• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs, what is your attitude toward authority?

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Authority is meant to be followed, not questioned. If you don't like authority you can pack your bags and start your own anarchist community just so you see how little time it will last. Rules exist to be followed, not questioned.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I normally do not have trouble following authority unless authority challenges some sentimental wisdom I have.

a perfect example here.
For a college class, I volunteered with a hospice agency and worked with a patient with memory problems. My coordinator told me after our initial meeting to not ask too many questions, since they cannot remember well, to use "small talk" like how's the weather, and feel free to bring the SAME things every week since they "won't remember anyway."

I have two siblings with autism, this deeply conflicted me. Just because someone doesn't respond as "normal", doesn't mean someone is not in there. The one thing I did do is not ask questions, but I brought new things each week and had real conversations with the patient. Turns out they occasionally had wisdom and one week even remembered me. I am glad I did the thing I did, rather than blindly obeying, though it did frighten me to disobey.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm usually fine with it if I think it's reasonable, capable, and intelligent. If there were know rules, murderers would be more common, and people owuld do much more stupid, dangerous things than they do now. However, I hate when I know better though, which happens more the older I get.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It really depends on the authority figure, to be honest. I'll follow rules if I agree with the reasoning behind them, but if I don't a lot of times I'll just do my own thing. I get along well authorities who are fair, approachable, and have decent communication skills. If the authority figure shows me appreciation where it's due, I'll try a lot harder for them. If they show me appreciation and need my help, I'll go above and beyond. I do poorly with grumpy authority figures who have lousy people skills and who try to take advantage of me.