• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFJ] Ask an ESFJ

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What do you think of ENFJs?

I like them quite a bit! Two of my good friends are ENFJs. I feel like we just kind of click in a lot of ways. We usually have very animated, very intense conversations about life. I live with a lot of introverts, so when I spend time with people who love to talk about their feelings as much as I do it's a real treat. :laugh: I should also mention that I do often mistype as an ENFJ... I take the Humanmetrics MBTI test every so often and about half the time I test ENFJ. So, my perspective might be a bit biased. But, I just like xNFJs a lot in general. If I could pick any type to marry it would be an xNFJ. :wubbie:

How well might you like ENTPs?
What is your impression(s) of them?

I can't honestly think of any ENTPs that I actually know. I'm sure I've encountered many, I just didn't know any of them well enough to type. I generally like INTPs though... Sorry! I generally just associate ENTPs with Jack Sparrow. :happy2:

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like them quite a bit! Two of my good friends are ENFJs. I feel like we just kind of click in a lot of ways. We usually have very animated, very intense conversations about life. I live with a lot of introverts, so when I spend time with people who love to talk about their feelings as much as I do it's a real treat. :laugh: I should also mention that I do often mistype as an ENFJ... I take the Humanmetrics MBTI test every so often and about half the time I test ENFJ. So, my perspective might be a bit biased. But, I just like xNFJs a lot in general. If I could pick any type to marry it would be an xNFJ. :wubbie:

I can't honestly think of any ENTPs that I actually know. I'm sure I've encountered many, I just didn't know any of them well enough to type. I generally like INTPs though... Sorry! I generally just associate ENTPs with Jack Sparrow. :happy2:
Hahaha

Nicki

Retired
I love your opinions/beliefs, your avatar, and your signature. Will you eat waffles with me?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How do you feel if a guy you are interested in is obviously interested, but doesn't give you compliments? Do you need compliments? I don't feel like I need them, but I admit to liking them.

(I mean of course genuine compliments that mention things that you like or admire about someone... not insincere flattery.) I am reluctant to give out compliments of any kind for some reason, perhaps because I am afraid it makes me too transparent or something.

Somehow I missed this one, sorry!

How exactly do I know he is obviously interested? I guess I often associate compliments with flirting. So, to answer your question I do really like compliments. Not sure if that's an ESFJ thing, or an e2 thing though... I think I do get a lot of validation from being well liked. That said, I am definitely not one to fish for compliments, and I don't think they are necessary for my self-esteem/self worth. But, I do really enjoy them especially if they are sincere and from someone who I am close to.

More in reference to the bolded part, I think that makes your compliments that much more meaningful when they are given. One of my good friends who is INTP doesn't give compliments often. But, everyone once and awhile he says some very meaningful and kind things. I am usually forbidden from repeating them to our other friends. I think he might have a similar fear of transparency/vulnerability.

I love your opinions/beliefs, your avatar, and your signature. Will you eat waffles with me?

:happy2: Of course! I would never pass up an opportunity to eat waffles with someone. Also, the brown haired boy in your avie has the exact same unfortunate hair cut that one of my brothers had for most of the '90s. :laugh:

Nicki

Retired
:happy2: Of course! I would never pass up an opportunity to eat waffles with someone. Also, the brown haired boy in your avie has the exact same unfortunate hair cut that one of my brothers had for most of the '90s. :laugh:

Thank you so much, I'm very pleased right now. How do you like your waffles? With cream cheese, butter, maple syrup, etc.? When I was younger, I loved waffle sandwiches with turkey slices and cream cheese.

I feel so sorry for your brother.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thank you so much, I'm very pleased right now. How do you like your waffles? With cream cheese, butter, maple syrup, etc.? When I was younger, I loved waffle sandwiches with turkey slices and cream cheese.

I feel so sorry for your brother.

Peanut butter with banana slices? Or butter with a drizzle of honey, please. :)

Right? We laugh so hard at the pictures now. I'll have to post a few somewhere...

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Are there any people you believe are ESFJ that you look up to or relate to? Family, celebs, etc. Mariah Carey comes to mind. :happy2:

Nicki

Retired
Peanut butter with banana slices? Or butter with a drizzle of honey, please. :)

Right? We laugh so hard at the pictures now. I'll have to post a few somewhere...

*serves Showbread dozens of waffles with a bowl of peanut butter, a bowl of banana slices, a bowl of butter, and a bottle of honey*

I haven't tried waffles with butter and honey. One day I will though.

You definitely should!!!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Per request of chubber. Ask away friends!

