The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    I’ve have gotten along well with them however their utilitarian approach occasionally irks me.

• Too private. Regardless of how long people have known them and close they are, it’ll take many Fi counselling sessions to get to the core of their problems. While they love and appreciate that someone recognises how they feel, their awareness of the underlying problem (or thought patterns) is limited and any input is dismissed quickly (although I realise this because they’re TJ and don’t spend time introspecting).
    • Too others focused (this is only where pragmatism is necessary, otherwise they'll tend to themselves first), more than once I’ve seen people take advantage of their practical and charitable nature. Your duty is your duty, if no one else does it; your not obliged to do it.
    • Too literal. Taking words at face value.
    • Paranoia. Heightened in e6 ISTJs.
    • Inability to read others so they project and they're rarely correct. They can be judgmental, too.
    • Dismissal of opinions and thoughts before complete understanding of the issue.
    • Rigidity, tradition, routine.

I'll entertain this idea. I think it's because most ISTJs are e6 => e6 is known for their anxiety => anxiety is a common cause of back pain.
    Are they as others-focused as ISFJ?

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve have gotten along well with them however their utilitarian approach occasionally irks me.

• Too private. Regardless of how long people have known them and close they are, it’ll take many Fi counselling sessions to get to the core of their problems. While they love and appreciate that someone recognises how they feel, their awareness of the underlying problem (or thought patterns) is limited and any input is dismissed quickly (although I realise this because they’re TJ and don’t spend time introspecting).
    • Too others focused (this is only where pragmatism is necessary, otherwise they'll tend to themselves first), more than once I’ve seen people take advantage of their practical and charitable nature. Your duty is your duty, if no one else does it; your not obliged to do it.
    • Too literal. Taking words at face value.
    • Paranoia. Heightened in e6 ISTJs.
    • Inability to read others so they project and they're rarely correct. They can be judgmental, too.
    • Dismissal of opinions and thoughts before complete understanding of the issue.
    • Rigidity, tradition, routine.

I'll entertain this idea. I think it's because most ISTJs are e6 => e6 is known for their anxiety => anxiety is a common cause of back pain.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

This should be stickied like the other issue threads.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    An inclination to look for reasons to say "no" rather than ways to say "yes". Their naysaying (when they indulge in it) seems less focused on improving the idea at hand than at simply shooting it down. My current supervisor is a good example of this.
    Hahaha! This is one of my great "strengths." I don't really consider it an issue, except other people seem to dislike it...especially dates and girlfriends.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Not being able to talk to people very well, largely from not having anything to say.
    I agree with this one the most. I always wonder, "Why would anyone care about that?" before I say something, which filters down to mostly not commenting. I could ramble on at length about crap that interests me, but creative writing I have trouble with. It's funny, until I first got into MBTI, I didn't notice that.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't know if this is an ISTJ issue, or my issue, but despite being obsessed with MBTI, I'm terrible at typing people. I just can't seem to grasp the basics of what type is and what functions are and I just speculate on random scraps of information. I don't know how other people manage to get good at it, if they read books on it or they just understand people and abstract concepts better or what. Maybe I haven't properly reflected on it. Maybe I lack this kind of reflective ability, or maybe it's just not something I ever learned. So why do I spend so much time on something I suck at, rather than developing the things that I'm good at?

Also this isn't just about MBTI here. It's anything I become obsessed with. It's like, I don't really understand what I'm thinking about, I just think around in circles on the surface elements that don't really apply to how the thing works in general. I could spend 10,000 hours on it, but I won't be anything more than an amateur because I'm not looking at it in the right way. I'm lazy, and my laziness shows when I approach these things.

It's like, I don't really know what it means to learn something. Idk.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    ... I had to think about this for a while, so I may backtrack to explain my point, but as I specified, in practical matters, they appear others focused because they take on roles and responsibilities that aren't applied to them. My experience with ISFJs is that they're not others focused so much for the benefit of the other person, just that, at times, they feel obliged to help out (to maintain social order). With ISTJs, it's to keep practical orders in check. So they're both focused on order but in different realms.

I don't know if this is an ISTJ issue, or my issue, but despite being obsessed with MBTI, I'm terrible at typing people. I just can't seem to grasp the basics of what type is and what functions are and I just speculate on random scraps of information. I don't know how other people manage to get good at it, if they read books on it or they just understand people and abstract concepts better or what. Maybe I haven't properly reflected on it. Maybe I lack this kind of reflective ability, or maybe it's just not something I ever learned. So why do I spend so much time on something I suck at, rather than developing the things that I'm good at?
    Do you find you can read people well in general? Or perhaps I should ask, do you enjoy trying to understand people?

MBTI
    INFJ

Do you find you can read people well in general? Or perhaps I should ask, do you enjoy trying to understand people?
    I can't read people well, no. I don't think I ever tried to understand people before I learned about MBTI. I liked to classify things though.

I can't read people well, no. I don't think I ever tried to understand people before I learned about MBTI. I liked to classify things though.
    Haha, so Si and Te.

I think two things come into play here. First that, being ISTJ, you'll struggle to read people due to the fact that Fi and Ne are your weaker functions which means STJs are at a disadvantage and need to apply more effort in this field. Second, even if you're reasonably competent at reading people, understanding and applying typology effectively requires a lot of time. Few people can determine others' type with precision and even then, they've been at it for years and they've read all the typology books and websites and keep themselves updated.

From playing around with typology for roughly two years now (my psychological types copy is still in mint condition), I can tell you that most people have a good but basic understanding of typology (in comparison to the pounds of literature out there). I think, for now, you should introspect more (strengthen the Fi muscle) and, in the long run, it'll help you apply typology better.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

@skylights
    Would you "sticky" this thread?
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan