• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] How Sentimental Are You?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Si is associated with being sentimental and I wanted to know if any of you fit this stereotype.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am for sure. I don't think I've lived through a whole hour* in my life without thinking about something in a nostalgic/sentimental sense. Except maybe when I'm sleeping.

For example, I have this shrine to cute things in my room, and I often find myself looking at it and sighing and thinking, "Oh, I remember that day at the state fair when my sister won me that Hello Kitty..." or "Oh, that day at the festival where I bought that vaporeon was so fun..."

It's also very hard for me to let go of things I'm attached to. I let go when I have to (otherwise I'd definitely become a hoarder lol), but even throwing away the jack o lantern after halloween makes me sad. :(

*this is an exaggeration

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You have a shrine? That's neat.

Do you think there are any benefits to being sentimental?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Eh, nothing that fits under an objective definition of beneficial. I find it beneficial to me subjectively as a person because I cherish the memories that I spend with others and because of my sentimentality I'm able to easily relive those memories vicariously through my assorted memorabilia, but other than that there's nothing realistically important about being able to look at an origami bunny and think "Omg yes I remember when I went to Taiyou Con and I made this with Friend A at that panel and we were having a hard time making it and then the panelist..." (and so on) except for the meaning you give to it yourself. Though I don't find it particularly negative either. Just something that's a part of me. :)

Sil

This is a test.
Very much so. It's one of my default modes when nothing is going on and I have time to relax. My Si amplifies past emotions to a level of intensity that current emotions don't have.

When I get sentimental it's a very strong experience, which I like. There's a rush to it.

ESTJ

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to be quite sentimental until my objective side decided to completely devalue everything I once felt connected to as if it were a weakness... I still am from time to time when I listen to certain music which lets me travel back to how I felt and thought at that moment or general time, but I rarely actually spend much time thinking about my past anymore. I see everything from a new perspective every time, without considering how I had been affected by it in the past. Sometimes I wish I could still feel like a child again when I come back to my grandparent's house, but all I feel is: This is a house. My grandparents live here. Cool.

No I can be sentimental, just not with anything visual for some reason. Sounds, smells, and textures can all bring me a sense of nostalgia, but my sight is usually completely objectified.

-Beatriz

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am very sentimental. Maybe more than I should. I cry easily, I'm easily hurt, it's hard for me to forget when people hurt me, I get too attached to people, criticism usually makes me feel bad... So, yeah, too sentimental. Sometimes it sucks.

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Sentimental? No. I'm just a plain cold productive square who cares about nothing but if things work the way they should.
I never had a father nor a mother to love. Haven't hugged another person in 2 years or so. Don't really remember how this love thing feels.
One thing that pisses me off though is when things don't go as planned. That can really get me on my nerves. When I have expectations, plans, goals I want to achieve and, despite working hard to achieve them, I fail. Aside from anger, frustration and the constant conflict between the desire to keep up trying or just quitting everything, I think I would feel the need to care for a family if I had one. Specially if I had a companion. I think I would treat her well, be kind, etc. But I'm just down to things more than people, really.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yes. For example, I'll go look up and purchase old TV series that I enjoyed as a kid. I made a delicious pumpkin bread in school in the 2nd grade and I'm still trying to track down the original recipe.

LavenderSoda

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am sentimental over objects and experiences, not people.

Unionruler

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sentimental over people. Also animals and tear-jerking stories to an extent.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
Sentimental - animals and children. And the elderly.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am sentimental yes.
Enough to make me cry over how people change my sentimental things... XD