Hi there! :hifive:

Do you know any friends/family members of yours who have one cognitive function different than your own type?
If so, have you compared the similarities/differences between you both?
And if so again, did they make sense in terms of personality theory, or just make sense in terms of uniqueness between people?

I'm an ESTP, My Dad is an ESTJ, and one of my best friends is an ESFP.
I have much in common with both, but also glaring differences.
These commonalities and differences amongst similar folk well known to me have been interesting to ponder on.
Just wondering if you've observed similar phenomena.

Thanks for your thoughts!

:cheers:

-Halla74

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Are there any people you believe are ESFJ that you look up to or relate to? Family, celebs, etc. Mariah Carey comes to mind. :happy2:

I am not a huge fan of Mariah Carey actually... She made some comments about hating her body, and described herself as "disgusting" when she was out of shape after having a her twins that really rubbed me the wrong the way. I can be a little bit of a feminazi when it comes to the way women's bodies are portrayed in the media. So when women that have made themselves role models for teen girls make such derogatory remarks about themselves it sets me off a bit. Her twins are absolutely adorable though, and she really is extremely talented. Just not someone I look up to.

I don't think I have any ESFJ family members or friends, but in terms of famous people...

http://www.celebritytypes.com/esfj.php

According to that page though, Jennifer Garner and Anne Hathaway are ESFJs and I really like both of them. They're both very classy, and Jennifer has been married a whole 10 years, that's like 50 in Hollywood years. :laugh: There are a few fictional ESFJs that I really like as well, particularly Molly Weasley.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am not a huge fan of Mariah Carey actually... She made some comments about hating her body, and described herself as "disgusting" when she was out of shape after having a her twins that really rubbed me the wrong the way. I can be a little bit of a feminazi when it comes to the way women's bodies are portrayed in the media. So when women that have made themselves role models for teen girls make such derogatory remarks about themselves it sets me off a bit. Her twins are absolutely adorable though, and she really is extremely talented. Just not someone I look up to.

Oooh, I see. I'm a bit disappointed actually. Like the time Kelly Clarkson said she wasn't a feminist because she wasn't "pushy" and she liked to be taken care of. I was like DAMMIT KELLY I HAVE TO EDUCATE YOU.

I don't think I have any ESFJ family members or friends, but in terms of famous people...

http://www.celebritytypes.com/esfj.php

According to that page though, Jennifer Garner and Anne Hathaway are ESFJs and I really like both of them. They're both very classy, and Jennifer has been married a whole 10 years, that's like 50 in Hollywood years. :laugh: There are a few fictional ESFJs that I really like as well, particularly Molly Weasley.

I usually don't trust that website because some of their typings are just whack (Kanye West as an ISFJ?!) but I think their typing of Anne Hathaway is reasonable. :D

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oooh, I see. I'm a bit disappointed actually. Like the time Kelly Clarkson said she wasn't a feminist because she wasn't "pushy" and she liked to be taken care of. I was like DAMMIT KELLY I HAVE TO EDUCATE YOU.

I usually don't trust that website because some of their typings are just whack (Kanye West as an ISFJ?!) but I think their typing of Anne Hathaway is reasonable. :D

No! Kelly! :( That makes me sad. I've always liked her too.

Ugh, Kanye as an ISFJ? That's wacky. I only skimmed the ESFJ one. I forgot to mention Leslie Knope and Liz Lemon (both fictional). They are both ExFJs and fabulous. Leslie is actually my avatar. :D

Debaser

MBTI Type
xNTJ
Kanye West is definitely Ne dom and almost certainly ENFP. Just throwing that out there. Celebrity Types is crap.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I was pleased to see kanye appear in Anchorman 2

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have an ESFJ flatemate/landord and I like her a lot. But our socialization can sometimes end in a bust, as I desire to make things more abstract (to me, interesting) while she prefers to keep things more grounded. The issue is that perhaps I DO find her conversation interesting, because it stimulates me enough to lead me to want to express connections and observations I find interesting that she...perhaps doesn't. Part of me (one must assume a rather arrogant self-centered part) refuses to believe that a woman as intelligent as she is has little motivation to pursue exploration of the abstract. I wish she could join me on them, but I also wish I could join her on the topics she likes to discuss. She is ever so good for humoring me, however.

So I guess my question is.

