• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs & Feelings

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I don't know if this quality goes across all ISTJs or with just the one that I know...but...

if an ISTJ ever decides on something by their "feelings" instead of "thinking", do they feel like they have no self control? If so, why is that?

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes. If I make an impulse decision - say I decide to get a cream puff instead of a chocolate biscotti - I often feel regret. I'd rather spend some time deliberating beforehand. I'd scold myself for not making a better decision and beat myself up for having to suffer the consequences.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. If I make an impulse decision - say I decide to get a cream puff instead of a chocolate biscotti - I often feel regret. I'd rather spend some time deliberating beforehand. I'd scold myself for not making a better decision and beat myself up for having to suffer the consequences.

It's funny you focused on sensory-related choices.

What about relational ones, such as when you feel angry with someone?

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's funny you focused on sensory-related choices.

What about relational ones, such as when you feel angry with someone?

Hmm. Do I feel out of control when that happens? Yes, because that behavior was unpredicted. It wasn't part of the "itinerary" to have an argument or have our day ruined by anger.
Are fights ever planned or scheduled? No, and that makes me feel out of control because the rest of my day gets thrown off-kilter.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
How can you convince an ISTJ that, at times, it's okay to make a decision based off feeling rather than logic? or is there no way to?

Last edited:

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
I hate! making feelings-based decisions and I generally regret it afterwards

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Depends on how important the decision is to the ISTJ.

A good way to show an ISTJ that it's OK to make decisions based on feelings is by showing them that over-thinking decisions, without listening to your gut, can have negative consequences. For example, an ISTJ pre-med was flunking all of his classes and compromising his health but still wouldn't change majors so he wouldn't disappoint his parents' expectations of becoming a doctor. He pursued this goal even though everything else suffered.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on how important the decision is to the ISTJ.

A good way to show an ISTJ that it's OK to make decisions based on feelings is by showing them that over-thinking decisions, without listening to your gut, can have negative consequences. For example, an ISTJ pre-med was flunking all of his classes and compromising his health but still wouldn't change majors so he wouldn't disappoint his parents' expectations of becoming a doctor. He pursued this goal even though everything else suffered.

But don't you still then just approach it through Thinking again?

IOW, the ISTJ is still thinking through things. Logically, if one's health suffers enough, then it becomes more logical to suffer the parents disappointment than to kill oneself through overwork. Does the ISTJ approach it with logic, in that sort of way, rather than still "feeling" it? The logic is still making the decision, except the "gut" is now credited as a valid source of information that must be taken into account rather than viewed suspiciously.

I'm just curious, this is a very insightful thread. :)

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yup, I agree it's still thinking in this case.

Maybe F is just really foreign to me!

MBTI Type
ENFP
Very interesting! My husband is ISTJ. After 16 years of marriage, only now am I beginning to understand him.

He definitely thinks through any decision he makes (and re-thinks, and scrutinizes...)

It takes him several months to decide on a car. He will research magazines, internet, in person, etc. He will ultimately know more about a vehicle than the salesperson does. Boy, does he beat himself up if every step isn't planned and executed very precisely.

MBTI Type
ENFP
How can you convince an ISTJ that, at times, it's okay to make a decision based off feeling rather than logic? or is there no way to?

Hmmm. I am imagining how I'd react if my ISTJ husband tried to convince my very ENFP self to research something to death, and plan it out from start to finish. The very thought of that makes me cringe. So, I imagine if I somehow convinced him to hop in the car and drive to some unknown destination (we'll figure it out as we go...) He would quite likely implode. Bottom line? Nope, I don't think I, or anyone else, could convince him to make a decision based on feelings, and result in him feeling good about it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just want to point out we also need to avoid equating "Thinking" to J and "Feeling" to P.

Many ISFJs (also with the Si primary) also have a strong need to plan, have closure, and keep things structured or they fall apart. The weakness for both types is Ne. Ne scares them, and usually if it is not developed, it comes out as paranoia about the future if things cannot be clarified or extreme distrust of people who seem unpredictable/spontaneous to them.

The T/F difference here usually plays out in that ISTJ will be happier if things "make sense" whereas the ISFJ can settle for "group harmony" as a priority in their search for structure.

MBTI Type
ENFP
Just want to point out we also need to avoid equating "Thinking" to J and "Feeling" to P.

Many ISFJs (also with the Si primary) also have a strong need to plan, have closure, and keep things structured or they fall apart. The weakness for both types is Ne. Ne scares them, and usually if it is not developed, it comes out as paranoia about the future if things cannot be clarified or extreme distrust of people who seem unpredictable/spontaneous to them.

The T/F difference here usually plays out in that ISTJ will be happier if things "make sense" whereas the ISFJ can settle for "group harmony" as a priority in their search for structure.

Oooooh. So, this would explain why my husband thinks I am a bit loony. But, the way I figure, we balance each other out.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oooooh. So, this would explain why my husband thinks I am a bit loony. But, the way I figure, we balance each other out.

yeah, I would prefer the phrase "balance each other out" to "cancel each other out.:" :)

Honestly, if you guys can make it work, you both can compensate for weaknesses and help each other grow stronger.

MBTI Type
ENFP
yeah, I would prefer the phrase "balance each other out" to "cancel each other out.:" :)

Honestly, if you guys can make it work, you both can compensate for weaknesses and help each other grow stronger.

It's true. Together, we are centered.

Besides... I cannot imagine two of ME living in the same house....:17425:

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Yeah, being an ENFP it's sometimes hard to understand ISTJs being exact opposites and all :)

It's just so hard for me to grasp and understand how a person could want something so bad and then talk themselves out of it. It's just foreign to me. If there's a decision that needs to be made and my heart overweighs my mind, I choose heart. haha, too much F i suppose

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yeah. :yes:

Jennifer, I wish I could hire you to explain me to the people I know in real life. lol

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7

I have a question for you.
When would you consider it to be okay to make a decision based off feeling?
I find that I can often apply logic to make decisions that ensure that those around me are satisfied- being diplomatic and logical are not mutually exclusive.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I have a question for you.
When would you consider it to be okay to make a decision based off feeling?
I find that I can often apply logic to make decisions that ensure that those around me are satisfied- being diplomatic and logical are not mutually exclusive.

See, I find that using my feeling helps me keep harmony in a group or any other situation. Logically, there could be better choices maybe, but at times, I find logically based decisions to be cut-throat and not thinking about others feelings.

A stupid example, but nonetheless an example, if a group of people wanted to do something that I wasn't going to be entertained by, I would decide to do it so other people can have fun and I don't want to stand in the way of what a whole group wants. But I feel, some Ts that I know, would rather sit out on an activity or even try and persuade others to do what they want to do, because they don't like a certain activity, and therefore they find it illogical to suck it up and partake in it.

Ah, does that make any sense??

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I feel like Ts are very logical, but look out for themselves when making a decision.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
See, I find that using my feeling helps me keep harmony in a group or any other situation. Logically, there could be better choices maybe, but at times, I find logically based decisions to be cut-throat and not thinking about others feelings.

A stupid example, but nonetheless an example, if a group of people wanted to do something that I wasn't going to be entertained by, I would decide to do it so other people can have fun and I don't want to stand in the way of what a whole group wants. But I feel, some Ts that I know, would rather sit out on an activity or even try and persuade others to do what they want to do, because they don't like a certain activity, and therefore they find it illogical to suck it up and partake in it.

Ah, does that make any sense??

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I feel like Ts are very logical, but look out for themselves when making a decision.

I get what you're saying. That's something that really bugs me about my INTJ friend actually. In that case, I would go on with the activity but also point out some things we could do next time that I think we'll all enjoy.

I can think of an example where I relate to this much.. my friends and I love this movie called "Grindhouse".. I thought it was awesome the first time and the second time.. but after seeing it five times.. it's getting kind of old but it seems that most of my friends still want to see it over and over again- ugh! I'm thankful for two things in that respect.

a.) I have one other friend who doesn't want to see the movie again- after seeing it four or five times.
b.) I have possession of the movie..