• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISFP vs ISFJ

Sunny Ghost

What are the differences between these two types?

I would prefer responses that delve a little deeper than stating how one is more organized or structured. :dry: For an ISFP, I'm actually quite organized. I like keeping the house clean. So forth. And I've known an ISFJ who was regularly late for work.

So how does one who use Si/Fe differ from one who uses Fi/Se?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To me it seems there is a huge difference between Se and Si... Se flows through the moment, noticing important concrete elements, understanding where the most powerful paths of action are, seeing where the potential energy lies. Si is observant and present-attuned but it's more like gathering, collecting, keeping. Se flows while Si stays put and adds to its collection, constantly cross-referencing the gathered and the present.

And then Fe and Fi... Fe is much more attuned to the "in betweens", to the needs of the other person, to the interpersonal environment. Fi is much more attuned to inner processes and to the internal landscapes of other people.

The energies are different... ISFP is more relaxed and empathetic while ISFJ is more grounded and conscientious.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Fi is much more attuned to inner processes and to the internal landscapes of other people.

Other people? I was always under the impression that it was more self-referential.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Other people? I was always under the impression that it was more self-referential.

Oh, definitely!

But I think because of that, Fi users tend to account more for other people's inner workings - being more aware of the internal process, nuance in emotion, others wanting or needing space and time, and so on. Fi tends to be live and let live, and I think part of that is being sort of self-obsessive but the other part of that is not wanting to intrude upon others' privacy and freedom, either.

Like the way Fi users will often talk about themselves and not do much prompting of others: one, because it's expected that others will chime in about themselves if and when they feeling like sharing, instead of putting others on the spot if they don't feel like sharing, and two, sharing in a self-referential way because one's only real basis for knowledge is oneself, and it'd be false to try speak for someone else's experience.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Fi tends to be live and let live...the other part of that is not wanting to intrude upon others' privacy and freedom, either.

So you're saying that Fi is basically Canada in a function?

All joking aside, I can relate to most of this in both paragraphs.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So you're saying that Fi is basically Canada in a function?

All joking aside, I can relate to most of this in both paragraphs.

Lol! That's a great metaphor! :laugh:

Anyway, cool. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That's such a common misconception. We're interested in someone's core personality. Their motivations and priorities. How it relates to them without any other influences.

It's not as tho we don't care about other people that we only care about ourself. It's what's important to me... Does such and such jive with my personal belief system?? What is this persons believe system? Who are they when no one is looking??

Sunny Ghost

Oh, definitely!

But I think because of that, Fi users tend to account more for other people's inner workings - being more aware of the internal process, nuance in emotion, others wanting or needing space and time, and so on. Fi tends to be live and let live, and I think part of that is being sort of self-obsessive but the other part of that is not wanting to intrude upon others' privacy and freedom, either.

Like the way Fi users will often talk about themselves and not do much prompting of others: one, because it's expected that others will chime in about themselves if and when they feeling like sharing, instead of putting others on the spot if they don't feel like sharing, and two, sharing in a self-referential way because one's only real basis for knowledge is oneself, and it'd be false to try speak for someone else's experience.
That's perfect and I concur.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
What are the differences between these two types?

I would prefer responses that delve a little deeper than stating how one is more organized or structured. :dry: For an ISFP, I'm actually quite organized. I like keeping the house clean. So forth. And I've known an ISFJ who was regularly late for work.

So how does one who use Si/Fe differ from one who uses Fi/Se?

ISFP's are type A (judging function dominant)
ISFJ's are type B (Perception function dominant)

:shocking:

ISFP's are rather sadististic or masochistic at times, as they have that Se aggression.
ISFJ's are very maternal and caring.

ISFP's are extremely emotionally intense and prone to bouts of powerful melancholy (See band: Type O-Negative)
ISFJ's are very lighthearted, and can be rather eccentric and ENTP-like in their behavior. Quirkey and goofy. (see band: lindsay sterling)

ISFP's are rather judgemental, and can sometimes come off as self righteous (Dominant Fi).
ISFJ's are not judgemental at all, and are rather conflict avoidant.

ISFJ's are not threatened by dynamic social groups that always change.
ISFP's often have very rigid and solid group of friends that they do not want to change.

ISFP's can be very paranoid and defensive, and aggressive.
ISFJ's are often times very unaggressive and not very defensive.

Both will give you a lot of help if you ask for it.
both can be very caring toward their loved ones.
both can be very physically active
both can be quiet and closed off

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm...I'll give it a shot.

