User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

Thread: Ask an ESFJ

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DreamBeliever View Post
    When I hear ESFJ one thing that comes to my mind is "popular girl/boy" (at least the younger ones, say high school). I was wondering what you guys think about this stereotype? Does it hold any truth? Was it always easy (having Fe first in your functions stack) for you to make friends?
    It definitely wasn't true for me. I was definitely a dork in high school. I was a well-dressed dork, but still a bit socially inept. I had friends for sure, but they were all in band (nothing wrong with being in band!) and similarly nerdy. The difference was, this bothered me, but not them. I always wanted cooler friends, for lack of a better word. Eventually senior year I ended up kind of merging into the school paper crowd, which was nice. I'm still close with a few of the others though.

It think it's worth mentioning that I tested a pretty strong "T" in high school too. It wasn't until sophomore year of college that I started typing ESFJ.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Do you gossip alot? Are you loud all of the time? Do you ever need time to withdraw? How often do you think you use Ne? Does it help to guide you socially, or do you ignore it in favor of Fe? I mean obviously you use Fe more, but you rely on different functions depending on where you are? If you had to guess, what is your ratio of Fe usage compared to Ne usage?

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    It definitely wasn't true for me. I was definitely a dork in high school. I was a well-dressed dork, but still a bit socially inept. I had friends for sure, but they were all in band (nothing wrong with being in band!) and similarly nerdy. The difference was, this bothered me, but not them. I always wanted cooler friends, for lack of a better word. Eventually senior year I ended up kind of merging into the school paper crowd, which was nice. I'm still close with a few of the others though.

It think it's worth mentioning that I tested a pretty strong "T" in high school too. It wasn't until sophomore year of college that I started typing ESFJ.
    Definitely nothing wrong with being in band! My roomy was in band & choir & I was in choir.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

When I hear ESFJ one thing that comes to my mind is "popular girl/boy" (at least the younger ones, say high school). I was wondering what you guys think about this stereotype? Does it hold any truth? Was it always easy (having Fe first in your functions stack) for you to make friends?
    For reasons unknown to me, I was socially ostracized by my peers in elementary school. I don't know why, but I was picked on a lot, all the way from kindergarten until I entered high school and was able to meet new peers. I had friends, of course--that small handful of students who did not care about "social appearances"--and I love them. I'm still friends with all of them today. I wouldn't say it's easy for me to make friends (I get along with everyone, but because of how I was treated by my peers back then it's really hard for me to establish new lasting relationships), but I'm definitely open to the idea of being friends with pretty much anyone. It's almost kind of sad, I really want more friends but I haven't made any friends since high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Do you gossip alot? Are you loud all of the time? Do you ever need time to withdraw? How often do you think you use Ne? Does it help to guide you socially, or do you ignore it in favor of Fe? I mean obviously you use Fe more, but you rely on different functions depending on where you are? If you had to guess, what is your ratio of Fe usage compared to Ne usage?
    I try not to gossip, but usually if one of my friends or something brings something up I'll go along with it. I tend to just "go with the flow" of the conversation, even if it makes me kind of uncomfortable. I have noticed that I do talk loudly. I was in theatre in high school and had no problem projecting my voice across the room even without a mic lol. When I get too excited I get really loud and I get really self-conscious about it tbh because I feel like I'm bothering people.

I think everyone needs at least some time to withdraw. After a stressful day, I like to go home and just chill in my room. Although, I do sometimes type as ISFJ just because I don't have a lot of energy, so keep that in mind. Social interaction usually only drains me if it's with strangers. Being with friends is relaxing to me, but even then, I need my down time--mostly because I have a bunch of shows and things to catch up on though lol.

I would say I have a pretty good grasp on my Ne. I have a wide variety of hobbies, but am only really interested in a handful at a time. I'll go on binges of specific video games or shows, do nothing but that for a few days, and then suddenly drop it for something more exciting. I'll get this grand idea for a minecraft city or something, work on it religiously for a week, and then stop playing completely because I want to play a different game. I'll go back to the city one day--I just have a mind that works in "cycles" when it comes to my hobbies Although, occasionally my Ne will freak out on me when I'm super stressed out and cause me to panic over the future, almost like inferior Ne. This only happens when I'm in a really bad place, stress-wise or depression-wise. Most of the time, my Ne just acts as a way to bounce from game to game or show to show.

I would also say that my Fe would override my Ne every time in social situations. Fe comes more naturally to me. Fe is what I am constantly using to view the world and other people. Ne only really comes out during playtime/for fun. Regardless of where I am or what I'm doing, Fe pretty much always comes first. My Fe mostly manifests like this: How is this person feeling, is there anything I can be doing to help them, would they appreciate this joke or should I hold my tongue, do they look like they wouldn't mind chit chat or should I leave them alone, etc. I will do anything I can to make sure the social atmosphere is friendly and positive.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description

Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    For reasons unknown to me, I was socially ostracized by my peers in elementary school. I don't know why, but I was picked on a lot, all the way from kindergarten until I entered high school and was able to meet new peers. I had friends, of course--that small handful of students who did not care about "social appearances"--and I love them. I'm still friends with all of them today. I wouldn't say it's easy for me to make friends (I get along with everyone, but because of how I was treated by my peers back then it's really hard for me to establish new lasting relationships), but I'm definitely open to the idea of being friends with pretty much anyone. It's almost kind of sad, I really want more friends but I haven't made any friends since high school.

I try not to gossip, but usually if one of my friends or something brings something up I'll go along with it. I tend to just "go with the flow" of the conversation, even if it makes me kind of uncomfortable. I have noticed that I do talk loudly. I was in theatre in high school and had no problem projecting my voice across the room even without a mic lol. When I get too excited I get really loud and I get really self-conscious about it tbh because I feel like I'm bothering people.

I think everyone needs at least some time to withdraw. After a stressful day, I like to go home and just chill in my room. Although, I do sometimes type as ISFJ just because I don't have a lot of energy, so keep that in mind. Social interaction usually only drains me if it's with strangers. Being with friends is relaxing to me, but even then, I need my down time--mostly because I have a bunch of shows and things to catch up on though lol.

I would say I have a pretty good grasp on my Ne. I have a wide variety of hobbies, but am only really interested in a handful at a time. I'll go on binges of specific video games or shows, do nothing but that for a few days, and then suddenly drop it for something more exciting. I'll get this grand idea for a minecraft city or something, work on it religiously for a week, and then stop playing completely because I want to play a different game. I'll go back to the city one day--I just have a mind that works in "cycles" when it comes to my hobbies Although, occasionally my Ne will freak out on me when I'm super stressed out and cause me to panic over the future, almost like inferior Ne. This only happens when I'm in a really bad place, stress-wise or depression-wise. Most of the time, my Ne just acts as a way to bounce from game to game or show to show.

I would also say that my Fe would override my Ne every time in social situations. Fe comes more naturally to me. Fe is what I am constantly using to view the world and other people. Ne only really comes out during playtime/for fun. Regardless of where I am or what I'm doing, Fe pretty much always comes first. My Fe mostly manifests like this: How is this person feeling, is there anything I can be doing to help them, would they appreciate this joke or should I hold my tongue, do they look like they wouldn't mind chit chat or should I leave them alone, etc. I will do anything I can to make sure the social atmosphere is friendly and positive.
    I get along easily with most people too, but I got picked on (mostly by kids on the bus) when I started school my first couple of years in preschool/kindergarten, so I relate. Most of the rest of elementary school seemed ok for me, minus a few kids here & there. 6th grade was AWFUL for me with bullied, though. The rest of middle school was better & high school was fine. I've come across some pretty nasty people at college, however. I would of hoped people would be more mature by then, but I've meet some 20 something year olds that act more like 10-14 year olds. lol I just wondered, since it seems I always only have about 2 close friends at any given moment.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

I get along easily with most people too, but I got picked on (mostly by kids on the bus) when I started school my first couple of years in preschool/kindergarten, so I relate. Most of the rest of elementary school seemed ok for me, minus a few kids here & there. 6th grade was AWFUL for me with bullied, though. The rest of middle school was better & high school was fine. I've come across some pretty nasty people at college, however. I would of hoped people would be more mature by then, but I've meet some 20 something year olds that act more like 10-14 year olds. lol I just wondered, since it seems I always only have about 2 close friends at any given moment.
    Yeah, most of elementary school was fine for me too since I wasn't physically bullied at least. High school got better because there were new people who didn't know about the apparent "Riley is weird don't talk to him" conspiracy (lol) and I met a lot of wonderful friends there. For the record, I only went to community college, but I was appalled at how many people could be so immature.

I would also say I only have about 2-3 close friends, but I've got a good handful of others who I care about quite a lot. Most of my friends are ISTJs, there are a couple INTJs, and I have an absolute sweetheart of an ISFJ close friend who is like a literal angel, and I can't wait for her to come back from college for the summer (I'm in Arizona and she went to Washington for school). My closest friend is going to the local in-town university. He's an ISTJ. We get along fabulously.
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description
    Likes DreamBeliever liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Since I am an ENFJ I tend to get ESFJ's fairly well and we share a lot of common ground. However there is one area I have noticed a difference: flying by the seat of your pants. As such I want to ask about ESFJ's here's prospective on this.

