User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default NT's and SJ's working together

I have a new colleague that I've been working with for the past month who I believe is an NT. I'm still not sure if he's NTJ or NTP but he's definitely full of ideas.

The thing is, we HAVE to work together on a project with a deadline and it's just the two of us doing this. Here is where the problems come in....

I love his ideas (it's one of the things that excited me about working with him) but we have work to get done and he keeps coming up with new ideas every week on how to get the project done rather than just doing it the tried and true way that has been done in the past - which, at this point, since we've wasted so much time talking about his ideas, is what I want to do now.

I know this sounds so stereotypically NT vs SJ but I don't know what to do now. How do I get him to produce the results by the deadline yet let him crank out his new ideas?

I have more on the line than him if this doesn't get done because he can more easily find a new job due to his credentials and experience (which I don't have).

And before anyone says.... I have already explained this to him a few times, to which he replies that he understands and for me not to worry, that he will get it done the old way, but then 2 days later he's back to focusing on a new idea and hasn't done any work.

Please help an SJ work well with an NT.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

What I tend to do in those situations is emphasize to the NT, throughout the entire brainstorming process, that we need to focus on what's doable, with the resources we have, and with the time allotted. Being logical people -- if not always practical -- they can't really argue with the necessity of that point, so it gives our brainstorming a framework and limits the NT's wealth of ideas to a much shorter list.

Edit: Of course, it sounds like you have a very limited amount of time left. You'll probably have to really put your foot down. Easier for a Te-dom like me, probably, than for you. But unless you're extremely clear, I don't know if he'll get the message. He needs to know that it's in his interest to keep his eyes on the prize and get it done quickly, I think. Hence the "doable... with the time allotted", in the previous paragraph.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Sil liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I think you should play it like you'd love to continue with the new ideas but the higher ups just want it to get done. I know I also respond to things having to get done. don't be afraid to say "look these ideas are good but we need to make a plan and get it done". Also long as it seems more of a team thing than a bossy thing I think the NT would respond well.

For me personally I respond best when people make me feel like a valuable team member by outlining what it is that needs to be done rather than trying to manipulate or boss me into doing things. If I like/respect people, I'll get things done for them. If I don't have a clear picture of "why" things need to happen I just push against that. I think I actually appreciate being reigned in but I need concrete reasons why or it just won't seem real to me. Also, I don't know if this is all NTs but I tend to procrastinate and then hammer out a project at the end. Free running ideas for 80% of the project and then one or two sessions of non-stop, focused execution. It's easier for me to stay up for two days than to work in small increments. My SJ friend prefers to plan everything because she know she can't put aside things like eating or sleeping or her numerous other schedule activities. Where I see 72 hours of time left, she sees 24 hours of available work time. So maybe your partner doesn't feel the same time crunch as you yet

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Probably needs to be reprimanded by upper management...if you've already told him that everything needs to be done quickly, there doesn't seem much you can do.

Edit: an organizatiorial possibility could be the following: there is an allotted amount of time per day (say, 1.5-2 hours) in which he can/will work on his ideas. For the rest of the time, he has to execute "normal" work. This setup would have the added benefit that he would be forced to work more intensively during those 2 hours, and maybe bring one idea to fruition.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    And before anyone says.... I have already explained this to him a few times, to which he replies that he understands and for me not to worry, that he will get it done the old way, but then 2 days later he's back to focusing on a new idea and hasn't done any work.

Sounds more like INTP than INTJ to me. INTJ is usually quite willing and able to work to a deadline, and might be driving YOU to stay on track. Have you tried sitting down with him and together planning out how you will get the project done in the allotted time? This plan can include some of his new ideas, as well as established ones that would be useful. This would also show if his idea of available time remaining coincides with yours.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I have a new colleague that I've been working with for the past month who I believe is an NT. I'm still not sure if he's NTJ or NTP but he's definitely full of ideas.
    The thing is, we HAVE to work together on a project with a deadline and it's just the two of us doing this. Here is where the problems come in....

can't say this guy is NT just because he comes up with ideas. He evidently has no idea how to do the work required. What he is is a flake. I don't subscribe to the half-baked idea that flake = INTP. I for one would brook none of this flaky nonsense, so I'd be de-partnered from this jerk in a minute.

Whenever he claims you shouldn't worry and that he'll do it the old way, do you point out that he's said that before and you're nowhere closer to the goal? Maybe he's not doing the work the old way because he doesn't know how, and he's hoping/expecting that you'll do the work for both.

Suggest that you absolutely need to move ahead, and his strategy is not working for you, so if he's unable to do what's required then you two will have to speak with your supervisor to help him find his way or go your separate ways on this project. It's nice to not want to rat him out to superiors, but in no circumstance should you jeopardize your own position.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Maybe since NTs think of time as segmented blocks of time instead of your usual continuum of time, he may be envisioning doing his work at the last minute, or..block of time as he sees it.

One idea might be to go-ahead and make a project schedule and delegate inch-stones for each team member to track progress of project stages complete, although some NTs wouldn't like this approach. Teammate accomplishments could be tracked say, in one column yours, checkmarking, and in another column, his. Then keep your management updated once a week or every two days. That way management sees who's responsible for what.

If anything else, management should know Your responsibilities, progress and efforts. If it's the team that you're responsible for, which it kinda sounds like the project may have been given to you that way, that sucks due to the circumstances. (I don't know how big your company is) but on the bright side, it's always acceptable to ask management for additional help/people to get a project done. That way you avoid criticizing another's work. That's what I would do.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Probably needs to be reprimanded by upper management...if you've already told him that everything needs to be done quickly, there doesn't seem much you can do.

Edit: an organizatiorial possibility could be the following: there is an allotted amount of time per day (say, 1.5-2 hours) in which he can/will work on his ideas. For the rest of the time, he has to execute "normal" work. This setup would have the added benefit that he would be forced to work more intensively during those 2 hours, and maybe bring one idea to fruition.

I think the NTJ vs NTP really matters. I know this would not work for me^.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I think the NTJ vs NTP really matters. I know this would not work for me^.
    Would not work for me either, to be completel honest, lol.

But letting everything pile up until the deadline is near does not seem to be compatible with Giggly's goals.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

In my opinion, your work buddy sounds like he is probably an INTJ.

Reason - the focus on advancing new ideas into a plan of action in accordance with his own vision, which is very much like what Dario Nardi describes as the Process Manager and Purposeful Futurist brain functions, the former dealing with brainstorming for progress on projects, and the latter dealing with forseeing potential developments for change.

Based on my studies of personality psychology, though all NTs could potentially possess these traits, an INTJ in the mix is most likely the best expert at doing what I described above.