User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments.

This is a new working relationship and I think I'm just going to be confused and biting my nails until the deadline comes.

*sigh*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I have a new colleague that I've been working with for the past month who I believe is an NT. I'm still not sure if he's NTJ or NTP but he's definitely full of ideas.

The thing is, we HAVE to work together on a project with a deadline and it's just the two of us doing this. Here is where the problems come in....

I love his ideas (it's one of the things that excited me about working with him) but we have work to get done and he keeps coming up with new ideas every week on how to get the project done rather than just doing it the tried and true way that has been done in the past - which, at this point, since we've wasted so much time talking about his ideas, is what I want to do now.

I know this sounds so stereotypically NT vs SJ but I don't know what to do now. How do I get him to produce the results by the deadline yet let him crank out his new ideas?

I have more on the line than him if this doesn't get done because he can more easily find a new job due to his credentials and experience (which I don't have).

And before anyone says.... I have already explained this to him a few times, to which he replies that he understands and for me not to worry, that he will get it done the old way, but then 2 days later he's back to focusing on a new idea and hasn't done any work.

Please help an SJ work well with an NT.
    Sorry to hear about this frustrating situation you're in, Giggly. I say smack him! No, just kidding. You should discuss this with him one more time including pointing out that you don't mean to re-hash an old issue but that you're concerned that he's not making any progress on the project, that he promises to go back to the "old way" but doesn't, which is putting you in a difficult situation as a colleague. Maybe he really will get all of the work at the last second done and just has a different style of working than you or maybe he really just doesn't have any focus and isn't being realistic about the deadline. If it gets close enough to the deadline that it's obvious he won't finish all of his work in time, then speak with your supervisor about this.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments.

This is a new working relationship and I think I'm just going to be confused and biting my nails until the deadline comes.

*sigh*
    Sorry, buddy.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Give him smaller deadlines- just explaining that you need to get stuff done may not work. Bring the bottom line to him. "This needs to be done at this time on this date" may work. It sounds like he's open and understanding but can't help straying from the goals. It's definitely a perceiver thing, sounds like Ne all the way. NTJ's would pick a good idea and stick with it and move a lot faster.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Would not work for me either, to be completel honest, lol.

But letting everything pile up until the deadline is near does not seem to be compatible with Giggly's goals.

Yeah but putting her NT on a leash is going to piss it off and probably stifle a lot of it's productivity.

I hate group projects. Usually I just take my peice and work alone.

I just thought, maybe if she made time part of the problem? NTs like a challenge and being able to solve problems. If she frames the job not just as doing x, but as doing x by y time she can get the NT "need to succeed" drive going.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

He promised me he'll get some work done today! *crosses fingers*

I love group work when we get things done. I don't like it when we don't.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    What he is is a flake. I don't subscribe to the half-baked idea that flake = INTP. I for one would brook none of this flaky nonsense, so I'd be de-partnered from this jerk in a minute.
    This. *Unless*... he can actually back his methods up with results. Does he have a history of getting things done? Or is he new at your company? Don't get me wrong - some NTP's really *are* flaky and will take advantage of more industrious co-workers, even dragging you down with them. But there are others whose methods may appear flaky to more organized folks, but who produce excellent results very efficiently -- when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    One idea might be to go-ahead and make a project schedule and delegate inch-stones for each team member to track progress of project stages complete, although some NTs wouldn't like this approach. Teammate accomplishments could be tracked say, in one column yours, checkmarking, and in another column, his. Then keep your management updated once a week or every two days. That way management sees who's responsible for what..
    Instead of this, just shoot him. He'll thank you. This is *not* the way to get any NTP I've ever met (especially myself :p) to even give you the time of day. Seriously... there is almost *nothing* you could do to me at work that would offend me more than this. Hiring your 16-year old brother to manage my 41-year old experienced self might be close. Maybe. Either would make me totally disengage from you, your intended result, and any sense of obligation to do anything but look for other employment. And yes, I am understating this. This may be a great solution with the way some people like to work, but based on your description of the guy above, I'd never even broach the topic. It won't work, and simply bringing up the idea will do more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Yeah but putting her NT on a leash is going to piss it off and probably stifle a lot of it's productivity.

I hate group projects. Usually I just take my peice and work alone.

*crosses fingers*
    Honestly, it sounds like the two of you simply aren't a good mix. Not that it's any of your fault, but what are the chances that you can get this assignment done and then work with someone else the next time around? Even if this guy turns out to be one of those "burn the midnight oil" deadline-achievers, and your project is well-received, he's going to burn you to a crisp doing it. There are lots of different ways to achieve a goal, but not all of them are inter-compatible in group scenarios... and the NP vs SJ viewpoints are particularly angst-anger-frustration-inducing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    One idea might be to go-ahead and make a project schedule and delegate inch-stones for each team member to track progress of project stages complete, although some NTs wouldn't like this approach. Teammate accomplishments could be tracked say, in one column yours, checkmarking, and in another column, his. Then keep your management updated once a week or every two days. That way management sees who's responsible for what.
    I'm going to append a bit to my earlier post. Of course, Craic did say that this suggestion wouldn't go over well with some NT's (I did see this the first time, but simply didn't reference it directly - thought it was obvious). None of that was meant to be an indictment of you, Craic. Let's just say that I have a lot of *old* history with people using pretty much this exact tactic on me (despite the fact that calling me out on performance was unwarranted, even in their own words - and yet they continued to do this), and yes, it hits a sore spot.

Of course, the response you'll get to any sort of workplace suggestion will vary a lot depending on the nature of the request and the other person involved. My point was, if perhaps a bit excitedly made, simply that this particular suggestion is very likely to cause more trouble than it's worth with someone like Giggly describes. Some things really are difficult to overstate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Update:

At 3pm today, I checked in and he had not done any work. I was so discouraged and felt hopeless. I left him a text at that time asking him what happened and didn't hear from him for hours. I thought he bailed. He then texted me just a few minutes ago telling me that he finished 1/4 of the work he had to do (what he said he'd do for today) and I checked and it's been done. Phew, I feel a little better now. He says he'll do the rest by the end of next week. Next Friday is our deadline so I hope he comes through! He did great.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Oh, and he didn't do it the "old" way. He did it the way he wanted (something new).

I don't care, though, as long as it looks good and works.