• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFJ] Ask an ESFJ

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It drives me crazy. Although I am probably a bit more concerned with appearing normal than all of my IN friends, I question and evaluate my opinions. I find it extremely frustrating that people assume ESFJs are all content to just adopt other people's opinions without questioning them.

I'm not even ESFJ and it annoys me haha!

Do you feel like you experience some prejudice or condescension from other people online when they see your listed type? Specifically INTs since they seem to be the ones that harbor the most frustration towards ESFJs.

Oh and how do you feel about ENFPs? :D

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What are your visions and ideals for world progress and the future of humanity?

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Do you feel it necessary to impose your beliefs on others, or why do you feel the need to so frequently impose your beliefs? That's the thing that annoys me about ESFJs. They think they are right, they think things should go their way, and they push their stuff onto other people. It would be great if you could provide some insight around that topic.

Is this even a question? Or is it one is those trick questions like "why are you such a jerk?"

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=20044]chubber[/MENTION] intjs are cool at first, but ultimately they are impossible sticklers that are never satisfied.
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] enfps are pretty cool, wish they were around to hang out more
[MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] i like humanity, wish for peace, hope we can get on with all that progress we keep hearing about. Technology seems like it can give us that, but it's just a tool, and real progress must come from people.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do ESFJs feel about not being liked as much as the other popular types?

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESFJs, what does Fe-dom mean to you?

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Which types might those be? Being liked is not as important as being valued.

[MENTION=17495]CapLawyer[/MENTION]
Every human being deserves some common decency and I'm loathe to see otherwise. if that means imposing a few values, then so be it.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which types might those be? Being liked is not as important as being valued.

I was using the ESFJ Hate thread as a reference as to how much dislike there is for ESFJ. Mind you, INTJ isn't on the popular list either.

When you say valued, do you imply, felt needed?

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Do you feel like you experience some prejudice or condescension from other people online when they see your listed type? Specifically INTs since they seem to be the ones that harbor the most frustration towards ESFJs.

I try to see it from their perspective, I've run afoul of other esfjs too and it's not fun. In some cases it can seem like the "first world problems" of interpersonal conflict, like complaints of being too nice, too social, too loving, too attentive, not acting exactly how they wanted. I can see how it can be sorta bad, but still I think it's far from the worst.

[MENTION=20044]chubber[/MENTION] yes needed

Sakedon

MBTI Type
ESFJ
How do you feel/behave around people you know (or believe) can never truly be your friend, but they treat your nicely because they probably think they are your friend?

If someone is nice/kind to me, I try to return that kindness. Being kind doesn't mean we have to be friends. If I don't want to become close to someone, I won't.

What do ESFJs think about INTJs?

My boyfriend is an INTJ. Most of the time, we get on quite well together. Sometimes I find his stubbornness frustrating, sometimes I find his lack of extroverted feeling confusing, but overall I respect his different perspective on things and I often find his outlook refreshing. I think if we weren't dating we could still have been friends just fine.

ESFJs, do you consider yourself superstitious?

Maybe when I was younger? But now, not so much.

Are you guys heavy on gender roles?

I can't speak for all ESFJs, but gender roles aren't really an issue for me. A male nurse can be just as good at his job as a female one. Men make great cooks, and lesbian families can raise children just fine.

....I also want to ask: What's your inner world truly like?

I have a very active imagination.

How do you feel about people who think that ESFJs have no individual opinions or beliefs of their own and that they are 100% conformist?

Makes me angry, but close-minded ignorant opinions usually do.

Do you feel it necessary to impose your beliefs on others, or why do you feel the need to so frequently impose your beliefs? That's the thing that annoys me about ESFJs. They think they are right, they think things should go their way, and they push their stuff onto other people. It would be great if you could provide some insight around that topic.

I think with age, I've learned that what I see as helping someone out, they might see as overbearing. If a person comes to me and is upset, I try to just be the listening ear. Not everyone who is upset wants advice, sometimes they just want to blow steam.

I think it's ironic that on a public forum dedicated to learning about interacting with different personality types, ESFJs are ostracized. Especially considering stereotypically, "We're totally the ones that want to be your friend most!" :shrug:

ESFJs, what does Fe-dom mean to you?

It means this person is more likely to have an emotional reaction to a situation, and that they are likely to make decisions based on how they feel about it.

When you say valued, do you imply, felt needed?

I tend to equate the two, yes.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never thought the day would come that we at TypoC would receive multiple active ESFJs each responding in unison!

Now if only we could get the same phenomenon for all of the ESTJs, as they seem even less popular in Typology groups...

So ESFJs, how do your leadership qualities differ from that of ESTJs?

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I never thought the day would come that we at TypoC would receive multiple active ESFJs each responding in unison!

^_^ ESFJs showing their sexiness *fans self*

Edit: And how did you know you were ESFJ? What makes you question your Fe-domness, if you question it?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Now if only we could get the same phenomenon for all of the ESTJs, as they seem even less popular in Typology groups...

Um, I think I'm a bit more patient and compassionate in leadership than an ESTJ. I'm also probably a lot less likely to get frustrated with everyone and just do it myself.

I mean, after you're done trying to appear normal and sane xDDD You may look one way to others, but when you're alone or away from any social influences, maybe you feel like a completely different person? ...idk. I realize that doesn't make sense lol. How about an example: So when you're at school you're super friendly and you seem jovial, but as soon as you get home and it's like that friendly person never even existed and a whole other you comes out. Does that happen to you?

Ah, got it. Well, I think my roommates would attest the fact that I am essentially the person around others and them. Granted, I think your perception of an ESFJ might be this sugary sweet and giggly type friendly, and that's not me. I'm more sassy, sarcastic, and outgoing. I think when I get home I'm probably a bit more uninhibited regarding what I say, but I don't think there is any change in perspective or personality. I'm pretty comfortable being myself.

I don't think I would have ever consciously answered "yes" to this question. But, if you had asked me a few years ago my actions probably would have said "yes." I live with two INFPs, an INTJ, and one of my good friends is an INTP. So, imposition of personal beliefs doesn't generally go over very well. However, if it's something safety or common sense related, then absolutely. I can deal with the annoyed looks sarcastic responses if my obnoxious will keep something bad from happening.

Sakedon

MBTI Type
ESFJ

My dad is an ESTJ, he never stops being the leader. As a father he has to be the alpha male of the family. If you do a job with him, he has to be the boss. You will always be the assistant. He feels he has the best ideas to get things done, and can only be out-convinced of this line of thinking if you bring a solid case to the table. In the end, he will take the credit. Even if you helped. Not sure if any of these are ESTJ patterns or just the way my dad is :p

When I am the leader it's because I've been elected to be the leader by others. I don't consider myself boss of a project unless someone has told me I'm in charge. I like to talk to everyone to get their opinions and I like to weigh what I feel is the best approach to do something based on mutual decision and my own gut feeling. I will check in a lot, expect progress reports and will "ride your ass" to make sure everyone's deadlines are met and completed to standard. I am aware of my faults, and I welcome other perspectives. When the job is done I will say thank you and make sure everyone receives credit.

How did you know you were ESFJ? What makes you question your Fe-domness, if you question it?
I took a test. My INTJ boyfriend helps to keep my Fe-dom in check. Sometimes he says I'll come home "like a force of nature" and start hurling feelings like hurricane winds. And he makes me stop, and address them, and then decide if they are valid or not given the evidence. Having been together for so long I'm more aware of when my feelings go overboard now and can deal with the 'logical cool down' process on my own. He has taught me well.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Edit: And how did you know you were ESFJ? What makes you question your Fe-domness, if you question it?

I took a test, but got ExFJ. I've definitely never questioned my Fe-dom. I looooove to talk about feeling, mine and other peoples. Probably why I want to be therapist.

But, I have questioned the S quite a bit. I think this is really due to some of the stereotypes that I have been exposed to on the forum. I became convinced that being a feminist who likes to plan for the future was incompatible with Si, which I now know isn't true.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13646]Haven[/MENTION] seems to be closer to the type of ESFJ that I know, values harmony and more importantly sensitive to criticism. I wonder how far I am from getting my ass chewed off :D

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=13646]Haven[/MENTION] seems to be closer to the type of ESFJ that I know, values harmony and more importantly sensitive to criticism. I wonder how far I am from getting my ass chewed off :D

I am pretty sensitive to criticism, especially if it is regarding relationships or how I've treated others. Shame is generally my emotional response to being criticized.

But, what I am even more sensitive too than criticism is exclusion. I hate to be left out. It always feels intentional, even when it isn't. This is something I have really had to work on. Constantly reminding myself it isn't always personal, sometimes it just happens.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am pretty sensitive to criticism, especially if it is regarding relationships or how I've treated others. Shame is generally my emotional response to being criticized.

But, what I am even more sensitive too than criticism is exclusion. I hate to be left out. It always feels intentional, even when it isn't. This is something I have really had to work on. Constantly reminding myself it isn't always personal, sometimes it just happens.

That's new to me, I never picked up on that before. When you take a bathroom break, is it quick or do you take your time?