User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram

Default Hey ISTJ's, are you funny?

I was recently talking to some folk about ISTJ's, and they were saying ISTJ's are boring and lame. But I have a few ISTJ friends who often tickle me with their weird ISTJ humour. When I brought that up, someone tried to argue that ISTJ's CAN be funny, but they don't tend to be, since don't value humour as much as other types and have inferior Ne. The subject changed after that, but I was left with doubts...

So I have a few questions for ISTJ's:

1. Can you be funny?
    2. Do you value humour, or even pride yourself on your wit?
    3. Would you describe yourself as funny (is it a major part of who you are)?
    4. What's your sense of humour like? What kind of jokes do you like to hear/tell, what kind of shows do you watch, who are your favourite comedians, etc.

I also open the floor for non-ISTJ's to tell me about their experience with humour and ISTJ's.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

1. Can you be funny? Well, sometimes. Usually people don't find me funny, but rather, amusing because of all my weird quirks. I am laughed at for saying things that I don't even intend to be funny, but apparently they are. I also love facts, so I am constantly telling people super random - sometimes wrong - things, and that makes them laugh, but I would not say I'm funny.

2. Do you value humor? YES. I love laughing with/at people - even myself. I love people who are constantly making jokes about things, because I can be quite serious and cynical, so it's nice to be lighthearted for a change. I am not good at telling jokes though, because I end up mixing up my words/thoughts. I tend to think about a lot of things at once, so by the time I've started a joke, I'm not thinking about it anymore (if that makes sense). Probably some anxiety in there too.

3. Would you describe yourself as funny? No, because of reasons aforementioned.

4. What's your sense of humor like? I'm not sure...I laugh at a wide range of things...
    What kind of jokes do you like to hear/tell? I really love internet humor, probably because it's so stupid, but somehow true. The problem is they don't always translate well out loud so well.

Another point I would like to mention is that I am a very literal person, so sometimes I don't pick up on sarcasm or jokes. I end up defending myself, and the person just laughs at me...

MBTI
    ISTJ

1. Can you be funny?
    Yes, but generally it's when I'm not trying to be.
    I value humor highly, and I find the people I most enjoy spending time with are the ones who can make me laugh. I don't consider myself to be an overly witty person, but I do like it when I manage to say things that are witty.
    As said above, I'm generally funnier when I'm not trying to be. I find people acting surprised at my humor fairly often, but never when I'm actually intending to be humorous.
    4. What's your sense of humour like? What kind of jokes do you like to hear/tell, what kind of shows do you watch, who are your favourite comedians, etc.
    I have a very dry, sarcastic style of humor. I think this is what lends itself to unintentional humor. I don't really ever tell jokes. When it comes to comedy, I like shows that are either witty or dry, such as Gilmore Girls or The Office. I don't tend to seek out comedians. I often enjoy them when others take me to see them, but it's not a form of entertainment I care much for myself.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

My ex husband was funny ish. We didn't always have the same sense of humor but I feel like he enjoyed humor a lot. I feel like he was pretty easy to laugh in social situations.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I allegedly am quite funny and have a very dry sense of humor.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

My experience with ISTJs is that they're not likely to be class-clown types and they're more likely to be found telling a joke they learned previously than improvising funny banter on the spot — whereas I'm more prone to be an on-the-spot wiseass.

And I concur with two of the previous posters that ISTJs tend to have a "dry" sense of humor.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

To me, there's an important distinction as to "a time and a place" to be funny. There's a time for humor and a time for seriousness. Or as Kiersey says, "work time and play time" that ISTJs separate. So if the person who says "ISTJs can't be funny" is a joker-type thinking of the times their ISTJ coworker told them to please focus and be serious when they were trying to finish a project at work/school/something, their perspective is situation-specific. Compounded with the way we often don't show emotions as vividly as others....
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

1. Can you be funny?
    Absolutely! I'm hilarious!

I don't always have idols, but when I do, they are (intelligent) comedians.

Yes, being humorous is a large part of my persona. I use it to turn life's downs into ups.

Silly. Something like Conan O'Brian or Monty Python. But it's important to me that people are making fun of themselves, or "us" (as members of a larger group). I don't like making fun of others.

To me humor is an important part of anyone's persona, and I don't like people who are too serious. On the other hand, I don't like disruptive (something that creates chaos, like throwing food around the room) or attention seeking (mostly what Jim Carrey does, although he's still pretty funny at times) humor either. Witty remarks and contradictions are my thing. Especially if there's some hidden insight or wisdom attached.

Also, I don't do or like jokes. I just think they are lame. To me, humor is much more situtational and personal.

I think good example of my kind of humor would be this:
    I'm having a discussion with at work: "...but that's just me. I'm a control freak." then casually point towards pile of gamepads on my desk (there's at least half-a-dozen game controllers).
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

My ISTJ best friend is one of the funniest people I've ever met. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...DeadpanSnarker
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

My family friend is ISTJ 1w9 sp/so and even though that stereotypically sounds really boring and dry he laughs a lot and is always one for humor and comedic relief. I'd say he's more about movement and motion than speech when he's trying to be funny and it usually works. His humor also comes in the way he points out logical fails and stuff like that. Oh, and inside jokes or things about him that only we'd understand. I'd say he's well-integrated into 7 too which helps. I'm not sure if he would describe himself as funny, though. Silly, yes, but I wonder how he assesses himself when it comes to being funny. Maybe not, because he's so used to taking charge or being the leader whenever he's with me and his siblings.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so