User Tag List

First 12

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mobius View Post
    It has been awhile since I read Jung; but I’m relatively sure he was talking about stocks and business investments when it came to Ne Doms. Not pokie machines which probably hadn’t been invented then; given the state of electronic development. The difference being calculated risks and rewards versus extreme risks and astronomically small chance of reward.
    Jung coined the eight functions as a tool to aiding the individual approach to therapeutic sessions.

As a philosophical pole of operation, extraverted intuition is a driving force of the gamble.

I will say, I did not intend to isolate the phenomenon explicitly down to slots.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    As a philosophical pole of operation, extraverted intuition is a driving force of the gamble.
    Possibly; then again neurochemistry, genetic predisposition, escapism, and any number of possible triggers could as well.

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I will say, I did not intend to isolate the phenomenon explicitly down to slots.
    True you may not have but the OP set the scope of the thread.
    “Brighter, now brighter, pay no mind to those who squint, burn with all your heat.”

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    So, tonight I learned that I fail at gambling. Putting my money into a flashing machine only to push a button only to have it go away forever just wasn't fun...

Is this perhaps an SJ practical thing? Or do some of you have a different take on this?
    I don't find the fun in it either. Because there's no mental strategy involved in things like slot machines, it's just dull. I can't learn from it.

Card games are a different story. Even then, though, I don't bother. I don't have spare money to throw into a past time like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    So, tonight I learned that I fail at gambling. Putting my money into a flashing machine only to push a button only to have it go away forever just wasn't fun...

Is this perhaps an SJ practical thing? Or do some of you have a different take on this?

I think this is more of a J/strong J thing since this kinds of individuals dislike inefficiency and muddy logic.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I don't know about the SJs but apparently my ESFP grandfather-in-law is an expert gambler. Just like the Kenny Rogers song.