User Tag List

123 Last

Default Se in the eyes of Si

Hi, do Si users understand what Se is? I know some Se users struggle to imagine what Si is and wonder if it goes both ways. I imagine this question for Si-dominants.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think I know what Se is, but I fail to see why people feel it's the greatest thing on earth, e.g. why they have it as their primary function.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail.

We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result.
    We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context.
    An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention.
    Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment.
    A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us.
    The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

I don't know whether I'd recognize that an individual is an Se dom type, except maybe for Earthy women?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I think I have a "feel" for what it is, but it's kind of hard to put into words without sounding...formulaic and textbook-ish, or in other words, hard to relate to it.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

It pretty much escapes me completely. I didn't grow up with any dominant or tertiary Se users. My family is all Te, Ne, Ni. I think I just associate it with people jumping off cliffs.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I have no freaking clue. I guess the feeling of being "in the zone" when you're making art, playing a sport, lifting weights, etc, would be Se? Generally I agree with @Cimarron that I can try to summarize it, but it ends up sounding textbook. The thought process ends up being "I guess they do this thing... but doesn't everyone do that?" e.g. doesn't everyone get "in the zone"?

I'd probably understand it if I had more SPs in my life, but I've got one ISTP friend and that's it.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Se is the most zen of all the functions.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My ISTP friend was showing me some basic fight stuff last night (because these are the dumb things people do half naked on concrete floors tipsy around midnight???) But anyway he said I was getting one thing better than most people he showed but I wasn't grounding myself and protecting my head, and I thought about the awareness it requires to ground your self in yoga as a reference, but I had kind of thought of that as Si because it's so subtle ...so he showed me old fights with Mike Tyson who is clearly (or was clearly) some kind of genius at boxing even though he seems retarded in every other way, it was visible even to me the solidity of his body and his presence. Like he doesn't think about anything, he just IS. He's physically just right there, fully engaged, not in his head. That's Se.

But it's faulty to always correlate Se with things like sports. In Socionics Se types are sexually aggressive people highly aware of socio-cultural dynamics in a pragmatic rather than "correct" way like the socio-cultural awareness of Fe. People aware of how best to manipulate real space who can even come across as overbearing in some cases.

Jungs Se dom is the ultimate realist, or thinks of himself as such (all perception is irrational so this is not entirely true) who has his or her own morality in enjoying the pleasures of life and sharing them, living life to the full, grabbing it and smelling, touching tasting seeing hearing EXPERIENCING it, and any ascetic denial of this would be seen as amoral ingratitude to the Se type,who can range from fine artist to idiot thrill seeker based on intelligence and maturity.

P.s. I.only realized later you were asking for SJ perception. I was just running down different explanation, sorry.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    Se is the most zen of all the functions.
    I'd argue that zen is a combination of Se and mature Ni. Like how they teach you to just be your body in yoga, but then advanced yogis take it beyond that and cling simply to the internal focus that some can go without eating or drinking in a small dark hole for up to three days just by regulating their breathing. To me that's FUCKING CRAZY like why just why, but it's so they can maintain internal calm in literally any situation.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I'd argue that zen is a combination of Se and mature Ni. Like how they teach you to just be your body in yoga, but then advanced yogis take it beyond that and cling simply to the internal focus that some can go without eating or drinking in a small dark hole for up to three days just by regulating their breathing. To me that's FUCKING CRAZY like why just why, but it's so they can maintain internal calm in literally any situation.
    Agree. I used to meditate and although I never reached that level, I think it helped me develop Ni better.