User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 37

  1. #11
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    An issue I forgot to mention: ISTJs are also notorious for having back problems.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #12
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kephalos View Post
    My mother is ISTJ and she has told me that when things (not limited to big changes, but to small chnagez as well) change after being a certain way for years she feels very upset.
    My ISTJ grandma seems to struggle with that a lot, too. Of course it is common among older people to be nostalgic, but she has a unique expression of it in terms of it seems like she has an established past "ideal" in her head for the way a lot of things should be and it's often quite specific - for example, we spent months trying to find her a white heavy cable knit long-sleeved cardigan with pockets and buttons.

    Often her complaints are perfectly valid, like how clothing integrity has gone down over time and how someone's dessert was too moist. I suspect that she is venting some of her frustration at losing her independence through these complaints - trying to regain the control she previously had. But she doesn't always seem to have a very good sense that sometimes her complaints really hurt others because they have personally worked hard on whatever she is criticizing, and/or on trying to make her happy. The person/effort and the item/quality seem to be fairly unrelated in her mind, which I assume is more T-style thinking, but unfortunately a lot of the people caring for her are Fs who make strong personal attachments.

  3. #13
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    My ISTJ grandma seems to struggle with that a lot, too. Of course it is common among older people to be nostalgic, but she has a unique expression of it in terms of it seems like she has an established past "ideal" in her head for the way a lot of things should be and it's often quite specific - for example, we spent months trying to find her a white heavy cable knit long-sleeved cardigan with pockets and buttons.

    Often her complaints are perfectly valid, like how clothing integrity has gone down over time and how someone's dessert was too moist. I suspect that she is venting some of her frustration at losing her independence through these complaints - trying to regain the control she previously had. But she doesn't always seem to have a very good sense that sometimes her complaints really hurt others because they have personally worked hard on whatever she is criticizing, and/or on trying to make her happy. The person/effort and the item/quality seem to be fairly unrelated in her mind, which I assume is more T-style thinking, but unfortunately a lot of the people caring for her are Fs who make strong personal attachments.
    What do you mean when you say the person is unimportant?
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  4. #14
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    What do you mean when you say the person is unimportant?
    Well, not unimportant, just unrelated. I don't think she quickly realizes that rejecting everything my mom brings her for a week to try to satisfy her requests can get exhausting and disheartening for my mom, or that frequently telling the dining staff that their food isn't good can be hurtful and discouraging when they're the people who spend a long time working on it. She's very caring and friendly, and always expresses appreciation when people do things for her. I just don't think she is very aware of how her criticism can impact others for the worse.

  5. #15
    Suave y Fuerte BadOctopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Well, not unimportant, just unrelated. I don't think she quickly realizes that rejecting everything my mom brings her for a week to try to satisfy her requests can get exhausting and disheartening for my mom, or that frequently telling the dining staff that their food isn't good can be hurtful and discouraging when they're the people who spend a long time working on it. She's very caring and friendly, and always expresses appreciation when people do things for her. I just don't think she is very aware of how her criticism can impact others for the worse.
    Has she always been like that, or has it just been in recent years? My stepdad's mom is extremely critical, too, but she wasn't always that way. Maybe it's more a symptom of getting older. I've noticed that elderly people in general become really attached to their routines, and resistant to change. That's not necessarily an ISTJ thing. Unless she's always been that way.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

  6. #16
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus
    are those annoyances really exclusive to ISTJs? I'm not an ISTJ, and all of those things are annoying to me. Especially slow walkers. Uuurrrghhh. How do they not see that they're holding everyone up?
    I don't know what bothers other types. I suspect that ISTJs are more adept at spotting faults that escape other types. I only say this because I'm a fan of "Restaurant Impossible" and "Tabitha's Salon Takeover". Both are rescue shows of failing businesses with the ISTJ host finding the root of the problem within a very short period of time.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  7. #17
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I don't know what bothers other types. I suspect that ISTJs are more adept at spotting faults that escape other types. I only say this because I'm a fan of "Restaurant Impossible" and "Tabitha's Salon Takeover". Both are rescue shows of failing businesses with the ISTJ host finding the root of the problem within a very short period of time.
    I ate at a success story and they made it much better.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

  8. #18
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Has she always been like that, or has it just been in recent years? My stepdad's mom is extremely critical, too, but she wasn't always that way. Maybe it's more a symptom of getting older. I've noticed that elderly people in general become really attached to their routines, and resistant to change. That's not necessarily an ISTJ thing. Unless she's always been that way.
    She's always been quite critical and resistant to change, but she was always also quite independent, so I think it's only starting to really impact other people now, whereas it mostly only impacted her and her immediate family before.

  9. #19
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Not being able to talk to people very well, largely from not having anything to say. Even finding essays ridiculously difficult.

    Having an extremely hard time finding a date, and then being too awkward so as to not make a good impression if ever you do get a date...

    Having regrets over the past, and feeling like things will be forever incomplete because things that you once had are now gone.

    Being too honest. Not being able to lie where it would benefit you, or take advantage of others' mistakes.

    Being boring. Not having much in the way of passion, dreams and fantasies.

    More to come...

  10. #20
    Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    848

    Default

    I’ve have gotten along well with them however their utilitarian approach occasionally irks me.

    • Too private. Regardless of how long people have known them and close they are, it’ll take many Fi counselling sessions to get to the core of their problems. While they love and appreciate that someone recognises how they feel, their awareness of the underlying problem (or thought patterns) is limited and any input is dismissed quickly (although I realise this because they’re TJ and don’t spend time introspecting).
    • Too others focused (this is only where pragmatism is necessary, otherwise they'll tend to themselves first), more than once I’ve seen people take advantage of their practical and charitable nature. Your duty is your duty, if no one else does it; your not obliged to do it.
    • Too literal. Taking words at face value.
    • Paranoia. Heightened in e6 ISTJs.
    • Inability to read others so they project and they're rarely correct. They can be judgmental, too.
    • Dismissal of opinions and thoughts before complete understanding of the issue.
    • Rigidity, tradition, routine.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    An issue I forgot to mention: ISTJs are also notorious for having back problems.
    I'll entertain this idea. I think it's because most ISTJs are e6 => e6 is known for their anxiety => anxiety is a common cause of back pain.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Common ENFP issues
    By Amargith in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 781
    Last Post: 11-25-2017, 08:13 PM
  2. [INFJ] Common INFJ issues
    By fidelia in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 686
    Last Post: 10-20-2017, 07:41 PM
  3. [INFP] Common INFP Issues
    By Seymour in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 398
    Last Post: 09-28-2017, 10:43 PM
  4. [ISTJ] Common ISTJ Issues
    By agentwashington in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2017, 10:47 AM
  5. [ENTP] The Limits of Awesomeness (alternatively, Common ENTP Issues)
    By Qre:us in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO