User Tag List

123 Last

Default SJs, what is your attitude toward authority?

How do you guys feel about authority? Are you generally compliant? Do you ever go against authority? When or for what reason? Do you usually respect authority figures?

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Typically, yes. It's pretty easy to be compliant with authority figures. I don't like to make waves. I find that things usually go more smoothly if you just 'go with the flow' so to speak. I may not necessarily respect them, that's harder to earn. But I do an excellent job of faking it, because it makes life easier.

I had a manager who was pretty bitchy and mean with most people. She had a very, 'I'm the head bitch and I want everyone to know it' kind of complex. I had a few coworkers who had 'issues' with authority, and they would clash with her all the time. I think some view it as cowardice to swallow your pride and acquiesce to someone like that. They have a hard time letting her 'win' so to speak. I guess I look at it more like, "If you can't just smile, nod, and say 'sure thing boss', your ego might be as bad as hers." I don't have to agree with her management style to just go with it. And ultimately, pissing someone off who is higher in the food chain than you isn't really going to do you any favors in the long run.

That hold true as long as the authority figure's requests are reasonable and they're not downright abusive/disrespectful. But I find that when you're compliant with those kinds of people, they tend to be really fond of you and nicer to you than they are with the ones who are more pig-headed.

If it's an authority figure that I really do respect? I'll work my ass off for them (if it's a manager). I'll go out of my way for them. I'll give 120%, because I admire effective leaders.

I'm friendly and polite to police officers and such, even when I'm real mad because they just pulled me over, because it's usually well-deserved. (Patches has a lead-foot.)

It's very situational, of course. But the above holds true for most cases.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~
    Likes SD45T-2, jcloudz liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

I respect authority as long as that authority respects me and others. I'm generally a very agreeable person and I don't want any trouble, so I just naturally tend to follow authority without thinking about it. I could never, however, respect authority (or anyone for that matter) who does not show others any respect. Even in those situations, I don't really say anything to them or really go AGAINST them... I'm not really a conflict person. But I wouldn't respect them and I'd make sure everyone else knew why.

There are few things I like more (in a work environment) than getting along with the authority. Being friendly with them. Not for benefits or whatever, but just because I need to know they like me or it's hard for me to get anything done due to anxiety. I don't mind being micro-managed as long as they're sweet about it. Also, I was definitely the straight-A teacher's pet in school, and don't understand why people think that's a bad thing. Like, one time I forgot to bring a finished assignment to class and the teacher liked me so she said I could turn it in later. Awesome. Same teacher also let me work on my own instead of doing group projects (groups ALWAYS restrict me and she knew I'd do a perfectly fine--even BETTER--job on my own).

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I prefer that I be the authority. I don't mind authority if the policies and instructions are fair and logical. It'd suck if an irrational person were in charge.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I prefer there is authority and structure. Bad authority is better than no authority in most cases.

I do go against authority in cases where authority is plain wrong and consequences of not going against authority are bad. Or if authority is being practiced only because of authority. Respect the authority, with it comes great responsibility.

I do not want to go against authority publiclity, rather educate the person in authorative position behind closed door not to undermine their (or position's) authority.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

your resident asshole

@DreamBeliever

? How does one have an opinion on authority in general? An entirely democratic society would be nonfunctional. Authority is necessary for us to function.

But as far as having an opinion on it? Which authorities are we talking about here? Parents? Law enforcement? Professors? The president? I have different opinions on different authorities.

If we're being insanely general, I'm happy with authorities that don't impose on me and that give me the time of day when I have an opinion. Of course, the reality of it is far more complicated

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

My attitude toward authority is that I like to be the authority. As long as that is the case my attitude is 100% positive.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    My attitude toward authority is that I like to be the authority. As long as that is the case my attitude is 100% positive.
    I can agree on that myself. hehe

My personal opinion is that I hate authority. I hate be controlled, told what to do, or people having power over me. They're basically just a nuisance. I want to be free to do what what I want, how I want. I want to be able to make my own decisions & not have them dictated for me. Usually people in those positions are either power hungry, control freaks, or think they're smarter because they're older (which is horribly wrong). There's no way I would let rules be the guiding force in my life. Just wanted to know what your guys' opinions were, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    @DreamBeliever

? How does one have an opinion on authority in general? An entirely democratic society would be nonfunctional. Authority is necessary for us to function.

But as far as having an opinion on it? Which authorities are we talking about here? Parents? Law enforcement? Professors? The president? I have different opinions on different authorities.

If we're being insanely general, I'm happy with authorities that don't impose on me and that give me the time of day when I have an opinion. Of course, the reality of it is far more complicated
    Well, I definitely have a general opinion. Any & all of the above, I'd say.