The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Default Exactly what is Si-dom like?

As an Ne-dom, I picture Si-dom being very conservative, serious, traditional, austere, lawful, and uncomfortable with change. Am I correct?
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Infinite Bubble

That's kind of a boring description of it, and unfortunately a common one due to the consequence of it being the least romanticised function. In fact, the closest function to it is Ni; the most romanticised one of them all. Si is subjective sensory impressions, so it is probably, in Jungian terms, the archetypal painter/artist function. Impressionist paintings are a nicer way to represent the function than the usual descriptions of them being boring, sheep-like dullards.

The reason why they can be sensitive to change and sometimes be traditionalists/conservatives is because they accumulate all this past data and they come to rely on it. If it is new, it isn't stored yet, so it can't be trusted. But that doesn't mean in any way that the outcome of that has to be the crappy boring stereotypes we've all heard of. They can have interesting and nontraditonal views too, just like anyone else - that is more dependant on other factors, such as their personality, the exact data that has actually been accumulated (which may very well be "esoteric"), and the environment.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    As an Ne-dom, I picture Si-dom being very conservative, serious, traditional, austere, lawful, and uncomfortable with change. Am I correct?
    I can be all of those things all at once...but usually only a few at a time and only with select things.

I'm usually pretty conservative in how I go about my daily life, very serious at work (except with some of my employees, then I can get goofy), I'm only traditional in the sense that I try to adhere to whatever philosophical/political/spiritual ideas I hold as 'traditionally' as I can. Austere and Lawful I would say I am usually all the time and with change it entirely depends: I don't like changing routines at work, but I QUICKLY embrace change with technology because I love gadgets and things that go 'beep!' :>

But..no, to try and answer your question, I would say picture going through your lie like a with everything being a set of routines that you've established (with some wiggle room for the inevitably chaotic nature of life) and making sure you feel very safe before trying something drastic (like moving to a new place or something).
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    That's kind of a boring description of it, and unfortunately a common one due to the consequence of it being the least romanticised function. In fact, the closest function to it is Ni; the most romanticised one of them all. Si is subjective sensory impressions, so it is probably, in Jungian terms, the archetypal painter/artist function. Impressionist paintings are a nicer way to represent the function than the usual descriptions of them being boring, sheep-like dullards.

The reason why they can be sensitive to change and sometimes be traditionalists/conservatives is because they accumulate all this past data and they come to rely on it. If it is new, it isn't stored yet, so it can't be trusted. But that doesn't mean in any way that the outcome of that has to be the crappy boring stereotypes we've all heard of. They can have interesting and nontraditonal views too, just like anyone else - that is more dependant on other factors, such as their personality, the exact data that has actually been accumulated (which may very well be "esoteric"), and the environment.
    Right before my art class, I have a study-hall period. Since things get kind of boring once I'm done with everything, I find people to talk to. I was speaking to an ISFJ in person recently, and originally mistyped them as ENFP. I was intrigued, and then introduced them to MBTI. At first, the questions I used to confirm ENFP worked: (Do you do things based on how you feel about them? Do you enjoy art?)

That's when things started looking very different...

I mentioned that when I took the mandatory careers test, it said I would function best as a theme park designer. I got excited talking about how I would be designing whole new worlds and would constantly be traveling the world because travel is required to keep steady work. She asked why I would want to travel the world instead of sticking in my small rural hometown where things are familiar. I told her that being able to see all kinds of different cultures would be a blessing to me, and on top of that, to give them a land of pure joy...it would be priceless. He response was "Sounds scary..."

At this point, I brought MBTI back up, since I had only discussed it briefly before going to a new topic. I asked her to read ENFP, but she didn't relate. I then showed her ISTJ, and she said that is was close. I finally showed her ISFJ, and she said it was exactly her...

I must just have a bad eye for typology...but she was a creative SJ...
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I can be all of those things all at once...but usually only a few at a time and only with select things.

I'm usually pretty conservative in how I go about my daily life, very serious at work (except with some of my employees, then I can get goofy), I'm only traditional in the sense that I try to adhere to whatever philosophical/political/spiritual ideas I hold as 'traditionally' as I can. Austere and Lawful I would say I am usually all the time and with change it entirely depends: I don't like changing routines at work, but I QUICKLY embrace change with technology because I love gadgets and things that go 'beep!' :>

But..no, to try and answer your question, I would say picture going through your lie like a with everything being a set of routines that you've established (with some wiggle room for the inevitably chaotic nature of life) and making sure you feel very safe before trying something drastic (like moving to a new place or something).
    @tinker683
    I think some of this is being an Sp-middle. I guess in my head, I was taking Si to the extreme. I still believe I am ENxP, but I can at least partially relate to a lot of this, especially the philosophy part. It could be how I was raised, though. I was trained to carefully examine the roots of things, and not accept things if the origin is bad. Going into young adulthood, I am relaxing a little, however...
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I'd associate Si more with being old fashioned than anything. The only thing I can appreciate as an Se dom is the fact that they love to live in nature and become one with the environment.

I really like ISFJ's. They don't seem to provide any Se or Ni pleasure at all, but other than that they are rock solid, hard to piss off, easy going as hell, secretly badass, very active, and can be very attractive.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

At my last piano teacher meeting I looked around the room and it dawned on me that almost everyone in the room was either an ISTJ or ISFJ. I do not have a personally strong use of Si, but based on my understanding and my experience being around a lot of people who use Si, it seems like it focuses on finding the "best" way. It has a tendency to internalize all the concrete data, but to organize it around a central point, rather than going with the flow externally like Se does. There seems to be a tendency to find the best technique, the best sound, the best brand, the best way to fold a towel, the best sauce, and then to focus on that approach. I believe that Frazier and Niles Crane have been given as examples of strong Si users. I can see people with Si being drawn to tradition, the classic, the ideal and best based on experience and perception. There would be less tendency to be experimental because that involves a lot more failures and approaches that are difficult to evaluate. The tried and true have proven integrity, perfection, and ideal in their approach which is the concept behind traditionalism. Because of this I perceive Si as establishing and perfecting standards while Se explores and inadvertently challenges those standards. Both processes are needed.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

RDF

Comparing Se and Si:
    --Se takes data from the outside world and riffs on it to determine a “best practice” to define values and drive personal behavior.
    --Si internally isolates a limited set of related data and hones it to divine an “essence” or a comparison that explains all the elements.

Example:
    --Se notices someone walking down the street and riffs on their posture, gait, looks, etc. IOW Se likes to work with variety and quantity drawn directly from the world around it.
    --Si sees a friend or family member and immediately notices that he has lost a couple pounds since the last visit, or Si sees a room and can tell you pretty accurately whether a piece of remembered furniture will fit in it. IOW Si compares the present picture to an internal stored picture of the same thing or of a related thing.

In other words:
    --Se is about tinkering: racing through lots of ideas but not necessarily coming to a single conclusion or decision on a given matter. That’s because it’s an extroverted function and you’re looking at it directly, unfiltered by a judging function. (The judging function is introverted and out of sight to the rest of the world.)
    --Si-Dom is about honing things down to their most perfect expression: it likes to get things solidified before speaking up, and then it presents its conclusions as a rule for life, a done deal. That’s partly because it’s an introverted function, and you’re only seeing Si after it has been filtered by a extroverted judging function. The extroverted judging function is what converts Si ruminations into a rule.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    @tinker683
    I think some of this is being an Sp-middle. I guess in my head, I was taking Si to the extreme. I still believe I am ENxP, but I can at least partially relate to a lot of this, especially the philosophy part. It could be how I was raised, though. I was trained to carefully examine the roots of things, and not accept things if the origin is bad. Going into young adulthood, I am relaxing a little, however...
    Well, to be fair, ENTPs are ISFJs in reverse so I imagine we can relate a lot to each other.

And you're very likely right about the Sp thing, I imagine a lot of ISFJs are SO doms/auxs so I imagine I'm in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I'd associate Si more with being old fashioned than anything. The only thing I can appreciate as an Se dom is the fact that they love to live in nature and become one with the environment.
    If by "become one" you mean we try to adapt to our environments rather than forcibly change them, then I can agree to that

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I really like ISFJ's. They don't seem to provide any Se or Ni pleasure at all, but other than that they are rock solid, hard to piss off, easy going as hell, secretly badass, very active, and can be very attractive.
    Thank you!!! ISFJs tend to get along swimmingly with ESTPs from what I understand. My dance partner is an ESTP and we get along *very* well. Her personality plays very well off of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    At my last piano teacher meeting I looked around the room and it dawned on me that almost everyone in the room was either an ISTJ or ISFJ. I do not have a personally strong use of Si, but based on my understanding and my experience being around a lot of people who use Si, it seems like it focuses on finding the "best" way. It has a tendency to internalize all the concrete data, but to organize it around a central point, rather than going with the flow externally like Se does. There seems to be a tendency to find the best technique, the best sound, the best brand, the best way to fold a towel, the best sauce, and then to focus on that approach. I believe that Frazier and Niles Crane have been given as examples of strong Si users. I can see people with Si being drawn to tradition, the classic, the ideal and best based on experience and perception. There would be less tendency to be experimental because that involves a lot more failures and approaches that are difficult to evaluate. The tried and true have proven integrity, perfection, and ideal in their approach which is the concept behind traditionalism. Because of this I perceive Si as establishing and perfecting standards while Se explores and inadvertently challenges those standards. Both processes are needed.
    Interesting, I hadn't looked at it that way but yeah...that makes sense, but then that maybe because of my 1 wing

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Comparing Se and Si:
    --Se takes data from the outside world and riffs on it to determine a “best practice” to define values and drive personal behavior.
    --Si internally isolates a limited set of related data and hones it to divine an “essence” or a comparison that explains all the elements.

Example:
    --Se notices someone walking down the street and riffs on their posture, gait, looks, etc. IOW Se likes to work with variety and quantity drawn directly from the world around it.
    --Si sees a friend or family member and immediately notices that he has lost a couple pounds since the last visit, or Si sees a room and can tell you pretty accurately whether a piece of remembered furniture will fit in it. IOW Si compares the present picture to an internal stored picture of the same thing or of a related thing.

In other words:
    --Se is about tinkering: racing through lots of ideas but not necessarily coming to a single conclusion or decision on a given matter. That’s because it’s an extroverted function and you’re looking at it directly, unfiltered by a judging function. (The judging function is introverted and out of sight to the rest of the world.)
    --Si-Dom is about honing things down to their most perfect expression: it likes to get things solidified before speaking up, and then it presents its conclusions as a rule for life, a done deal. That’s partly because it’s an introverted function, and you’re only seeing Si after it has been filtered by a extroverted judging function. The extroverted judging function is what converts Si ruminations into a rule.
    I can't comment on the Se parts but the Si parts sound very insightful and true, for me at least
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I can't comment on the Se parts but the Si parts sound very insightful and true, for me at least
    Thanks for the feedback.

I tend to view Sensing as a contrast between Si and Se as a result of spending time with my ISTP father (Se-Aux) and ESTJ step-mother (Si-Aux). I see the contrast in their different versions of Sensing, and I see how my parents complement each other (and sometimes get on each other's nerves) by handling details and comparisons in different ways.