First 123 Last

Thread: ISFP vs ISFJ

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Hmm...I'll give it a shot.

The ISFP I know is good at "flowing". His feelings and thoughts run very deep but he mostly keeps that to himself. He's good at expressing himself if he feels it's the right thing to do. He takes his responsibilities very seriously and is conscientious. He is also quite a clown, verbally quick, sure of himself and not easily flustered. He shows care for another mainly by making sure that their physical surroundings are pleasant to be in and by sharing space (if that's needed). He's good at figuring out what others need or don't by just observing but does not ever intrude on others.

I was going to comment on ISFJ but I can't. My ex is one but he's not healthy so I don't think it would be all that helpful.

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    ISFP's are type A (judging function dominant)
    ISFJ's are type B (Perception function dominant)

ISFP's are rather sadististic or masochistic at times, as they have that Se aggression.
    ISFJ's are very maternal and caring.

ISFP's are extremely emotionally intense and prone to bouts of powerful melancholy (See band: Type O-Negative)
    ISFJ's are very lighthearted, and can be rather eccentric and ENTP-like in their behavior. Quirkey and goofy. (see band: lindsay sterling)

ISFP's are rather judgemental, and can sometimes come off as self righteous (Dominant Fi).
    ISFJ's are not judgemental at all, and are rather conflict avoidant.

ISFJ's are not threatened by dynamic social groups that always change.
    ISFP's often have very rigid and solid group of friends that they do not want to change.

ISFP's can be very paranoid and defensive, and aggressive.
    ISFJ's are often times very unaggressive and not very defensive.

Both will give you a lot of help if you ask for it.
    both can be very caring toward their loved ones.
    both can be very physically active
    both can be quiet and closed off
    Sounds like an Sx/Sp description. I feel like some are gentler than that.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

ISFP's are type A (judging function dominant)
    ISFJ's are type B (Perception function dominant)

ISFP's are rather sadististic or masochistic at times, as they have that Se aggression.
    ISFJ's are very maternal and caring.

ISFP's are extremely emotionally intense and prone to bouts of powerful melancholy (See band: Type O-Negative)
    ISFJ's are very lighthearted, and can be rather eccentric and ENTP-like in their behavior. Quirkey and goofy. (see band: lindsay sterling)

ISFP's are rather judgemental, and can sometimes come off as self righteous (Dominant Fi).
    ISFJ's are not judgemental at all, and are rather conflict avoidant.

ISFJ's are not threatened by dynamic social groups that always change.
    ISFP's often have very rigid and solid group of friends that they do not want to change.

ISFP's can be very paranoid and defensive, and aggressive.
    ISFJ's are often times very unaggressive and not very defensive.

Both will give you a lot of help if you ask for it.
    both can be very caring toward their loved ones.
    both can be very physically active
    both can be quiet and closed off
    I felt like most of these heavily focused on the negative aspects of ISFP and pros of ISFJ.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

His videos are very good. Thanks for the link.
    -John Green

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I felt like most of these heavily focused on the negative aspects of ISFP and pros of ISFJ.
    No. I like all of the qualities listed for both. The intensity of ISFP's vs the fun of ISFP's.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    His videos are very good. Thanks for the link.
    The problem with dave superpowers is that he'll talk about the functions correctly, and then apply the wrong stereotypes to those functions with a swapped J/P. So he labels ISFP's as hippie flower children and ISFJ's as police officers. Its actually the other way around. ISFP's have Se which makes them aggressive and their primary function is a judging function, which makes them rigid and stern with regard to that function (in this case, Fi).

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

The problem with dave superpowers is that he'll talk about the functions correctly, and then apply the wrong stereotypes to those functions with a swapped J/P. So he labels ISFP's as hippie flower children and ISFJ's as police officers. Its actually the other way around. ISFP's have Se which makes them aggressive and their primary function is a judging function, which makes them rigid and stern with regard to that function (in this case, Fi).
    It is rather true though. At least on the surface. ISFP's more often have a more hippy vibe. But become aggressive about that which they believe in. ISFJ's tend to come off as more traditional and play the more traditional role, but cater more to other's emotions to bring about peace.
    -John Green

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Some general characteristics that I have observed:
    - ISFJs tend to have better social skills and are more verbally articulate
    - ISFPs perception seems to be more oriented towards noticing what is going on around them in the immediate environment
    - ISFJ's perception is more focused on comparing presently observed information and comparing it to the past (is somone acting in a way that is consistent with the past? if not, they immediately notice the difference). They can be extremely perceptive this way
    - ISFPs exhibit more of a youthful silliness while ISFJs can have more of a quirky sense of humor
    - Both can be stubborn - the ISFP will be normally very flexible and suddenly immovable about particular things and the ISFJ will be always very nice but stubborn in a passive aggressive way

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Some general characteristics that I have observed:
    - ISFJs tend to have better social skills and are more verbally articulate
    - ISFPs perception seems to be more oriented towards noticing what is going on around them in the immediate environment
    - ISFJ's perception is more focused on comparing presently observed information and comparing it to the past (is somone acting in a way that is consistent with the past? if not, they immediately notice the difference). They can be extremely perceptive this way
    - ISFPs exhibit more of a youthful silliness while ISFJs can have more of a quirky sense of humor
    - Both can be stubborn - the ISFP will be normally very flexible and suddenly immovable about particular things and the ISFJ will be always very nice but stubborn in a passive aggressive way
    Thanks (everyone)! I think you're definitely correct, Highlander.

For some reason lately, I've been second guessing my ISFP-ness. I've just changed a lot as I've gotten older. But that is supposed to happen and I realize this. I live, I learn, I grow from my mistakes. In a lot of ways, I feel as though I can mimick ISFJ, or xSFJ type behavior. My mother is an ISFP who, too, came to mimick ISFJ type behavior. I'm quite a bit like her. I'm definitely still ISFP and I'm very certain of this. I'm less selfish, less sensitive, more attuned to other's needs (often freakishly anticipating other's needs, which comes in very handy for my work as a bartender and nurse aid in an old folks home), I'm super aware of all duties that need to be done around the house and often become a little annoyed by my younger ISFP roommate who never seems to notice when the sink is overflowing with dishes. I'm also better at reasoning and more articulate than I used to be. Those lower functions started kicking in. I guess I'm just maturing. Finally.
    -John Green