User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    • Subtle guilt trips through self-victimization
    • Actively being a paragon of virtue, to use as leverage later ("If I'm perfect, then you have no excuse to be upset with me.")
    • Generally passive-aggressive (occasionally downright aggressive if they feel justified or people they love are threatened)
    • Self-pity/withdrawal/self-castigation
    • Mentally able to block out things they don't want to address (denial and repression)
    • Can keep record of wrongs easily
    • Prone to wild speculation when things are forced outside the box (i.e., weak N abilities)

Those are the things I generally have experienced.
    Well put.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
    What does an unhealthy ISFJ look like?
    Like a mongoose digesting a car battery.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    • Subtle guilt trips through self-victimization
    • Actively being a paragon of virtue, to use as leverage later ("If I'm perfect, then you have no excuse to be upset with me.")
    • Generally passive-aggressive (occasionally downright aggressive if they feel justified or people they love are threatened)
    • Self-pity/withdrawal/self-castigation
    • Mentally able to block out things they don't want to address (denial and repression)
    • Can keep record of wrongs easily
    • Prone to wild speculation when things are forced outside the box (i.e., weak N abilities)

Those are the things I generally have experienced.
    Extremely well-put. You must know an ISFJ like this too

MBTI
    ENFP

My mom is an ISFJ, they are amazing people.

I just don't get the following:

1. How can you live with 8 males in a house and put up with their nasty slobbiness, continue to clean every day even when you are sick and are on so many pain killers to numb your back and all hell is going on around you.

2. How can you just put up with doing shit for people for so long, she ironed and washed my clothes, cooked my food, always put my shit where I can find it and did it for all my brothers and my dad for so effing long.

3. When you are pissed about something and say it 20 times, how do you manage to repeat it for the next three hours without tyring?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    3. When you are pissed about something and say it 20 times, how do you manage to repeat it for the next three hours without tyring?

I will second that inquiry! My mom in an ISFJ as well, and man, when she unleashes all of her pent up feelings it is like a 5 hour dip in the freezing-cold swimming pool of depression. She's been annoyed with her boss lately, and it seems that for 3 or 4 months now, every night devolves into a bitching session about "why do they hate me so much to give me this or that task." She definitely resents not being appreciated. And it's impossible to argue with her without her framing you as the bad guy, shifting the attention away from the issue at hand to a "why are you being so mean to me" situation. I love my mom and she does so much for me, but when things go sour it's absolutely infuriating because it's as if we're in separate communication universes.

One of my guy friends is ISFJ as well. When he is in a bad mood he will passively-aggressively guilt trip you to no end. And he'll just be generally mean.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

violaine

Does anyone, esp any ISFJs, have any helpful tips for how I would best interact with an unhealthy ISFJ? I have someone in my life who is really unhealthy and have to see her quite regularly.

She is amongst other things:
    - Extremely perfectionistic, almost to the point of it being a sickness imo (this actually makes me feel for her and it's why I want to do something to improve our relationship).
    - Martyr complex
    - Very little to no sympathy for anyone else, much sympathy for herself
    - Thinks people are "out to get her" when they are not
    - Dismissive of others whose lifestyle isn't in tune with hers
    - Criticism makes her cry
    - Self-righteous
    - Extremely concerned with the appearance of things
    - Extreme frustration and anger always just below the surface, which she usually expresses by crying

How do I reach the mellow side of her, if that's even what I should be doing? She takes any disagreement as a personal affront, so it's pretty hard to reason with her when she's being 'judgemental'.

Then after all of the above she will turn around and do something wonderful for you... and it feels like total manipulation.

EDIT: I should add that Jennifer's list of things she has experienced holds true for her as well.

MBTI
    INFP

I had lunch with one a couple of weeks ago.

When we requested to sit in a certain area, the greeter's response was one of irritation.

I reworded my preference to a tad more firmness and he reluctantly led us to our chosen table.

She smiled through the whole interaction and I thought she hadn't even noticed the little clash there.

A week or so later I overheard her talking about it to someone else and she was going on about how rude he was and she was pretty offended by the whole little interchange!

Surprised me.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ISTJ

I read through this thread, and, after realizing I had nothing to contribute, noticed that no other ISTJs had posted here either...

Fun
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I had lunch with one a couple of weeks ago.

When we requested to sit in a certain area, the greeter's response was one of irritation.

I reworded my preference to a tad more firmness and he reluctantly led us to our chosen table.

She smiled through the whole interaction and I thought she hadn't even noticed the little clash there.

A week or so later I overheard her talking about it to someone else and she was going on about how rude he was and she was pretty offended by the whole little interchange!

Surprised me.
    Ahahaha!

MBTI
    infp

Alot of this sounds like my ISFJ friend, the self sacrificing, refusing to speak up when people are taking advantage, stuff like that.

However the most unhealthy thing I have seen is that she is stuck in the past, continuously mourning a long forgotten past that is never coming back, and continuing to be a martyr to a love long buried. (one that from my understanding did not break down completely due to her, and yet she takes 100% of the blame onto herself)

I can get stuck in the past but I can make myself bounce out by reminding myself that nothing will ever turn back time, I feel that whenever I am trying to lift her out of that negative state or rememberence I am embarking on an impossible task because absolutely nothing I have ever said has ever helped her let go of that.

Also she is extremely paranoid about being cheated on, it consumes her current relationship. She is sure that he will cheat, she has plenty of reason to believe this of course but her attitude is to remain the nice one, to not realy say anything, to continue to self sacrifice and take care of all his little needs, to keep him fed and content, so that when he does cheat (no way will he not as far as she is concerned) she can then be the "nice one" and in no way to blame for the break up of the relationship.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari