First 1234 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Awwwwwwwww…
    <3

ISFJ's are sweet little lambs that I love spending time with…
    So many rich memories to explore…

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

I think I understand Si now:

It is nostalgia, a yearning for what was...
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I think I understand Si now:

It is nostalgia, a yearning for what was...
    For an ENFP, yes. That's exactly how I see it manifest in my ENFP friends.

And collecting! My one friend will keep everything. All of her possessions have meaning. She has lots of mementos. And she is also always yearning for what was.

For an Si dom, there is a lot of referencing the past, for all situations that they encounter. For example, if their favorite food is mac n cheese, they will remember the first time they had it....And every time they ever again have it, they'll remember their first. It's a continuum of cross referencing of all contexts.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

LadyLazarus

From what I've noticed with my ISTJ sister; a bit fixated on tradition, although not resistant to new ways of doing things if proven more efficient than what she's used to and maintaining consistency with the past. She seems to like it when things stay the same best, hates unpredictability and references things she's done before in order to figure out how to do new things, like intertwining past experience into present context. Has a hard time letting go of things, can hold grudges like no other. She also has an exponentially better long term memory than I do, whereas I have an exponentially better short-term memory than she does, but I'm not sure if that is due to being a Si-dom per say.
    Last edited by LadyLazarus; 04-06-2014 at 08:58 PM.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLazarus View Post
    From what I've noticed with my ISTJ sister; a bit fixated on tradition, although not resistant to new ways of doing things if proven more efficient than what she's used to and maintaining consistency with the past. She seems to like it when things stay the same best, hates unpredictability and references things she's done before in order to figure out how to do new things, like interviewing past experience into present context. Has a hard time letting go of things, can hold grudges like no other. She also has an exponentially better long term memory than I do, whereas I have an exponentially better short-term memory than she does, but I'm not sure if that is due to being a Si-dom per say.
    I have an abysmal short-term memory, but a decent long-term memory (though I botch some of the details sometimes and I have to intend to store a memory to long term since I don't store automatically.)
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

This is a long post but I wrote a "pictorial guide" here.

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    You know how Ne will take a look at the world and see a stream of conceptual meanings in addition to 3-D objects? I feel that Si is like that too, except the meanings are not as free-flowing. More like a pond than a stream. And it is all completely personal, not built upon verifiable abstract qualities as it is with Ne. It is directly connected to whatever went on in you internally while that experience was being experienced.
    And from another post:

Quote Originally Posted by Noon
    In my mind, the difference is like this: Si associations are a chain of falling dominoes, though not always in a single line, while Ne associations are the billiard balls shooting off [after the white ball hits].
    Quote Originally Posted by Noon
    The worst thing about having prominent Si is feeling like I am in a constant battle against time's natural [and inevitable] erosion of my world. So sometimes I find it's like... outside can feel surreal while I know that inside is what I can trust. Inside does not change so much as it expands.
    In a single line I'd say Si is just abstracting the concrete; having a static abstract attitude in the context of the material world.

RDF

Much has been said in this thread about the Si-Dom's ability to store and retrieve facts, and that's undoubtedly a key part of what they do. But less has been said about what exactly they do with those facts: They generate rules.

To compare Si to Se:

Se operates on an ad-hoc basis, coming up with real-time interactive tools for real-time problems. Si, on the other hand, takes problems down into an internal laboratory and works out tools for a given specific problem as well as a number of related problems, i.e., it works out a personal *rule-based system* for handling a broad array of similar problems. In that respect, Si works out a kind of internal "delta" of Se. That is, it tracks lots of Se possibilities and works out an internal, personalized Si system for handling them.

Or in more practical terms:

Si intercepts, stores, and categorizes lots of data. Then it compares the data to each other to determine "best practices" for doing things, determine progress in things (change over time), etc. From that, Si can then generate rules and "automate" lots of daily routines for the sake of increased productivity: Where is the best place to buy furniture, what is the quickest way to put on make-up in the morning, what is the best way to balance their checkbook, etc. (I was married to an ISTJ for 10 years, and she was one of the most productive people I've ever known.)

It's this rule-making function that makes Si-Doms and Si-Auxes good at such jobs as the military, police, etc.: They love the standardization and automation of procedures for greater productivity, resulting in a natural affinity for environments that favor rules.

I posted a similar analysis about Ne vs. Ni in this thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post2265546

With regard to Ne vs. Ni, I said, "Ne is ad hoc and operates out in the world; whereas Ni takes things down into an internal laboratory and tries to extract the *principles* that motivate or connect together related issues or events in the outer world."

Similarly, Se is ad hoc and operates out in the world; whereas Si takes things down into an internal laboratory and tries to extract the *rules* that motivate or connect together related issues or events in the outer world.

By the same token, Si-Inferior (shared by ENFPs and ENTPs) isn't just obliviousness to details; it's also a lack of trust in rule-based systems, automation, and repetitiveness. Hence, Ne-Doms (who share Si-Inferior) tend to want to do everything ad-hoc and fresh every time, as opposed to automating things; they hate routine because routine is repetitive and demands the generation of rule-based systems for proper mastery.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by FLD View Post
    MBy the same token, Si-Inferior (shared by ENFPs and ENTPs) isn't just obliviousness to details; it's also a lack of trust in rule-based systems, automation, and repetitiveness. Hence, Ne-Doms (who share Si-Inferior) tend to want to do everything ad-hoc and fresh every time, as opposed to automating things; they hate routine because routine is repetitive and demands the generation of rule-based systems for proper mastery.
    Confirmed.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

From PimpinMcBoltage's post of Jung's description, this bit caught my eye:

Whereas, the extraverted sensation-type is determined by the intensity of the objective influence, the introverted type is orientated by the intensity of the subjective sensation-constituent released by the objective stimulus. Obviously, therefore, no sort of proportional relation exists between object and sensation, but something that is apparently quite irregular and arbitrary judging from without, therefore, it is practically impossible to foretell what will make an impression and what will not.
    I remember the taste of a yogurt drink (I didn't know what it was at the time.) that I liked when I was four. I remember the feel of softness of the fur from my 3rd grade teacher's pet dog. I remember the expression of a friend's face in 5th grade when she got a paper cut. There are many such small experiences that have seared into my memory from decades back. I have no idea what will stick in my mind, but it's usually things I like.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    From PimpinMcBoltage's post of Jung's description, this bit caught my eye:

I remember the taste of a yogurt drink (I didn't know what it was at the time.) that I liked when I was four. I remember the feel of softness of the fur from my 3rd grade teacher's pet dog. I remember the expression of a friend's face in 5th grade when she got a paper cut. There are many such small experiences that have seared into my memory from decades back. I have no idea what will stick in my mind, but it's usually things I like.
    For comparison to inferior-Si, I remember burning my finger in a candle, then the scene jumps to me being held upside down and spanked by someone, then I remember trying to tell my mom about a card with the face up and all I could say is “up,” and she thought that meant “shut up,” so she slapped me. Most of my memories are pretty vague, unless something reminds me of something else and a vivid recollection flashes up.

However, I have nearly encyclopedic knowledge of abstract phenomena I read about years ago if I need it to awnser a question.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan