective, and therefore, a waste of time and unapplicable.

In short, a form of "mental masturbation" with no real purpose.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
No, I was not implying "uneducated", these two people would just prefer things to be explained in applicable, plain English... rather than waste time on things that they don't view to have much impact in the real-world.

My dad went to one of most elite military academies in the world and loves to read about history and theology. My friend loves to read about science, technology, finance, business but tends to get irritated with metaphysics, religion, morals, psychology/relationships because he deems them to subjective, and therefore, a waste of time and unapplicable.

In short, a form of "mental masturbation" with no real purpose.

I have counted in that as well.
Ability to suck in the data and being educated are two different things in my opinion. (in my book)