User Tag List

123 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default Are SJ's more normal or less unique than the rest of the types?

Continuing this discussion:

Did you really just say SJs are not unique individuals?
    Not as unique as other types, by my concept of unique. I don't expect you to agree, and I could be wrong, but my experience has been that they're almost all really normal people in most ways.
    @greenfairy, When it is said that way, it sounds like if I know one infj then I know you. So why bother talking to you at all when I have that other one.
    I'm speaking in generalities, not saying all people are a certain way. I'm atypical of INFJ's in some ways, but it's still true that most INFJ's have those traits.
    Then INFJs aren't unique individuals either. Or, they are, just like SJs, and simply less numerous percentage-wise.
    Yeah. Also, if the SJ's parents were that way, that would also influence them.
    Yes fully agree about parents. I also think Je likes it when things work in a cohesive structure, and SJ types of course have Je.
    Particularly, I was saying that SJ's are less unique than other types. This sounds like a stereotype. Is it true or false? In what way, and for what reasons? I don't think there is any reason to think a priori that it is false, unless we are attaching value to uniqueness, which I'm not. I think the bolded comes closest to the truth if you define normal by being statistically common, believe that people of the same temperament have many of the same qualities, that these translate into other things which define more broad commonalities, and that there are more SJ's in the population. If these things are true then it would follow that SJ's are more normal because they are most like each other and they are most numerous, hence contributing greatly to what is normal in the first place.

Thoughts?

@digesthisickness @Marmotini @Lark @cafe @tinker683

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Ok, really not trying to be a jerk, but the before this takes off, I feel like the question might need to be tweaked.

I'm not usually one to throw these kinds of things at people, but when I read the question, I really had a hard time thinking about what it even meant.

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000269.htm
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Ok, really not trying to be a jerk, but the before this takes off, I feel like the question might need to be tweaked.

I'm not usually one to throw these kinds of things at people, but when I read the question, I really had a hard time thinking about what it even meant.

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000269.htm
    Ah! You learn something new every day.

I'm not implying that an SJ individual is not unique, because that would mean they had an identical copy...

I don't know how to better phrase it though. How would language capture my meaning? By "unique" I mean possessing a high number of characteristics which taken together constitute a personality which is very uncommon. It's more than the summation of characteristics.

Of course everyone's personality is more than the summation of their characteristics, but some sets of characteristics are way more common than others and so their overall personalities would be more similar to each other than to ones whose characteristics are less common.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't think they are less unique. Perhaps, though, they may value social conventions (which can be highly variable) to a greater degree than other types, which may make them appear more uniform on the surface.

You can be conventional in some areas and less so in others. My family is pretty damn conventional on the surface in a lot of ways, but five of the six of us are INs. We're nerdy and politically liberal for our geographic area and socio-eco group, but we're still working class mid-westerners and to an outsider, a sheep would likely look like any other sheep.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Yes lol.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Ah! You learn something new every day.

I'm not implying that an SJ individual is not unique, because that would mean they had an identical copy...

I don't know how to better phrase it though. How would language capture my meaning? By "unique" I mean possessing a high number of characteristics which taken together constitute a personality which is very uncommon. It's more than the summation of characteristics.

Of course everyone's personality is more than the summation of their characteristics, but some sets of characteristics are way more common than others and so their overall personalities would be more similar to each other than to ones whose characteristics are less common.
    I totally get what you mean about sheer numbers. There are fewer INFJs than any other type, and definitely fewer than all SJ types. That would make INFJs a more exclusive group by nature. And yeah, they share their INFJ-ness in common. And, there are shared characteristics with SJ types (but there are lots of SJ types, so they're definitely all colored differently).

I also thought you might be talking about conventionality. Like SJs are more prone to having conventional interests or preferences or even belief systems and ways of thinking.

But I think the problem with the word unique is that every single person is unique. And having less conventional or more obscure interests or tendencies doesn't make you more unique than any SJ.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

There are certainly patterns associated with certain types. I think, however, that the ones we have associated with SJs are off and inaccurate. There are individuals who throw off these patterns for any type, however I think the pattern ascribed to SJs is not even close to being correct. The association with political conservatism is bunk, although perhaps it might be true for many of the SJs you have known personally. I would be quicker to associate SJs with being "conservative"' in a non-political sense.

SJ's may, however, define the characteristics of a culture of group, however. That's a very interesting theory, that the presence of a single set of character traits or interests associated with a specific group is due to the SJs holding on to those. There might be something to that.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

your resident asshole

Oh Lawdy.

If everyone is unique, then who really is?

You N's are pretty average yourselves.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Continuing this discussion:

Particularly, I was saying that SJ's are less unique than other types. This sounds like a stereotype. Is it true or false? In what way, and for what reasons? I don't think there is any reason to think a priori that it is false, unless we are attaching value to uniqueness, which I'm not. I think the bolded comes closest to the truth if you define normal by being statistically common, believe that people of the same temperament have many of the same qualities, that these translate into other things which define more broad commonalities, and that there are more SJ's in the population. If these things are true then it would follow that SJ's are more normal because they are most like each other and they are most numerous, hence contributing greatly to what is normal in the first place.

Thoughts?

@digesthisickness @Marmotini @Lark @cafe @tinker683
    Sherlock Holmes has a ubiquitous type?

I wonder how Conan Doyle pulled that off? I mean hero of the tale? And that series ran and ran and ran, inspired many imitators, launched an entire genre of writing more or less, with a ubiquitous character type in the lead? Conan Doyle, what a guy.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    If everyone is unique, then who really is?

You N's are pretty average yourselves.
    To everyone:

Nobody is unique. Individuals do not exist. Your favorite band is irrelevant as to my assessment of your character. You may have put different letters in your MBTI description, but I can guess with probably 90% certainty what your last three MBTI letters are. Prepare for assimilation into soulless Ti.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78