Am INTP. Have ESFJ flatmate. What do?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have an ESFJ flatemate/landord and I like her a lot. But our socialization can sometimes end in a bust, as I desire to make things more abstract (to me, interesting) while she prefers to keep things more grounded. The issue is that perhaps I DO find her conversation interesting, because it stimulates me enough to lead me to want to express connections and observations I find interesting that she...perhaps doesn't. Part of me (one must assume a rather arrogant self-centered part) refuses to believe that a woman as intelligent as she is has little motivation to pursue exploration of the abstract. I wish she could join me on them, but I also wish I could join her on the topics she likes to discuss. She is ever so good for humoring me, however.

So I guess my question is.

Am INTP. Have ESFJ flatmate. What do?

This makes me laugh, because I can totally relate. Three of my closest friends are INTP, INTJ, and INFP. For the most part, I enjoy discussing abstract theoretical things with them. But, I seem to have a threshold of how long I can handle these discussions. Usually with INFP and INTP I can go for a really long time. I find myself getting frustrated and withdrawing from the conversation when it becomes so theoretical and detached from reality that I really just can't justify wasting the brain on examining it any further.

For example: We were at dinner discussing the type of person we wanted to marry. INTJ friend insists she wants to marry someone just like herself. She then goes on to stipulate that it should be legal to actually marry yourself. We laugh, continue to discuss what that would be like, etc. But then, she takes it further and insists that people with multiple personality disorder should be allowed to have their different personalities marry eachother. And that the ONLY reason that would be a problem, is if they finally went to therapy because they wouldn't be abel to determine which personality was the actual real one.

That's were I decided I was done. But she could have EASILY continued for another solid ten minutes.

So, for the actual advice part... If you want to discuss abstract concepts, maybe try to make an effort to make them somehow applicable to reality? Or just don't get too crazy with it. :)

Hi there! :hifive:
Do you know any friends/family members of yours who have one cognitive function different than your own type?
If so, have you compared the similarities/differences between you both?
And if so again, did they make sense in terms of personality theory, or just make sense in terms of uniqueness between people?

Yes! My dad is an ESTJ, and we get a long for the most part. But, we disagree on almost everything. I generally attribute this to his total lack of Fe. The idea of the "greater good" is completely foreign to him. He approaches pretty much everything from a pretty individualistic perspective. Which, is pretty foreign to me.

One of my good friends in high school, who I am still in touch with, is an ESFP. We get a long really well when we are one-on-one, or in the presence of other females. But, throw men into the mix and she can drive me nuts. She has a constant need for attention, particularly male attention, that drives me crazy! She's also bit flakey, which is a pet peeve of mine.

One of my roommates is an ENFJ, and we get along swimmingly for the most part. She can be a bit moody and self-centered from time to time. But, so can I. She also nags a lot. But again, I have a tendency to do the same. We have pretty similar personalities for the most part though. I would say the biggest difference between us I would attribute to enneagram actually. I'm a 2w1, and she is a 3w2. Even though her 2 wing is pretty strong, she is definitely way more structure and achievement driven than I am. Her biggest commitments are the ones related to her personal success, and mine are to nurturing relationships with the people important to me. But again, that more enneagram than MBTI.

Last edited:
N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

In what way do you relate to ENFJs?

Cygnus

Being an Fe-user, do you feel trapped by how much ESFJ hate there is on the Internet? Does your Fe make you feel alone because you're the least represented type online?

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Being an Fe-user, do you feel trapped by how much ESFJ hate there is on the Internet? Does your Fe make you feel alone because you're the least represented type online?

Alone to some extent, but usually if I'm patient enough and put enough of myself out there, people come out of the woodwork. If not, then ehhh at least I said my piece.

I like that you've included Kreia in your signature.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In what way do you relate to ENFJs?

Hmm, a lot of ways. My ENFJ friends and I are sometimes creepily similar. My ENFJ roommate and I literally finish each other's sentences sometimes. I tend to like the same tv, music, food, and movies as my ENFJ friends. We generally respond to situations the same way, both emotionally and in the way we approach a potentially problematic situation. I just feel like we generally operate on the same wavelength. Planning things with ENFJ roommate is so easy. We prioritize the same way.

I don't know if this is type related, but my ENFJ friends and I are basically taste-bud twins. We like all the same foods, and enjoy cooking them.

It's typing things like this that make me think I really am an ENFJ. But, then I remember that I use Si like there's no tomorrow.

Trapped isn't the right word. It's a forum, I know could leave if I wanted to (I don't want to). Sometimes I feel a little bit isolated, and of inferior intelligence. But, I've also met some really great people, fellow SJs and N types. I'm also pretty used to being surrounded by Ni/Fi. Most of my friends are IN types.