User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IsFj

Default ISFJ characteristics. What sets you apart?

Hello, I'm relatively new to the forum but hoping you would all be kind enough to help me out. While I am new to the site, I've been into Myers-Briggs for quite a while. Between tests, research, and introspection, I know that I am either an ISFJ or an INFP. Which one suits me more, I'm not sure (I always test close to the S/N line as well as the J/P line, but I do know that I have some combination of Si-Ne/Ne-Si, which at least rules out ISFP and INFJ). At times I feel I am very ISFJ, and other times I feel I am very INFP. On most occasions I feel I am both simultaneously.

So I was hoping any ISFJs out there (or those who know them well) could help me out by posting key characteristics that set ISFJs apart from all other types. I'm looking for fresh, personal insight here, not just your run-of-the-mill mbti lists of traits. Things you see in yourself or others that immediately and uniquely tell you they are an ISFJ and not any other type.

I'll be posting a similar thread in the NF section of the forum as well. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

now you just have to find out if your judging style fit FiTe or FeTi better.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

GAAAHH I wrote up this nice long list and it deleted everything!!!

Let's try this again...

1) I have a tendency of remembering a lot of shit, some of it kind of useless.

2) I greatly dislike conflict. I would rather adapt too, flow around, or outright avoid people I don't like than confront them. "Be as water" as the Tao Te Ching says and I like to be that way. That being said, I can confront someone if I need too but I greatly dislike doing so. Quickest way to discover that you've pissed me off is when I'm suddenly gone and vanished from your life.

3) I am very very sensitive. I try not to be, but I bruise easily and I remember slights. I think this is one of the chief things people dislike about ISFJs.

4) I have a hard time letting go of people or things that I love. It can take me months, if not years, to get over someone and up and until last Saturday I was carrying around a box that had my (long since busted) SNES and all of my games. It was a huge childhood momento and I just couldn't part without it.

5) Past experience heavily influences, if not outright dictates, my actions. I value consistency very heavily which is why actions are FAR more important to me than words.

If I think of anything else I'll drop them in
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    IsFj

now you just have to find out if your judging style fit FiTe or FeTi better.
    @Kayness-- that's my problem. I feel like both my Fe and Fi are pretty high, but my Fe is probably higher. As far as Ti/Te go, I'm not sure. My boyfriend assures me that I "must be a P" (he is however, very J, so maybe it's hard for him to see a borderline J/P as a J). If "must be a P" though, and I know that I am Si/Ne and Fe, where does that leave me?

@tinker683-- thank you for your input. All of that does sound very much like me.

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Ayelless View Post
    @Kayness-- that's my problem. I feel like both my Fe and Fi are pretty high, but my Fe is probably higher. As far as Ti/Te go, I'm not sure. My boyfriend assures me that I "must be a P" (he is however, very J, so maybe it's hard for him to see a borderline J/P as a J). If "must be a P" though, and I know that I am Si/Ne and Fe, where does that leave me?

@tinker683-- thank you for your input. All of that does sound very much like me.
    if you Si Ne and Fe you can be xSFJ or xNTP. maybe ISFJ.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Nobody really knows what ISFJ characteristics are, since so few ever pay or care enough to pay attention to notice them in the first place.

This has less to do with ISFJ's possessing an uninteresting nature than it does with generalised assumptions of type.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    IsFj

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Nobody really knows what ISFJ characteristics are, since so few ever pay or care enough to pay attention to notice them in the first place.

This has less to do with ISFJ's possessing an uninteresting nature than it does with generalised assumptions of type.

That's very interesting. It has seemed, through my research, that there is so much less "fun" stuff about ISFJs. Which might be part of the reason why I've been heading towards INFP.

MBTI
    IsFj

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post

That's very interesting. It has seemed, through my research, that there is so much less "fun" stuff about ISFJs. Which might be part of the reason why I've been heading towards INFP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Oh, pff, ISFJs are great.

Both ISFJ and INFP are generally conscientious, gentle, thoughtful, serene, a little anxious, imaginative, deeply compassionate, and non-confrontational. But ISFJs are first and foremost active protectors, and INFPs are first and foremost heady dreamers. ISFJs have outward-directed ethics, strongly characterized by responsibility/duty, and more of a quiet inward creativity - an ISFJ will do first and dream later. INFPs have more of an outward-directed creativity, and inward-directed ethical rumination, characterized by development of a very strong internal values base - the INFP will dream first and do later. INFPs are better in touch with their own personal emotions, while ISFJs have a better radar for the feelings of others. ISFJs also tend to be very good at creating aesthetic and comfortable spaces, while INFPs are more likely to be into theorizing and original art based on more universal ideals and principles. As a final pointer ISFJs tend to run a little early, and INFPs a little late!

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram

I can be very prone to hatred, sadly.... I am absolutely wrathful in revenge as well. I tend to be extremely overprotective of friends, and jealous in some ways. But I am a friend for life. I never mean any harm to anyone, but I will fight tooth and nail for something I believe in. I generally can be distrustful of people I perceive to be a threat, and many times I have been hostile.