Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESFJ Manipulation

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ Array laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Question ESFJ Manipulation

So I've recently read stuff on some ESFJs being possibly manipulative at times, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and also if manipulation by an ESFJ would be easy to catch on to or be really subtle that you wouldn't pick up on it. Plus what would it look like if an ESFJ was trying to manipulate a person?

Of course it's subtle, otherwise it wouldn't be very successful. I've never dealt with an ESFJ manipulator but I think this is how it would work:

- being in touch with the emotions of those around them, they know what weaknesses to exploit.

- some Fe users like to please people. Pleasing people often involves faking feelings, and being able to do so is a minimum requirement to be a good manipulator.

- some people (don't know if it's type related) feel like everyone should do what they want them to do. FJs are ethical types and I've noticed some of them have this ability of turning *everything* into a moral matter. An unhealthy ESFJ might use it to get people to do what they want.

I guess it would look like "normal" emotional blackmail, and the manipulator may not even be aware that he is one.
    Likes laterlazer liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by laterlazer View Post
    So I've recently read stuff on some ESFJs being possibly manipulative at times, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and also if manipulation by an ESFJ would be easy to catch on to or be really subtle that you wouldn't pick up on it. Plus what would it look like if an ESFJ was trying to manipulate a person?
    Cue all the IxxP forum members telling stories about their mothers.... Ready, set, GO!
    “We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.” - Leslie Knope

"Nothing lasts forever, some things aren't meant to be. But you'll never find the answers 'til you set your old heart free."

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes Hard, gromit, Cygnus liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    Cue all the IxxP forum members telling stories about their mothers.... Ready, set, GO!
    I've got stories too!
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ Array laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Damn, this seems to be common as heck then. My questions are definitely regarding my mum :p

Away with the fairies Array Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Personally, I've never found ESFJs that manipulative. I've not really had a problem with them.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

my mom is a manipulative ENFP thank you very much!
    Likes Showbread, laterlazer, thoughtlost liked this post

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Oh no, I most definitely have experienced this as well.

MBTI
    yupp

yes and the problem is i'm like oh whatever it's no big deal but then later after it's built i call the person out on it and turn it around so it's my fault, and I'm like no and i'll state in what way it's my fault but say but you did x i did not make you do x and she gets angry i get angry. The thing is it's fine most of the time because it's like whatever i don't care but dealing with it for a week, it wears on you. so i've decided its unlikely i'm gonna spend longer than 3 days at a time with her. I don't mind doing stuff, i'm actually pretty laid back most of the time. I'm very whatever you want to do is fine. but i do have my limits. it's like she can't see that maybe part of the issue is her, i know i have fault in such situations but i'm not 100% responsible nor is she. I don't want her to say oh it's all my fault i want her to accept that part of it is.

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

My ESFJ coworker is incredibly manipulative and dishonest and brags about it. Emotionally blackmailing hundreds of dollars from her ex but she thinks it's ok because it's for her son's 2nd birthday. Lies to coworker but thinks it's ok because he would have forgotten anyway.

On the flip side, I have another ESFJ coworker who isn't manipulative at all and is pretty much a big teddy bear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast