MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    You can still be a special snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Stupid people are fucking stupid.
    I like this quote a lot. But yeah, I don't think this is type related. Degrees of "normalcy" is a little subjective itself, and then it will vary from person to person regardless of type.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The mystery of true back woods Southern people is that they do not want to be normal. Even the most nauseating SJ beaurecratic Southern people do not want to mesh with the rest of you, and the truly SP and N Southern people are completely different eccentric...I even think of the traditional on paper South as SFJ but honestly the whole business really seems ISTP to me or some thing. People hiding from you shooting things in the woods, refusing to conform and yet having a latent streak of grudgingly, almost instinctive unthinking traditions and respect.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    Actually, she was correct on a number of levels.

First of all, her title gives credit to each individual personality type as being unique from each other, some less unique than others and some more unique than others. You can certainly subject uniqueness to gradation. It's an arbitrary system of gradation, but everything is arbitrary.

Second of all, literal definition (denotation) doesn't drive language. Denotation is the word when studied in how it's been used, and historically how it's been interpreted to mean. Connotation is the driving mechanism of language, since it's the way the word is used in practical conversation, which is what denotation is studying. And since language moves so fast, even the best efforts (which there certainly have been in the past) can't keep up with the evolution of language. So of course dictionaries aren't up to date, since the way a word is being used popularly only just then gets added to the long list of words waiting to be updated.

Unique as a word has been drawn into meaning something that has peculiar or non-typical qualities, unlike it's past definition of being one-of-a-kind. Its structural grammar was correct, and I'm not sure how you could be unsure of what the meaning is. She clearly set up "unique" as a juxtaposition to "normal", so if you can understand "more normal", why can't you understand that "less unique" is opposite of "more normal"? That's how English works. And English doesn't favor people whose brains are rigid on meanings, so... you're gonna have a bad time.

To the OP:

I think it has more to do with the fact that the SJ population is larger than the SJ population being more normal. Normality in a society is driven by the characteristics of the members of the population, and since SJs comprise more of the population, they're therefor more normal. If NFs were the larger percent of the population, they'd be more normal, since the norm would be skewed towards them.

And like other people have said, they're the drivers of our societies. It's an SJ that's more likely to go into administration or management at some point, and they're the doers who get systems in motion. I think we give "normal" too much weight as "boring". I'm not saying SJs aren't boring (I've met some that are boring as all fuck). But if we didn't have SJs in our society, we'd be screwed. I wouldn't take my mom as any type other than ESFJ, even if we have some core misunderstandings. And it was my ESTJ grandmother that raised my mom, and owned three businesses and was a bank teller and real estate agent. If I need something sewn or something cooked, it's my grandmother I'll go to. Sure, she might think 7/10 paintings in our city's art museum are ugly and meaningless, or that scientists have gone off the deep end with their research on the travel habits of sea cucumbers, but if a store doesn't give us credit for a sale that's going on, she's a pit bull like neither me more my mom can be. She once shook her cane at a judge over a parking ticket.

It takes all types. Normality is a moot point. It's the minority (the unique ones) that has to do constant upkeep on uniqueness as a positive attribute. In Japan and Norway it's something horrible to be.
    Actually English is a pretty rigid language. Eastern European people have described it to me as "like a puzzle" and in linguistics I was taught that English is a handy dandy scientific language because of its straight forward simplicity. It lacks emotional complexity. It's great for rigid people. Like the English. And German immigrants.

I love the part about your ESTJ grandma, though.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

@tkae., I know what you're saying, and I agree with you in a lot of ways. Language is alive and word meaning changes on the streets and on the internet. I consider myself a linguistic descriptivist, so normally I'd be on the other side of this argument defending "what is" in language against "what should be".

My problem with the question was the assumed connotation of both "unique" and "normal". If we're going based on assumed mutual understanding of the connotations of those words, I think there's bound to be a lot of misunderstanding on both accounts. The word "normal" can mean a lot of different things to different people too. Probably more so than "unique". Also, it probably wouldn't have bothered me if there weren't more specific words we could be using to talk about those things (I offered a few that would have taken the question in distinct directions). I wasn't blaming OP for not using them, but simply asking that we think about the question we're asking and try to define it in clearer terms.

Word choice matters. Words mean things. It's fine to go with connotations, but when you're presenting a question to a forum, I think greater semantic precision will result in a clearer, more fruitful argument. The narrower the meaning of a word, the more clearly ideas are conveyed.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    @tkae., I know what you're saying, and I agree with you in a lot of ways. Language is alive and word meaning changes on the streets and on the internet. I consider myself a linguistic descriptivist, so normally I'd be on the other side of this argument defending "what is" in language against "what should be".

My problem with the question was the assumed connotation of both "unique" and "normal". If we're going based on assumed mutual understanding of the connotations of those words, I think there's bound to be a lot of misunderstanding on both accounts. The word "normal" can mean a lot of different things to different people too. Probably more so than "unique". Also, it probably wouldn't have bothered me if there weren't more specific words we could be using to talk about those things (I offered a few that would have taken the question in distinct directions). I wasn't blaming OP for not using them, but simply asking that we think about the question we're asking and try to define it in clearer terms.

Word choice matters. Words mean things. It's fine to go with connotations, but when you're presenting a question to a forum, I think greater semantic precision will result in a clearer, more fruitful argument. The narrower the meaning of a word, the more clearly ideas are conveyed.
    Preach sister! Also, dear lord, you wake up so early!
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

They may look at the world in similar ways- but I'm surrounded by tons of them- each one as unique as the other.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

oops
    Last edited by AzulEyes; 11-06-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: double post
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    The mystery of true back woods Southern people is that they do not want to be normal. Even the most nauseating SJ beaurecratic Southern people do not want to mesh with the rest of you, and the truly SP and N Southern people are completely different eccentric...I even think of the traditional on paper South as SFJ but honestly the whole business really seems ISTP to me or some thing. People hiding from you shooting things in the woods, refusing to conform and yet having a latent streak of grudgingly, almost instinctive unthinking traditions and respect.
    Haha. Weirdly enough I think this is true.

And pagans are an "interesting" bunch...

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

It's the word "unique" that bugs me. It's the wrong word, I think. Who the hell wants to think they're not unique? Who says, "I'm an idiot who can't think for themselves and only do what others do blindly, and I'm PROUD!"

There are more of them. Majority rules in many cases. Therefore, they are heavily involved in what becomes tradition and the proper way of doing things. And, in many cases, they're absolutely right in doing so. Thanks to them, I have to pull my ass out of bed on Christmas to do the family thing and every time, I'm glad of it. Why is this even a question? Doesn't every book on typing say this? Does it really need to be argued/debated?

Doesn't matter about type. Individuals are individuals. Genius jailbirds and stupid millionaires. It is what it is.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

It's the word "unique" that bugs me. It's the wrong word, I think. Who the hell wants to think they're not unique? Who says, "I'm an idiot who can't think for themselves and only do what others do blindly, and I'm PROUD!"

There are more of them. Majority rules in many cases. Therefore, they are heavily involved in what becomes tradition and the proper way of doing things. And, in many cases, they're absolutely right in doing so. Thanks to them, I have to pull my ass out of bed on Christmas to do the family thing and every time, I'm glad of it. Why is this even a question? Doesn't every book on typing say this? Does it really need to be argued/debated?

Doesn't matter about type. Individuals are individuals. Genius jailbirds and stupid millionaires. It is what it is.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery