User Tag List

First 12

Thread: SJand NJ issues

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Also, let me put in a plug for getting good at pessimistic (realistic) estimation. It really pays to give people the "bad" news upfront on how long something will take. Finishing a bit early is usually far preferable to taking much longer. One can't always estimate accurately (that's why it's an "estimate"), but it's an important skill to have.

People may not be thrilled to know they have to wait a while for a good result, but if you build up a track record of providing a good result on schedule, that's something that others can respect and appreciate over time.

Not having SOME number (even a somewhat squishy one) to use for planning will drive some people insane.
    Likes Ene, EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I'm pretty sure both of my supervisors are SJs. One might possibly be some variety of SP.

If I'm unsure how long something is going to take, I find that the best answer to keep them from bugging me every 5 minutes is to "guesstimate" a much longer completion time than it would probably take just to keep them from nipping at my heels. Of course then there is always the possibility they'll complain that it shouldn't take so long, but it makes me look better when I finish the task much earlier than promised.
    Likes EJCC, Ene, Tellenbach liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    Thanks, @Tellenbach but it doesn't work that way. I never know exactly how long one section will take me. It depends on a lot of variables that are beyond my control.
    I can just feel their frustration with this, I know it would drive me bananas (which is why I don't do jobs like yours). But, sometimes that's just the case I suppose. I second everything EJCC said, that might help smooth it over a little. Does your work ever have deadlines? Or are they just impatient?

Regardless of their frustration walking away mid-sentence is totally unacceptable. Definitely stand up for yourself and make sure they know that is not okay and that you deserve to be treated with respect.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes EJCC liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8

@EJCC and @Showbread Thank you both.

Our local school system received an enormous grant to implement a program known as Leader in Me. As a part of this program, a portion of the grant money goes to school environment and part of the stipulations are that they hire a professional artist to paint beautiful murals throughout out the building. I'm thrilled to be the chosen artist. However, the building is large and the surface I'm painting on is rough in that it is concrete block. I am faster than most artists when it comes right down to it. I'm very efficient for the results I produce.

I think my only real deadline is before school's out, so it just boils down to the fact that they are impatient. They want to be able to "brag" about how quickly our school jumped onboard and complied or something like that. I was supposed to have gotten a much earlier start, but due to red tape at the top where the superintendent felt the need to specify what kind of paint I should use [I had to wait on him to not only issue purchase orders but to actually send my principal to buy the paint] and maintenance schedules which consists of shutting the entire building down for a week, I was off to a late start from the get-go. Plus, I have the same work load as everyone else So, I'm painting on weekends, at nights, on holiday breaks and whenever I have a couple of hours to spare. Still, I think they were just disappointed that I didn't have the whole thing done by September and here it January and I'm still not finished.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    @EJCC and @Showbread Thank you both.

Our local school system received an enormous grant to implement a program known as Leader in Me. As a part of this program, a portion of the grant money goes to school environment and part of the stipulations are that they hire a professional artist to paint beautiful murals throughout out the building. I'm thrilled to be the chosen artist. However, the building is large and the surface I'm painting on is rough in that it is concrete block. I am faster than most artists when it comes right down to it. I'm very efficient for the results I produce.

I think my only real deadline is before school's out, so it just boils down to the fact that they are impatient. They want to be able to "brag" about how quickly our school jumped onboard and complied or something like that. I was supposed to have gotten a much earlier start, but due to red tape at the top where the superintendent felt the need to specify what kind of paint I should use [I had to wait on him to not only issue purchase orders but to actually send my principal to buy the paint] and maintenance schedules which consists of shutting the entire building down for a week, I was off to a late start from the get-go. Plus, I have the same work load as everyone else So, I'm painting on weekends, at nights, on holiday breaks and whenever I have a couple of hours to spare. Still, I think they were just disappointed that I didn't have the whole thing done by September and here it January and I'm still not finished.
    Ah, got it. Yeah, something like that is hard to accurately gage especially if you going to the best work possible, which it sounds like you are.

Keep us posted, and maybe add some pictures of your art when it's all done??
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Enneagram
    9w8

I will @Showbread thanks! I have some pics already of the portions I have done. I'll post them soon as I get a chance
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

Likes EJCC, Tellenbach liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8

Here are some photos of three sections that are nearly finished so far. They're fuzzy because they were taken with an ipad. mural balloons.jpgmural garden.jpgmural tree.jpg I have two more sections that about half done and two that I haven't started on yet.

Likes Seymour, Z Buck McFate, SD45T-2 liked this post