The ISFP I know is good at "flowing". His feelings and thoughts run very deep but he mostly keeps that to himself. He's good at expressing himself if he feels it's the right thing to do. He takes his responsibilities very seriously and is conscientious. He is also quite a clown, verbally quick, sure of himself and not easily flustered. He shows care for another mainly by making sure that their physical surroundings are pleasant to be in and by sharing space (if that's needed). He's good at figuring out what others need or don't by just observing but does not ever intrude on others.

I was going to comment on ISFJ but I can't. My ex is one but he's not healthy so I don't think it would be all that helpful.

S

Stansmith

ISFP's are rather sadististic or masochistic at times, as they have that Se aggression.

ISFP's are extremely emotionally intense and prone to bouts of powerful melancholy (See band: Type O-Negative)
ISFJ's are very lighthearted, and can be rather eccentric and ENTP-like in their behavior. Quirkey and goofy. (see band: lindsay sterling)

ISFP's are rather judgemental, and can sometimes come off as self righteous (Dominant Fi).

ISFP's often have very rigid and solid group of friends that they do not want to change.

Sounds like an Sx/Sp description. I feel like some are gentler than that.

Sunny Ghost

I felt like most of these heavily focused on the negative aspects of ISFP and pros of ISFJ.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
His videos are very good. Thanks for the link.

The problem with dave superpowers is that he'll talk about the functions correctly, and then apply the wrong stereotypes to those functions with a swapped J/P. So he labels ISFP's as hippie flower children and ISFJ's as police officers. Its actually the other way around. ISFP's have Se which makes them aggressive and their primary function is a judging function, which makes them rigid and stern with regard to that function (in this case, Fi).

Sunny Ghost

The problem with dave superpowers is that he'll talk about the functions correctly, and then apply the wrong stereotypes to those functions with a swapped J/P. So he labels ISFP's as hippie flower children and ISFJ's as police officers. Its actually the other way around. ISFP's have Se which makes them aggressive and their primary function is a judging function, which makes them rigid and stern with regard to that function (in this case, Fi).

It is rather true though. At least on the surface. ISFP's more often have a more hippy vibe. But become aggressive about that which they believe in. ISFJ's tend to come off as more traditional and play the more traditional role, but cater more to other's emotions to bring about peace.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some general characteristics that I have observed:
- ISFJs tend to have better social skills and are more verbally articulate
- ISFPs perception seems to be more oriented towards noticing what is going on around them in the immediate environment
- ISFJ's perception is more focused on comparing presently observed information and comparing it to the past (is somone acting in a way that is consistent with the past? if not, they immediately notice the difference). They can be extremely perceptive this way
- ISFPs exhibit more of a youthful silliness while ISFJs can have more of a quirky sense of humor
- Both can be stubborn - the ISFP will be normally very flexible and suddenly immovable about particular things and the ISFJ will be always very nice but stubborn in a passive aggressive way

Sunny Ghost

Some general characteristics that I have observed:
- ISFJs tend to have better social skills and are more verbally articulate
- ISFPs perception seems to be more oriented towards noticing what is going on around them in the immediate environment
- ISFJ's perception is more focused on comparing presently observed information and comparing it to the past (is somone acting in a way that is consistent with the past? if not, they immediately notice the difference). They can be extremely perceptive this way
- ISFPs exhibit more of a youthful silliness while ISFJs can have more of a quirky sense of humor
- Both can be stubborn - the ISFP will be normally very flexible and suddenly immovable about particular things and the ISFJ will be always very nice but stubborn in a passive aggressive way

Thanks (everyone)! I think you're definitely correct, Highlander.

For some reason lately, I've been second guessing my ISFP-ness. I've just changed a lot as I've gotten older. But that is supposed to happen and I realize this. I live, I learn, I grow from my mistakes. In a lot of ways, I feel as though I can mimick ISFJ, or xSFJ type behavior. My mother is an ISFP who, too, came to mimick ISFJ type behavior. I'm quite a bit like her. I'm definitely still ISFP and I'm very certain of this. I'm less selfish, less sensitive, more attuned to other's needs (often freakishly anticipating other's needs, which comes in very handy for my work as a bartender and nurse aid in an old folks home), I'm super aware of all duties that need to be done around the house and often become a little annoyed by my younger ISFP roommate who never seems to notice when the sink is overflowing with dishes. I'm also better at reasoning and more articulate than I used to be. Those lower functions started kicking in. I guess I'm just maturing. Finally. :shock: :D