What I mean by "flying by the seat of your pants" is being forced to roll with things. By and large, both ENFJ's and ESFJ's want things to be planned and easily forecasted, but it's impossible to know everything beforehand. Both will start to freak out and pitch a fit as impending uncertainty closes in. However, when I hit it and start entering those moments where you can't plan, I sort of just "roll with it" and start working through it in real time. Effectively, defaulting to Se. I don't desire to do it, but it's like I step outside of myself, and start witnessing myself do actions and go through moments without actually thinking about it. It's like a little man climbs inside of my head and starts running me like a robot, doing all the thinking for me. I'll just sort of "get it" and get this feeling of "it will work out" and in hindsight understand why I did what I did, but never while it's actively happening. Somehow things often do "magically work out".

ESFJ's tend not to like doing that, and are actually bad at doing it when they try. That said, they're also equally fine in "going with it" when they have to, but approach it differently and do it differently (I assume by defaulting to Ne, which is a function I can't relate to even just a little bit). As such, when shit hits the fan, you can't plan, and you just have to "do it", how do you do it? Further, is it any at all like what I describe for myself above. If not, what are the primary differences.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Since I am an ENFJ I tend to get ESFJ's fairly well and we share a lot of common ground. However there is one area I have noticed a difference: flying by the seat of your pants. As such I want to ask about ESFJ's here's prospective on this.

What I mean by "flying by the seat of your pants" is being forced to roll with things. By and large, both ENFJ's and ESFJ's want things to be planned and easily forecasted, but it's impossible to know everything beforehand. Both will start to freak out and pitch a fit as impending uncertainty closes in. However, when I hit it and start entering those moments where you can't plan, I sort of just "roll with it" and start working through it in real time. Effectively, defaulting to Se. I don't desire to do it, but it's like I step outside of myself, and start witnessing myself do actions and go through moments without actually thinking about it. It's like a little man climbs inside of my head and starts running me like a robot, doing all the thinking for me. I'll just sort of "get it" and get this feeling of "it will work out" and in hindsight understand why I did what I did, but never while it's actively happening. Somehow things often do "magically work out".

ESFJ's tend not to like doing that, and are actually bad at doing it when they try. That said, they're also equally fine in "going with it" when they have to, but approach it differently and do it differently (I assume by defaulting to Ne, which is a function I can't relate to even just a little bit). As such, when shit hits the fan, you can't plan, and you just have to "do it", how do you do it? Further, is it any at all like what I describe for myself above. If not, what are the primary differences.
    I definitely hate situations like these. They stress me out. My thinking during these times basically boils down to me trying to give myself pathetic pep talks like "It's going to be over eventually, you'll get to go home and sleep and tomorrow things might be better," etc. After graduating high school and being thrust into the adult world I experienced this a lot, from starting college to finding my first job etc. Since Si is practically useless in situations like these (that's why they're unknown situations, right? Si has nothing to help me out with), I have to rely on Ne and Ti and both are weaknesses for me in stressful situations. I have to keep careful control of my Ne to prevent myself from going into "here are 500 different ways this can go wrong" panic mode. Basically, if it's a situation I don't know how to handle and Si can't help me... maybe Ne can, by trying to brainstorm as many different ways out of the situation as possible. This can be positive or negative. Come up with a bunch of options, predict their outcomes and where they will lead, try to pick the best one... Being carried through situations like these in real-time with no plan and no past experience to guide me basically feel like rip currents. Desperately trying to get out but there's literally nothing to be done and you HAVE to be dragged along so you have to do something, but completely unwillingly. So tertiary Ne can be a blessing or a curse depending on how it's used. Once I develop and mature it more, I'm sure in situations like these, rather than acting kind of like inferior Ne that sees all that can go wrong, it'll help lift me and clarify the situation and predict what I need to do in order to solve the problem and move on.

Don't know if it's like that for other ESFJs, but that's what I do.
    Last edited by yama; 04-19-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: added some clarification
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description
    Likes EJCC, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^ That's pretty much how it works for ESTJs too, for the record -- defaulting to Ne, and choosing what makes marginally the most precedent-based sense from all the Ne options.

Not all ESTJs are like this, and I don't know if ESFJs are like this at all, but in brand new situations, my immediate instinct is to either do research, or ask for input. Unless the situation was urgent, or I was embarrassed, I'd probably be more likely to ask for feedback, or do research, than I would be to resort to tertiary Ne. Better to do a little extra work to find out the "right" way, than poorly attempt to "wing it" and screw up. (That is, unless we're talking about a situation in which Ne use would be fun and low risk.)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Hard, yama liked this post

Injustice Needs To stoP RandomINTP's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx

@Showbread
    (just to get your attention in case you haven't subscribed to the thread)

Do you laugh with your friends for no particular reason other than to be social?
    MBTI:
    Alignment: Chaotic-Neutral
    Sins: Pride > Sloth > Gluttony > Wrath > Greed > Lust > Envy

"Only two things are infinite. The universe, and human stupidity, but I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -Dr. Seuss
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -J. K. Rowling